Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wrist pins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DieselBurb, Oct 1, 2003.

1. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

If I had a wrist pin going bad, what kind of noise would it make? Would it knock and if so, would it do it under acceleration, coasting, or all the time?

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

In my experience....bad wrist pins make noise all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

What kind of symptoms are you experiencing?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not only that, they make a rather distinct sound too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. DieselBurb

My 6.2 idles real nice without any abnormal diesel rattle until the RPM's are raised. It starts knocking kinda like a loud lifter knock and I have white smoke coming out of that side's exhaust. It knocks only under load and not while coasting. I thought it might have been a bad injector, so I changed the one I thought was bad, and it is still knocking. The temp is fine (under 200 deg F)while cruising until I have to give it more throttle and I can visibly see the temp climb (slightly over 200 deg F) and then it cools back off to normal.

It wasn't making the noise until I replaced the head on the OTHER side. As soon as I got it running again, the knock was there.

Any ideas? Maybe I got a bad rebuilt injector? I don't believe that it is a bearing since it hasn't locked up yet.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How much oil pressure do you have?

Are you sure you bled the injectors all correctly?

6. DieselBurb

It has good pressure (40 psi @ idle). I'm pretty sure I bled the lines well enough. I took the lines loose one at a time until diesel was squirting out and the tightened them.

Previously, I had to take the other side's head back off after snapping a head bolt during the first install and not using a new head gasket which made the head leak real bad, so the lines were off twice. I am planning on trying to equalize them again this weekend. I would have figured that by now, all of the air would have been pushed out by now.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you had a bad bearing, I doubt you'd have that much oil pressure.

8. DieselBurb

So, then could it be a wrist pin?

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Isolate the problem cylinder by cracking injector lines loose and seeing at what cylinder the sound goes away. Once you have done that, have the injector tested. If its ok, then you may have a cylinder issue such as a rod or wrist pin or a piston going bad (crack etc.). This would be verified with a leakdown or at least a cylinder pressure test. Good luck.