Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wriing speakers

Discussion in 'Audio' started by balazerjake86, Dec 6, 2002.

1. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

i was wondering does the wiring for the speakers behind the seats in my 86 blazer are they spliced with the rear or what i was just wondering hpw the six speaker set up was casue i did not see another set of wires on the wiring harness for my cd player and was just wondering. i may have just overlooked it

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

What do you mean 6 speaker setup? Should have 3.5's in the dash and 4x10's in the back. Thats it.

3. balazerjake86

balazerjake86 Registered Member

mine has some six by nine holes by the rear seat. right behind the drivers seat and the passenger seat

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Someone else did that then...not the factory. Since that is the case I can't tell you how its wired. It depends on whether an installer did it, or an idiot. Your best bet would just be to trace the wires and find out for sure instead of guessing.
    While your at it, why don't you just disconnect the 4x10's and run just the 6x9's and the 3.5's. 4x10's never sound that great.

5. AudioMaster

AudioMaster Registered Member

Chances are they are just run in parallel (+ to +, - to -) with the 4x10s. I agree with the above post. If you are going to run speakers back there run the 6x9s. As far as the front speakers go, the SQ (Sound Quality) from 3.5s leaves a lot to be desired. A good easy alternative is to install 6.5s in your lower door or in the kick panels. I have a component set with separate midrange and tweeter in my doors and the sound is excellent.
    While normally having 6 speakers stacked on a CD player won't cause damage it has the potential too. Most of today's CD players use high power MOSFET driven amps to provide great power right from your deck. Most of these decks are set up to handle no lower than a 4 ohm load on each channel. Most (if not all) mainstream car audio speakers made in the last 10 years are 4 ohm. The potential problem comes when you paralell more than one speaker on a given channel of your deck. Putting two 4 ohm speakers in paralell causes you deck to see half the resistance. This could lead to you burning down your output stage on your decks amplifier. Wiring the speakers in series will prevent this but it puts twice the resistance on your deck causing it to produce roughly half of its output power. The upside to this is you get more speakers per channel and a safe load on your CD player as long as you keep the volume at a safe level. The downside is less power causing you to want to turn it up and possibly blowing the speakers by giving them a clipped (distorted square wave) signal.
    Remember, more speakers doesn't necessarily mean better sound. Better speakers and proper placement almost always means better sound. Hope this helps.

~AM