Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Write Up: Springer Suspension Install on a 1977 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Nov 10, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Here is my write up. This is strictly my expereince in installing afore mentioned suspension kit. It is for offroaduse only. This is meant to be an informational post to help show you what it took me to install the kit. Your results my vary. Please consult your doctor.

Making the Springer Suspension Work for you
    Part I Install of the Kit
    Part II Changes to Brakelines and Shocks
    Part III How to tub your rig

Part I

My very first Club run with the Nor-Cal Big Dawgs was the first time I saw the Springer Suspension in action on Chris’ (FRIZZLEFRY) K5, back when it still was a K5, and the thing flexed like nothing I had ever seen.

Later, pictures from Blazer Bash sold me on the idea of running this suspension. I e-mailed Marv Springer and we decided on a 6” lift for my needs. I must also mention Marv was great with answering all my questions.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of my 1977 K5 with an add-a-leaf and blocks. It flexed OK, the stock springs were tired, and without clamps, the springs fanned out pretty well. But I wanted stability AND flex.

In the beginning…

The first step is to take your old suspension off. I used a liberal amount of liquid wrench on all the bolts on the springs. Some have had problems getting the old shackles out of the stock hangers, having to have them cut out with a sawzall or torch. I was lucky, but my bad luck would come soon. Make sure your rear end is also securely on jack stands. I found this out the hard way.

Next, remove the triangulation bracket that attaches to your bumper. You will need these two bolts to install the B-line bump stop. Then install the drop arm and shackle as shown in the following picture.

[​IMG]

My bad luck was that the metal sleeves in the bushings interfered with the shackle. I clearanced them with a grinder after a quick call to Marv, who interrupted his BBQ to give me a couple of tips.

Next, install the Ford F-150 springs. I had success with the rear going in first, than the front. It also helps to have a buddy or two to lend a helping hand. It would have nearly impossible to finish as quickly as I did with out the help of my friends Marcus and Geoff. At this point, make sure the aluminum shim is fat end forward, which helps maintain correct pinion angle (or at least it did in my case).

[​IMG]

Attaching the U-bolts was a pain. I got the wrong part number from the guy at 4WPW (insert yet another rant here /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif ) so that will have to be fixed later.

[​IMG]

I used some washers to have enough threads to get them attached. Also note that on most 14bolt rear ends, the u-bolts will have 15/16” nuts. I found it very handy to have a 15/16” deep socket on hand for this installation. The track bar will be installed later.

Overall it was a very straightforward install. The truck rides much better. The rear end is sitting a good 1-1.5” higher in the rear. My hope is that after a few hunred miles, it will begin to level out.

[​IMG]

Things that to have:

Good tool set up to 15/16” deep socket
    2 sets of jack stands
    Good, tall jack
    Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster
    Air Tools (would have taken ½ the time, IMHO)
    Friends

In the next installment, I will be adding longer brake lines, disconnecting the e-brake cables and installing some sort of longer shocks. Stay tuned!

Liquid Courage to get the kit installed (and lure friends from the bar /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

[​IMG]

The Aftermath

[​IMG]

Future plans call for the truck to be tubbed and longer shocks to be ran through the bed, or possible inboard mounted.

Thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

very cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif is Marv making them for the ORD flip or was that a one time thing. When are we going to get some test pics?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

test pics will come once i cut the tubs out and add a longer rear brake line.

the ORD/Springer hybrid was on SCOOBYDAN's rig. He has something like 30" of wheel travel, or some insane number like that /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I think Danny fabbed that all himself. might want to PM him on that. i just did the normal kit install..i'm boring /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

*edit* atributed to wrong person. my bad.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

How much did you pay for the springs? Are they new or did you get them during your trip to Pick A Part? And what is the application?

