Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wrong side d60 Qs

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, Oct 22, 2002.

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

this last weekend i was told by a phoerd owner the d60 i bought has puny d44 size shafts !?!? is this true ? i havent tore into it yet.... can i swap in chevy knuckles and shafts and other parts ? how much am i looking to rebuild / reseal/ regear/lock this thing ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What did your axle come out of?

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Umm, you probably got a dana 50, not a 60. If it came out of a newer f350 anyway...

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Andy,

I'm interested in what you find.... For a while I was looking for some 30 spl inner D60 shafts and I was told that all Chevy 60's came w/ 35 spl inners. So, possibly your Ford version has 30 spl inners /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif..

Marv

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If its low-pinion, you're probably looking at a 76-77 crewcab front axle. (72-75 if closed knuckle) They used 30-spline inners. They can be easily upgraded with a 35-spline diff case, inner axle seals, and 35-spline axles (aftermarket or 78-79 shafts)

If its high-pinion, you may have a Dana 50 (9" ring gear). Should still be stronger than a D44. I believe the axles are a full-diameter near the spline - not necked down like a D44. They also use D60-sized U-joints. The biggest caveat of this axle is the METRIC (170mm) 8-lug pattern.

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

its a high pinion dana 60 . it came out of a 78 x cab big block f350

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

its a high pinion dana 60 . it came out of a 78 x cab big block f350

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

its a high pinion dana 60 . it came out of a 78 x cab big block f350 and ut had king pins and 3.54 gears

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

ill check for ya sometime soon this week or so . /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

An axle from a 78 F350 should have 35 spline inners and 30 spline outers. Because of the year model I believe it will have the tapered inner axles.

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Ditto on the 35-spline (since it's a high-pinion)

Whomever told you it had 30-spline inners should go back to auto-wrecking school /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

well his name is .. and he doesnt do computers and he definitly wouldnt visit ck5 . anyways he said he broke a shaft and stuck one his spare d 44 shafts in one side and then the other broke and but the d44 shaft was too long ,broke it trying to get up on a semi trailer hehee

13. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

do you have any pictures?
    77.5-79 Ford Dana 60 fronts will have 35 spline inners, 30 spline outters. The inners will neck down unless they've been replaced with Spicer replacement shafts.
    Ford didn't make a F350 4x4 until '79, so either it's the typical "I got a 60 so it must be a F350" thinking since Ford did put 60 fronts in some F250s with a high enough GVWR, or it was a conversion with god only knows what parts.
    If it is reverse cut, & open knuckle it'll be a 35/30 combo though.. I can't even concieve how you could put a D44 shaft into this axle... maybe put a 30 spline side gear in, but that'd only help on the inner axle, you'd still need to do something custom for the hub. The early 77 & earlier axles were D60 centers, with 30 spline inners & 19 spline outters, & had the same small u-joint as the D44. They were also all closed knuckle & drum brakes.

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

all the badging was missing !! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif @ me . but it is a d60 and reverse cut , it has king pins and open knuckles. i will get pics soon . i dono maybe i shoulda left that part out about the that other guy hehe...

15. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

oh... hahaha
    I won't hold it against you chevy guys... just the people that own them that try to pass them off as something they're not.

16. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

gm made some kool stuff and so did ford<sometimes /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif> , but i like chevy motors and body styles better ,brand loyalty to the exteme is pretty dumb imo . i dont try to pass off my truck as anything other than what it is , my truck .

17. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My GM brand loyalty disintegrated while I worked at a GM wrecking yard. I'm perfectly neutral now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Trouble is I have so many GM parts, it only makes sense to stay GM /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

My crewcab is from the loyalty days - but still like it for what it is. I have my Burb cuz nobody else makes one I can afford /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif