Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wrecked! Advice?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hayduke, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

hey there all,
    so today someone pulled out in front of me and i plugged em pretty good with my driver's front corner. bumper bent back and the fender is crunched, grille busted and everything on the driver's front smashed. rad. is fine, turns left fine, tire rubs (grinds) on right turns, i know this b/c she was fine to drive home after the cop and insurance swapping...
    it's not my fault and tomorrow AM i'm gonna start going after a rental and getting this thing worked on.
    after that ramble i'd just like any input/advice.... thinking maybe keep any money from his insurance and pound the body back out, this is gonna be a trail rig, it'll probably get fixed all nice and shiny and then a year from now i'll start raking it on rocks and trees... any input?
    thanks.
    peace.
    MATT

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Get three estimates then take the insurance money and tell them you want to fix it yourself with the money. After you are done let them look at it, just get a cheap paint job that looks good for them and pick up the parts at a junk yard or ?.
    You might have enough money to add something else you really want to it. Most insurance companies will work with you but you won't be able to keep any rental car that long.
    It's your call but if you leave it beat up it will be alot easier to not care at all when you hit a rock. Belive it or not, you can still have a nice truck and crawl.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

In CA you only have to get 1 estimate. You can go anywhere you want to get that estimate as well. I don't think you even have to fix it. That is if you are dealing with the other drivers insurance and not yours.

4. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

They will send out an adjuster or send you to an adjuster. Have at least one estimate BEFORE you see the adjuster and he may just use your estimate - especially on an older vehicle cause the parts may not be in his computer. They generally will just give you a check and be done with it.

Good luck.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say go to GM for an estimate. (if the dealer has a body shop, like ours does) With their labor rates and retail price on parts, the estimate will be high $$.

If you are going to beat it up anyway on the trail, take the money and run. Sink the money into things you'll need for the trail, which doesn't include aesthetics IMO.

I don't believe the insurance company has any right to come back and check that any work was actually done, its only up to you to get it "street legal" and law enforcement is the only one that will get you on that, and only to give you a ticket for a missing light or something. Of course insurance regulations vary by state, but I would be surprised that you'd need to prove work was done, *after* you settle for $$.

If they are talking total, also remember in some states, that it will be additional $$ after a total to have it reinspected by the state, to be "street legal". (its that way here in WA) Sometimes its better not to let the insurance company total the vehicle. Its your car unless you LET them total it.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Your front clip is pretty common. You can probably pick up the whole front end for a few hundered bucks. I would go get a few estimates. Most companies will just cut you a check. Proably get about $1200 for the damage with the labor. If the core suport is good then you could probably get away with a $90 fender and the grill suround. If the core support has a minor tweek you might be able to straighten it. Now if the core suport is trashed and has to be replaced then you get into a problem if you have working A/C. You have working A/C right /forums/images/icons/smile.gif So when you get the estimate for the repair if it lists core suport it better list refilling the A/C. TO replace the core suport the lines have to be removed. After all the A/C quit working after the wreck. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    R12 is going for $40 a can and I think it takes about 4-5 cans to fill that system. The systems will also need a Dryer and to be evacuated. So the could run up an easy $350-400 in repairs alone so don't get screwed on that.
    Also if you steering wheel is at a different angle HECK even if it isn't at a different angle make sure the frame isn't bent. It doesn't take as much to bend a frame as you would think. I have bent the frame on our 79 getting yanked side ways out of a mud hole.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you got hit on one side in a frontal impact it's easy to ladder or Z the frame. Get that checked. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif