Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Writeup on the green K5 with pictures now posted!

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Stephen, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Finally finished the writeup and photos of our K5 and put them on our site here:
    http://www.offroaddesign.com/TopTruck K5.htm

As always there's more detail available but there's a lot of good pics to look at and description of all the goodies.

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Nice... Takes awhile for the pics to load,but worth the wait!

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Stephen, That truck is just too stinkin cool. In my opinion, You have taken the K5 to its Pinnacle. Your truck constantly gives me inspiration and ideas for my own truck, (even tho im barely getting started on it) Congratulations on building and owning (in my opinion) one of the most impressive k5's around.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

awesome stuff SW. Like most every other K5 guys, I look to your rig for good ideas. Is there anything more you are going to do to the beast, if so, what?!

Oh yeah.. noticed that you carry a powertank... I am setting up a CO2 tank soon... was wondering how long that 10 pound tank you have lasts with the 42s. I know the PT web site only lists numbers for smaller tires and I plan on running 39.5s so I was curious. I might go with a 15lb tank, dunno yet.

I was checkin out the trac bars you had for TTC... pretty cool. You noted that you're still working on their design a little bit.... when that is finished, are you going to sell them to others or...?

anyway, awesome to see the build up pics on your site. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

DAMN STEPHEN!! Drive that thing once in a while would you? There's rust on the disks!!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Man that thing is cool!!! That's what i want my Blazer to look like when it grows up!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Stephen

It doesn't take too long for it to get a little rusty here in the late summer. Rains pretty much every afternoon. But it's not exactly a daily driver now. It could be, just a little expensive.

Future/current plans:
    -fix leaks, it's hard to keep it all sealed when you bang it on rocks.
    -re-do the rear shock hoops so I can put a back seat in it. Probably a jeep width seat, need to haul kids.
    -chop half cab and use a 73-75 top.
    -Raise rocker panels and nerf bars up for more rocker clearance.
    -figure out some way to narrow it up some. Probably just the front clip and bedsides since I'm not into messing with the firewall and all the cage work I've already done. The places I have problems with at this point are the rockers and the corners.
    -mess with rear traction bar geometry vs. clearance vs. squat performance. I'd like to get rid of the bar mounts since the belly's so smooth otherwise.
    -Maybe drop the ride height a little if I can get better clearance around the edges.

As you can see it's never done. I thought I might be close but I was wrong.

7. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

That is so sweet I have been checking your site for months waiting to see that. It all that I wanted and more now I have to go to moab to see it in action. In looking at the picks I have decided to use a similar suspension for the next buildup of my own K5 airbags front and rear. I have a question about limiting straps though, it seems that you used them but were you happy with your own setup or would you do it differently. I appreciate the writeup and I'll see you in Moab

Dave Cowley

8. Stephen

Basically I'm happy with how it all turned out. It works just like I planned which is really the important thing. There is some tuning to do and I'll do an update to the page with the changes as it goes.

The limit straps are basically there to deep the shocks from being the suspension limiter. The do cut it to about 15" of vertical travel so I can allow for some stretch in the nylon. I'll be adding a center limit strap to keep the front down on steep climbs till I can get some more weight off the top of the truck. It kind of rears up in the front without a tie down.

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I posted this on the other board, but figure I will here too, since it deserves boosting /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

Your truck is truly a remarkable rig /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Boss

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You took the K5 to the next level. That is an awsome truck!! Just one ? out of curiosity for you. How much would it cost to build if somebody dropped their truck off and said build it? Just a ballpark figure so people can see what it might take to build something like that.

11. Stephen

I'd plan on having $100K in the pocket. That might be a bit high but you'd be pretty safe. There's a good bit of cash just in the hard parts even though a lot of them are fairly common and bolt into a GM truck. Multi port big block, overbuilt TH700, clocked Doubler, tricked out 14B, custom high pinion D60, 42's on beadlocks, King coilovers, etc. You get the picture. There's not a piece on that list under $2K and it could go on.
    The labor is the expensive part. A local shop here just put a buggy together using all the customers pieces (engine, trans, t-case, axles and lots of misc.) and it was about 200 hours worth of work. They put it all into a modified Campbell chassis and it is just a buggy, body to worry about, etc. We'd have a good bit more labor than that in building everything up.

Keep in mind this is to build just what I have and you'd have a new version (no dents, etc) of my K5 as it sits.

Since we have it done we could do things a little different and save some money. Like starting with a couple pieces of rec. tube instead of boxing in my frame. I think overall that would be faster. A lot of what's been done has been compromised a little by the fact that it has been done in little steps.

There's a good bit of money to be saved by starting with a late model K30 for parts since it would have most of the parts in it and probably be about $3500 total. Then you're down to labor and small pieces. Cheap paint, no body work, leaf spring front, etc and you can have a truck that's probably 80% as effective and will cost less than half. (that's assuming you charge for the labor for both buildups)

Those of you that saw the TTC info have a good example of this, Waddell's Burb. Full of nice parts but nothing fancy. And the difference in the competition was who had a good day. But I don't think he'd want to follow me very far out in the desert :-) That's where the line is drawn, speed and comfort.

Heck, my Dad's looking at taking his snow plow truck (new one to him) to EjS this year and could easily have less than $5K in it with a Doubler and tires included. He'll be a little beat up at the end of the day but it'll still be more fun than work.

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Cheap paint, no body work, leaf spring front, etc and you can have a truck that's probably 80% as effective and will cost less than half.

<hr></blockquote>
    This is what I'm trying to do with the UAV, not as extreme as Stephen's (would be cool though) but yet be able to hit most trails an do very well and still hold together.

13. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Ya, and I'm trying to do a 1/4 of steve which is a 1/2 of Stephen........... LOL. o'well

You both have awsome trucks and I can wait to see them at Moab.

Mike

14. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I should mention that the ORD K5 drives like a Cadilac, on 42's yet, passes the beverage test with flying colors.

15. Stephen

Now that I think about it, Steve Fox is one of the few people outside our shop that's driven it. Me, my Dad, maybe my brother a little, that's about it. It is pretty cushy. My time behind the wheel of the UAV was understandably short.

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Looking at the truck I would say $100k is very realistic. I basically fall into the same catagory as Fox does but I have a big drawback, and that is Pa State laws to deal with. I am working on ways around the laws and still build what I want. The 2 main ones are bumper hight and headlight hight. Bumper hight is 30" which I have a cure for that and that is a removable piece that bolts on the bottom. Headlight hight is 42 1/2" from the center to the ground. I see a bunch of trucks here with snowplow lights mounted to the bumper to make them legal but to me that looks like sh&amp;^. Not sure what I am going to do with that if I have to deal with it. I am thinking about moving the headlights down to where the turn signals are but that might run into a bunch of headaches. I want to keep my 89 grill if all possible but I might just swap to an early 80's set up with the over and under lights and put my normal headlights on the bottom. The one thing I am glad I did from the start is the 1 ton axles. Everything worked out good with them, it gave me the gearing I wanted, already had lockers, and the strength is hard to beat. Price was less then $1500 for both so it worked well for me. I feel once I am on 38's with the th400 and doubler with 4:56's it should work well both on and off road which is what I was shooting for. Bit by bit I will keep at it untill I get done. The one thing I really like about wheeling and building a truck is when I call guys like you with a tech question and it always seems like you guys are glad to be helping us out. I realize from a business standpoint that you almost have to but with wheelers it is pretty genuine. I just received my latest round of parts from you and as always great quality and service. Keep up the good work and I will talk to you soon since I need to get some stuff for my t case ordered.

17. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

how many cupholders in that bad boy?/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Do you guys get hassled about headlights that often, Wayne? Over here we only get our balls busted on the bumper height mostly, sometimes they b*tch about mudflaps on big tires, but im not sure if thats on the books in Pa.

19. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

Did you use a swaybar or is it even streetable at all? When offroading how do sidehills feel? Does the body want to keep on rolling till you are almost on your side? I ask that because that is generally something that I have seen with link suspensions. Sorry I have so many questions and I guess that if you don't answer them all I can ask you down at EJS.

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have not been messed with yet since I am bearly legal. Only thing I got pulled over for is mudflaps. I am just worried about all the bs when it is done, if there is such a thing.