Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wrong Rear Seat

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by homemadesin, May 4, 2003.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

I think my '72 was purchase w/o a rear seat, but when I bought it from the 2nd owner, he gave me one (loose). Well, I couldn't find bolt holes that lined up, so yesterday I took the roof off, the roll bar (another damned non-stock item that was put in ugly) and carpet. I don't even want to count the many holes in the floor /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    At any rate, the seat I have has a 4 bolt hole, 35.5" by 23.25" pattern (35.5" side to side and 23.25" front to back). The factory-looking holes in the floor are: 4 in-line holes with the 2 outer ones being 42" apart and the 3 inner ones being 15" apart. About 16" in front of these 4 holes are two more holes at 42.5" apart.
    None of this makes sense. Can anyone show me the right seat for a 72' K5?
    I think I'm gonna modify the feet on the seat to line-up with 4 of the damned holes. Then where do the seat belt anchors bolt?
    I'm also thinking about adapting the Jeep flip-up bench seat hardware.....

2. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I can't show you a picture since my 72 seat is 1800 miles away right now, but maybe I can help explain a bit.

My rear seat has two "feet" in the rear which bolt to the stock holes you're probably looking at - the ones on the floor 42" apart with the thin plate on top of them. The front of the seat rests on a tubular piece - the same as the arm rest tubes. It's held down by two clamps that look like electrical conduit clamps (and are hard to find - if anyone has a pair, PM me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

The seat belts mount to both the floor and to the seat. The outer mounts on mine are on the rear "feet" - just above where it bolts to the floor. The inner mounts are the other two large bolt holes on the floor. The rear seat anchor and seat belt anchor points are a fairly large bolt (I forget the size, but I think it's a 7/8 or 13/16" socket) the front mounts are a bit smaller, but since my bolts are broken off in the floor, I can't help you there.

If you're thinking of a flip forward seat you've got a couple options - later model Blazer, Jeep or Scout/Scout II. I thought about this and what I liked about the Scout sear is you don't have to cut holes in the floor for rear seat anchors like you would with a later model Blazer seat. Instead there's a large striker bolt that comes out from the wheelwell and there's a lever on the seat that latches around this striker. I thought of going this way before I decided to keep the stock rear bench.

That's what I have - hope it helps. I underrstand there's some differences in seat belt mounting in some first gens, but that's what I have in my 72.

3. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that does help. My seat only has four individual feet at the spacing I mentioned. The arm rest tube ends at the bottom front of the seat. I'm gonna try to look in the junkyard to see what I can scrounge up.

I tried to relocate the four feet to line-up to some of the holes, but it isn't working well.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

On my rear seat there are 4 legs on the back of it. Each one has seat belt ends that are bolted onto them. I also have the same clamps on the front.

5. Anthony72K5

Anthony72K5 Registered Member

I'll sell you the rear seat (actually you can have all the seats if you want them!) from my 72 k5 if you like. I'm in the Cin OH area, I'd rather not ship it if I didn't have to. I'd be reasonable with the price, too.

E-mail contemptus@hotmail.com if you're interested.