Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WOW WOW...stupid driveshaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Apr 2, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

ok, i posted earlier some time about the clunk in the rear end, so i checked the u-joints..helps it but i was noticing today putting the new one on, that the holes for the joints to sit in, one has been streched out and is old, so im thinkin i need a new driveshaft!! sh!tty?? how much do they run..i dont have tons of money to buy a new one, but used is good?!!!
    help! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I had one made for about 350. Cheaper to find another truck at a junk yard, just takes longer sometimes.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Talk to Tim Shelton at Precision Products. He can probably replace the yoke for around 60-70 bucks. He told me he could build me a complete shaft for less than $300. His number is 882-8338

4. BSav

BSav Registered Member

My u joint in the rear went at about 45 mph right as I got off the high way The u joint pulled off so hard it made the hole an oval. I paid about 250 for a used drive shaft and a new one is about 500$
    Try to get a used and new u joints so you know they are new.
    Hope it helps.
    Brian Sav
    88 GMC Jimmy rebult 350, stock with chrome wheels(for speed)

5. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

I just had Mesa driveshafts weld on a new yoke and balance it, cost $170 but it was worth it I have no vibration /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. If money is tight, when is it not, you could do a temp fix which will not eleminate all of the vibration and would not trust it off-road but gets you on the road. Take a hardened steel center punch and go around the inside and tap indents about every 1/8" try and stay centered this will create high points that the cap will press into.

Jay /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

That happened to mine and I had a new yoke welded on for $87. Just call a driveshaft shop and ask how much it is...

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I broke mine doing U-joints once. I think its called driveline specialties in Vegas (do a search you'll find it) put a new yoke on mine rebalanced and painted it for $100.