Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wrecking yard wheel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geargrinder, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine told me that an old trick for a nice steering wheel was to get one off of a chevy car @ the 'yard and it would bolt right on. Any one done this (for an '84 Burb)? If so what is a nicer wheel (smaller) that will still bolt on and work with the turn signal cancel?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

70'S Camaro 4 spoke plastic is nice ( had on my Chevelle ) .
    Trans Ams were cool .
    The 80's Iroc wheels were sweet .
    Jeep wheels willl fit too if it had a GM column , like the old 7-'s 3 spoke .
    Chrysler coulums had the same spline back in the rear drive car days as well .

Believe it or not the Factory 2 door Chevette I had a came with a 3 spoke satin with black grip wheel that looked hot although it was in a Chevette , and factory to boot :k5: :k5:

3. JSH

JSH Registered Member

I have also heard that most GM steering wheels mount the same and will work. Look for one from an early 90s Lumina-very comfortable and fairly common so they shouldn't be hard to find. Also has the "open" top(3 spoke design) that works well with truck gauges.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

most any '60's-'90's GM wheel will will work, i dunno on old chyslers however

good luck

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Late 80's trucks/Astros are a good source, everyone seems to like those 4 spoke smaller diameter/thicker black wheels with "Chevrolet" (or "GMC" I assume) horn buttons.

Don't have a picture of mine, but yes, just about any GM vehicle up to about 1996 (non-airbag) can donate the steering wheel for our columns.

I'm sure someone here has pics of that wheel in their rig.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

a lot of them fit..not just GM's

I put a steering wheel from an 82 Cavalier on my 74 K20,to gain clearance for my long legs when I put a custom bucket seat setup in it--went right on,matches up with the collar on the colum,horn works,directionals cancel,etc..I have seen a few GM trucks with older mustang GT steering wheels too.(not sure if the directionals self-cancel with those wheels though.)..many other vehicles have the same splines,but the collars dont always match up...best to measure first.. :crazy: