Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wrecker Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, May 5, 2007.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    How mcuh could the ball and chain arm on your average light duty wrecker pull? Also Who sells wrecker beds if someone wanted to put one on a truck? I'm in a college town (norman) a student at ou. people are constantly getting stuck at the river south of here, and I pull them out a lot but sometimes you just can't get it out (I charge most of the frat guys of course, they leave there beercans all over which is ugly as hell).

I was thinking, get rid of my blazer, get a short bed short cab, throw on a crew cab and maybe throw on a shortened wrecker bed? Advirtise as the offroad wrecker - most wrecking services answer with not no but hell no out here, and when they do do it charge more than 300 bucks.

Also, It would look cool :)

Just seeing what weight they could hold. Seems like pulling up in the muddy situations would help compared to being pulled straight.

Oh and if a mod sees this I like the new supporting member thing, much cooler.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you put a wrecker body on . most states require a tow truck plate and tow truck license and tow truck insurance. you dont have that kind of money.

for the time and money to build it. go buy a old mill truck 5 ton wrecker truck. thay will pull out almost anything. and thay can be had with multi fuel motors to burn anything.

3. jtrux

jtrux 1/2 ton status

Hell yeah, get the 5 ton. Or m1008 would be cool too.

4. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

What's the average cost of those? Also this is Oklahoma and Texas, Oklahoma doesn't even have a state inspection anymore, no vehicle has to be inspected. I'm sure that if any state is missing that law its Oklahoma, but I'll check. Didn't know they had that.

5. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

its not worth it trust me i did the off road recovory thing with my 2 wreckers

i tore up my trucks and every body wanted it for free

the insurance cost to much to just do it as a part time deal

in wyoming wreckers have to go threw a inspection to be put on the callout list its more of a safty inspection

[​IMG]

6. ghostrider32

ghostrider32 1/2 ton status

You Can Have A Tow Unit With Not For Hire On It And Not Have The Insurance But If You Get Caught Its Bad News For U.im In The Process Of Building A K5 On 2 1/2 Tons With Farm Tags. Runnin Large Terra Tires Off Of The Front Of A Fertilizer Truck On All 4 Corners. 12,000 Ramseies On Front And Back. Total Over Kill I Know But Totally Legal.

7. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Sounds good. I wonder if there's any way using some mech e proffesor I could rig up an attachment that would raise where the vehicle is being pulled too...

8. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Where in OK is holdenville?

You get a good deal on those ramsies?