Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'Wrecking the Woods' KATU's Outdoor Reporter, Grant McOmie

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Chevit, May 5, 2004.

1. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

\'Wrecking the Woods\' KATU\'s Outdoor Reporter, Grant McOmie

'Wrecking the Woods'- Tonight at 5:00 p.m.
    KATU's Outdoor Reporter, Grant McOmie, shows us how off-road riders who go out of bounds are making a big mess of our forests. Get a sneak peek Channel 2 is running a piece tonight @ 5 on why our hobby is under so much
    scrutiny.See the www.KATU.COM home page for the trailer.

See the www.KATU.COM home page for the trailer.

2. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: \'Wrecking the Woods\' KATU\'s Outdoor Reporter, Grant McOmie

Those same lame a$$e$ did an in-depth report on how "dangerous big bumpers" were to other cars a couple months back

Bunch of us at work were going to go down and circle their building with our rigs -

Friggin' rednecks anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

had my dad record it cuz i was at work... havent played the tape yet... but everytime i heard the Ad on the radio i wanted to break the damn thing.... The advertisement they played was the Epitomy (sp?) of a bias media..... Sounded like somthing off the simpsons...

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Not that I saw or read anything about that particular report, but everytime I fly somewhere and see all the forest below and the few roads that go through them, I think to myself how much damage can there be? Those roads make up what 0.05% of all the forest below? i dunno, its not much, so don't tell me the enviroment is suffering, plenty of untouchable be vehicle forest out there.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Those same lame a$$e$ did an in-depth report on how "dangerous big bumpers" were to other cars a couple months back

[/ QUOTE ]

funny how these people say that SUVs are dangerous to other cars as if cars have EVER been created equal. Ok, you drive a Geo Metro... well, its dangerous as hell to that guy on his harley davidson. Our SUVs are tough, but a semi or dump truck would kick the snot out of our rigs... maybe we should ban those evil things? gimme a break, its all a bunch of left-wing pansys who hate the automobile and the freedom it represents... mainly because freedom for us means less power for them.

j

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Did anyone watch it?
    I don't get local channels.
    What areas are being tore up?
    They just did a SOLV clean up here and are pushing for the road being closed due to trash and such.
    300 plus tires out of the creek. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I wasn't a bad report at all. Mostly about quad riders and how a few bad apples will ruin it for everyone. Talked about self policing ect....

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Actually I think it helped raise some awareness in a positive way. It helped get the message across that the vast majority of people in the off road sports are responsible and that it is the actions of a few that give the rest of us a HUGE black eye.

I'm not saying that I have never wheeled in an out of bounds area, but as I got older and realized how much damage IS being done, I stopped. I have found trash so far back in the woods that you'd swear nobody had been back there for years. I remember this one time My son and I went for a hiking/camping trip. We packed in for 3 days (the last day was no trails, just woods), found a nice little clearing by a stream and set up camp. No sooner did I set my pack down when I heard the crunch of a plastic wrapper. Yep, there it was all covered with dirt, but damed if it wasn't a friggin' twinkie wrapper in the middle of the woods! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I mean, how in the HELL did a twinkie wrapper get several miles into the back woods fer cripes sake!

Now, If I see people that are in areas they aren't supposed to be, I'll ask them to get out. Hell, I'll even tell them "I saw a Ranger headed this way you'd better get outa there quick"! Even if I saw the Ranger last week. I'm not lying, I just didn't tell them what day I saw them. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif That way they get out of where they aren't supposed to be and I get thanked for the warning instead of getting shot at /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i wonder if we put a group of people together and got with the local rangers of the area and offered to help fix what was damaged if the news would cover the story and give us a better name?

10. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

**RANT ON**
    It would be nice if the news was geared that way... but unless its shootings, deaths, violence or some other horrid atrocity its rare that the news covers it and if they do, its last on the news list when no one watches.

The mainstream media is such complete horsesh*t. I watched the first 10 minutes of the 10 oclock news the other night and was more depressed about my home town, the economy, 30 year olds wanting to [darn] 13 year olds, fires, shootings, car accidents, etc... that I never wanted to leave my bedroom again.

So, I will stand next to you all and clean up and help rebuild the area's that are damaged, even help publicly humiliate the fawtards that are doing the damage (gotta love nightvision camcorders) but I wont expect anyone other than us to give a [darn] that we care or are trying.
    **RANT OFF**

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wasn't a bad report at all. Mostly about quad riders and how a few bad apples will ruin it for everyone. Talked about self policing ect....

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got done watching it also and it wasn't a bad report.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont think I have ever strayed off an official trail before while wheelin... so I guess they are talking about other peeps. I dont leave trash behind either, i hate that chit. I dont say I "Tread Lightly" because Im such a non-conformist and I don't like rules... but I pretty much do. Not to sure about this one though...its the 'a' in tread..

"Avoid streams, lakeshores, meadows, muddy roads and trails, steep hillsides, and wildlife and livestock"

dunno about you guys, but steep hillsides and muddy trails are pretty much all I see when wheelin...if I want to avoid those, staying home is pretty much the only option.

j

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "Avoid streams, lakeshores, meadows, muddy roads and trails, steep hillsides, and wildlife and livestock"

[/ QUOTE ]

That only applies to those who don't live in the Pacific Northwet /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    livestock"

[/ QUOTE ]

shoot if there isnt livestock around then you aint wheelin..... im always on the lookout for livestock....