Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wrapped exhaust on a diesel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2LTrailblazer84, Aug 13, 2005.

1. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

I am looking for ways to quiet my diesel beast... I have heard that wrapping the exhaust can help.. and this makes sense since it seems that most the sound propogates from there rather than the engine itself because the engine is so dense.

So, has anyone tried this? If so, how much did it help with noise reduction and how much did it cost for the wrap itself?

Also.. I have noticed that when my truck is running and the engine vibrates the exhaust pipes rattles against the metal rod apparatus which holds the exhaust in place. Was there something originally there that held the exhaust in place between the metal rod pieces and the exhaust that was removed or worn out at some point? Some type of hard rubber pieces or something?

2. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

I used to frequent a Hummer forum and that spoke of wrapping their exhaust quite a bit. So this info. is not from my experience, just from reading forum input.

I know they spoke more of heat reduction and HP gain for doing wraps. I do recall it being related to noise reduction some but they also used duramat, etc. So I don't know how much just the wrap helped.

Sorry I don't have better info.

Art

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

You have transfer noise... such as vibration etc... good quality isolators can help... the system cant be solid obviously or things would break... poly mounts are made for exhaust work

The stock mufflers are restrictive but still not quiet... muffler design involves harmonics ets... what works for gas engines may not work for the diesel cycles...
    the guage of the exhaust pipe can also be a factor... heavier gauge absorbing some resonance... I like medium duty mufflers myself.... big long and heavy they absorb gobs of noise

You have mechanical noise... diesels clickity clack alot.... and that transfers down the exhaust

One thing that might help is to upgrade the pitiful insulation in the cab... I dynamatted my entire cab... put sheets in each door... extra sheets on the cowl.... it helped immensely,,, EBAY cost about 150.00... the door sheets cut down on the tinny sounds... also I did the roof and back walls... now the thing is new car quiet... with the rumble of the bb under the hood :D

cam