Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wow, this thing isnt until august?

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by jekbrown, Feb 8, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

holy poop! when this new forum poped up I didnt even look into it because my rig isnt ready for much of anything right now.....but its not till august! yikes! I could prolly be functional by then...man that would be an awesome run. Guess I am going to have to double my efforts with respect to saving money....need my D60! ;)

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

2. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Why does every want a dana 60?

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

3. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

For the size thier the best strength andd one of the biggest front axles chevy made.

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

4. speed_deed

I dont get it I guess. I didnt think a k5 needed all that much size up front

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

5. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

If you can afford it why not have it! I am going to scope the junkyard tomorrow for a front and rear D60 for my 83 K5 and pull an engine for a rebuild.(500 c.i. sounds about right)

I thought my Computer hobby was expensive......

6. speed_deed

Now the big a$$ engine i can understand. 500 WHY NOT 502??

7. smartpatrol

Cadillac didn't make a 502 he he.

8. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Thats why i went with 1 ton, for the 502!!!! should be in soon, he...he...he

live to wheel, wheel to live--1972 gmc jimmy 8 inch lift, 37" ssr's

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Why a D60? So you dont snap axel shafts like twigs as often. =p I am not the type of guy that hammers the skinny pedal every time he gets bogged down or stuck...but at the same time, a 1-ton front end allows me to give her a little gas and not worry so much about the axels....they will prolly hold a ok...especially with my lil 35" tires. ;) Besides, converting my 10 bolt to 8 lug to match the ff14b I have would be a pain in the heiny. =p

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Blazers weigh a LOT and weight is very hard on drivetrain. And with all the weight, it requires more power to turn it... meaning more likelyness to break. Blazers are in very much need of as much beef as they can get.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

11. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Exactly what Ken said, lol.

live to wheel, wheel to live--1972 gmc jimmy 8 inch lift, 37" ssr's

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i'll tell you exactly why i have 1-ton running gear. I don't enjoy broken parts, i am not rich enuff yet to have a parts truck in my back yard. plus my stuff was busted anyway, why not upgrade? I don't understand why you would not go for the 1-ton stuff under those circumstances...

-zakk

World's Fugliest 1-Ton '77 K5
    [​IMG] CK5's Moab 2002 or Bust!! [​IMG]

13. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Howzabout a 502 Ramjet. Chevys' new fuel injected big block monster. This thing is rated at 502 hp at 5100 rpm and a whoppin' 565 pounds of torque from 2200-5200 rpm!!!!!!!!! Can you say serious tire shreddage here or what. All this will run you about 10 or 11 grand U.S.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

14. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I need a D60... unless I can find a D70 front :-P the reason? I have a 7500 pound suburban to motivate around, and the D44 I have in it looks as tho its seen better days. I don't know much about axle rebuilding, but I figgure if its not on the truck, it should be a heck of a lot easier to do... at worst, I'll spring the extra loots on a boyce equipment, or other rebuilt and warranted D60.

before you ask why I need a D60, when there are plenty of people with ancient suburbans that ran the D44 fine, please remember: all those had a lil 350 in them... I'm building a 454 to put up front to motivate this thing, and I need as much strength as I can get out of the drivetrain. I actually have 2 engine choices right now: the first is a 454 bored .060 over (468) with a low end torque cam, headers, and matched Qjet, putting out 298 HP, and 540 Ft/Lbs. the other is a stock 454, with a recent rebuild, that might get new cam components, and fuel injection, vortech heads, and the works, if I can get the money put together for it. one of those goes in the 73 K20, the other goes/stays in either the 77 C20 or the 73 C10 suburbans as my sleeper/tow vehicle of DOOM... this all depends on my assessment of the C-10, and how workable it is at this point. if the C-10 has a bent frame, and becomes a `no hope lost cause' then I'll strip its guts out, build up the 454, and put it in the K20. if the frame is not screwed, then I'll put new sheetmetal on the front end, and decomission the 77 C20, which has seen better days... (the frame has been twisted either from a previous accident, or from my leadfooted behavior, and semi built 454) at anyrate, I've only got until august to make all this work, so I gotta get a move on...

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>Its a Wheelbase Thing... You Wouldn't Understand</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>CK5 SUB-culture</font color=red>

15. smartpatrol

engine out out a 70's cadillac 500 c.i.d. stock 400 hp all for $125 bucks at the junk yard. Rebuild with headers nice cam and intake manifold hp ? torque? $2500-$3000 www.cad500parts.com