Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wrong spring packs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trialanderror, Jan 4, 2006.

1. trialanderror

trialanderror Registered Member

hey guys, i was looking up under my 77 k5 to see what is in store for me when i get ready to do my shackel flip and i noticed that the passanger side in the rear has 8 leaf springs and that the driver side only has 6. could this mean the that the frame may be bent or is this a normal thing. it seems to sit level even thought it has the extra springs...also will this adversly affect the shackel flip that i have planned in the future. thanks in advance

2. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem, diff amounts of leaves in rear spring packs, my bed was to messed up but i went to the junkyard and got new springs, needed the hangers anyways cuz mine were rotted. Junkyard is prolly you best bet, dont let them charge you $80 like i did.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It sounds like the spring was replaced by somebody that either did not know what they where doing, or did not care. The spring with 6-leafs is probobly the original one, and the spring with 8-leafs may be from a 3/4 ton pick-up truck. You may want to look and see if there is any sign of damage from a crash to that part of the truck where the 8-leaf spring was installed.

4. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

my truck had stock 6 leaf springs in back and flexing them cracked two leafs in the middle of the pack, i planned on putting stock 3/4 ton 7 leaf rears from a parts truck i had but couldnt get the 1/2 ton springs off with out cutting them (damn east coast trucks) so i did one side only. It currently has 7 leaf 3/4 ton springs on pass side and 6 leaf 1/2 ton springs on drivers side. seems to be fine and is prob. a little crooked but i cant notice it. My suggestion is pull 2 leafs out of the spring pack and make the 1 side 6 leaf to match the other. btw all the 73 to 79 trucks had crappy frames and don't measure perfect so measuring might not always work.

5. trialanderror

trialanderror Registered Member

thanks

hey guys thanks for yalls input. im gonna try to take 2 of the leafs out and see if its still ok...which 2 do you recomend me removing.i was sorta thinking the 2 middle 1's but yall are he source as far as k5's go so help me out please...also I am trying to figure out if i can send a check somewhere to become a full member of this site since i am always on here. (at least 2 times daily). so if yall could help a fellow k5er out it would be appreciated.