Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wow, what a day!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryoken, Mar 14, 2006.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i haven't had a day this good in quite some time. :D

some may remember how frustrated i had been at the marina in recent years.. well, i just couldn't take it anymore after the winter layoff, this year was looking worse than ever.. so i quit a couple weeks ago..

i looked around at a few places, but finally decided to interview at a yard a couple miles from my marina.. very exclusive yard with a rep for being expensive.. no outside contractors allowed, all in-house work...

the service manager liked my application (i suppose cuz i had been at bluewater for 13 yrs and 5 yrs each at the 2 previous) and wanted a personal interview.. so i went in to talk to him this morn...

he asked me what job duties i had been performing... i always feel kinda wierd on that one... i'd like to be humble and not feel like i'm bragging or something, but the list is quite extensive so that seems hard...

so i ran thru the kinds of things i've done for him... basically anything except drive work... fiberglass/paint, electronics, rigging, repowers, some diesel, trannies, alot of alignment/shaft/prop work, shrinkwrapping, woodworking, etc, etc...

his eyes lit up.. i could tell he was pretty stoked.... needless to say, they wanted me... pay is actually a couple bucks more than i was making an hr, but the real bonus was, they pay 50% of medical after 6 months, 100% after a yr, and after 2 yrs they cover 75% of any dependents... 401k and profit sharing and eventually 3 weeks vacay...

i decide to celebrate with a skate session, as you've all heard me blubbering about, i've had the itch anyway.. it had been raining when i went for the job, but by the time i got out of the interview, the sun was poking thru and it just kinda seemed like it was meant to be...

had one of the best sessions i've had in a long time, guess it was the mental side of it.. the grinds where a little longer, the lines a little faster and even pulled a couple nice airs... i'm sooo exhausted right now, but i just feel great, physically and mentally.. i hadn't been on an interview in prolly 20 yrs, so i had been a little unsure of myself recently...

sorry for the ramble, i just needed to tell someone... :o

heres the park i skated today, skater built FDR, in Philly...
    [​IMG]

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Cool good for you.

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

cool. sounds like an awesome company to work for, especially if they pay 75% for depend. health insur.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, I remember all the crap you had to go through at that other place. It must be a real relief to learn that your skills are marketable and obviously in demand.

Congrats, brother. Thanks for sharing your good news with us.:thumb:

5. ryoken

thanks Can and everyone else, means alot, really does... :D

it was a good confidence boost... like i said, i had been outta the market for awhile and a little unsure... i'm very optimistic and kinda kicking myself for not having done it sooner..

now i just gotta get my monstrosity of a dent-free, magnetic and mic-ed box outta the old shop! :wink1:

haven't quite figured that one out yet... avoiding the whole forktruck it piece by piece into the K5 route... damn topbox is like 385# empty, and i don't even wanna think what the roll-cab weighs.. :doah:

think i may call my towtruck buddy and see about just strapping it to his rolloff... :doah: :haha:

6. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

thats pretty damn awesome. good for you. ive heard FDRs no joke. very good park.

7. ryoken

thanks Hans.... :D

yeah, it was some good skating... i've been there a couple times... some parts of the park are pretty damn burly! the infamous over-vert pocket is definitely not for the timid... i'm just happy getting a little fs grind on that..

the new bowl complex is sweet.. definitely some better concrete work in there... had to change out to a little grippier wheel with it being damp and all the painted surfaces..

and theres something soulful about skating there... the whole skater-built aspect of it i suppose.. kinda like Burnside out in Oregon, they're like the Holy Grails of skating.. much respect to the guys that built those places.. true dedication and heart!
    i'd love to make the trip to Burnside someday... :D
    [​IMG]

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You, the man!!! Congrats!!! :bow:

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That is great. I love it when things work out even better you thought they might.

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Congrats ryoken, you deserved a break. :bow:

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

X2 bitchen
    good job