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i cant speak for zakk, but marv supplied the springs for me and Or2play(brian). i have yet to test my springer setup and it has been on the truck for a few months now... i have a long way to go on it as well. BUT, i am very happy to have bought a product from marv. he is a good guy. knows his game and plays it well. i spend almost 40 min on the phone with him this weekend on a CRAZY idea i had. he helped a lot.
    the springs are off an f-150. i forget the years. as long as they are 2.5 inches wide and 57 inches long you can use them. marv basicaly re makes the spring pack though. i have 6 leavs. 2 are marv made, the top 3 are stock re drilled furd leaves and the final is the furd overload turned upside down.
    i dont have any weight on my truck right now, just the body and frame. i did do some figuring and think it will get me the 6 inches i wanted. if not it will be VERY close.
    Grant

6. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Zakk,

Now that you got them, wait unitl you use them!! Dude, stand back becasue it's going to blow your mind what happens when you run his setup. I have been runing it now for around 2 years, and never had any problems with it, and it's absolutely wild what it does as far as flex is concerned.

One thing I have to warn you about is the brake line. Make d@mn sure you get an extra long one, because it's going to drop like it's never dropped before. I bought the 12 extened on, and needed another 6 to 8 inches. Get a line way longer than you think you need.

The other thing is to check your bumpstops, basically my bumpstops are my shocks, cheap things anyways. If you don't want to bottom out your shock, make sure they are alligned correctly.

DUDE /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif welcome to the Springer Suspension Club. Your wheeling world will never be the same, nothing is like it, totally blows peoples minds when we are on the trail, and let me say, I run the dog $hit out of mine and it's awesome.

CONGRADULATIONS, AND WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

So kewl. I'm planning on Marv's Springer Suspension for my 76 Blazer. I'm in the parts gathering phase at the momment. Got my 3/4 Ton axles so far. Next will be the Springer Suspension, then the Rock Sliders, and a 2" body lift, 35" tires, then I'll have Pre-runner style bumpers made, finished off with a soft top. Maybe a big block will find it's way under the hood also !!!

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Too bad it's for off road use only. Isn't there some way of locking them for road use or something like that? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Glad to see ya got it together.I was out wheelin and breakin my junk when ya called /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. therobzilla

I don't know where the offroad use only thing comes from, but Marv drives his as a daily drive back and forth to work.

He also towed a 19' travel trailer, from Phoenix to Moab, from Moab to Farmington and from Farmington to Phoenx, during our 10 wheeling trip this summer. I can tell you by experience and by following Marv for the whole trip, he did not have any problems with driving it on the road.

Somehow there is some sort of stigmatism about his setup only working off road. I also drive mine on the road and there are a few other in town that drive theirs daily, and I have yet to hear of anyone having problems driving on the road. Actually it drives better than my Tuff Country EZ ride spring ever did. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Robzilla

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the rear end is so soft, i now need to change the front springs. It used to "double hickup" going over bumps in the street. Now the front end bumps & the rear just kinda rolls over it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. therobzilla

I do however reccomend using the 9012 shocks with this setup. I don't have them currenlty, but the adjustability works awesome with his setup, helps add firmness when needed, or Baja setup when ripping down the wash roads.

Rob

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

there is a set of 36" Ranco 5000 that arecoming onto the market right now. They are about 2" longer travel thatthe old standby 9012's. I'll have to research further and that will be covered in Part II of my write up.

14. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i am the one w/ the ORD/Springer setup----i am still unsure what i am going to do---in the flex department it was great---but i would get unbeleavable axle wrap when gettin on it, and going through the sandy places.

i have seen the "origional" in action and its (for lack of better words) AWESOME. and i recommend his setup 100% to anyone that wants awesome flex and awesome ride.

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Well then I gotta try it. The off road use thing came from the beginning of the write up. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    This is strictly my expereince in installing afore mentioned suspension kit. It is for offroaduse only

[/ QUOTE ] Maybe it's for liability reasons or something... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

sorry, i am a Gov't employee. the CYA thing is a part of life /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

17. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

My God, what kind of beer were you drinking? That box was like nuclear green on my screen.

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

CAINTMAKIT! Racing West Coast Division