Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wtb: broken FF 14 bolt axleshafts

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by scotty85, Jun 22, 2002.

1. scotty85

scotty85 Registered Member

i am in need of some broken FF 14 bolt axleshafts. it doesnt matter what theyre from,or where theyre broken. i actually only need the part that bolts to the hub,so the rest of the shaft could be hacked off for shipping.

thanx in advance...
    scotty

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I'll check with the guys at the mudrun tomarrow and see if anyone has one, may I ask why you need a broken one.

3. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

OK sounds like you got something cool planned for those things.I can get you a couple but i would really like to know what kinda stuff you got on your mind?

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i also want to know whats being planned lol

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

there ya go using my idea. spool it and then run with only one shaft in and a blanking plate on the other side.....
    let me know how it works. and if you are able to get one for me i would appreciate it.
    grant

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i remember you asking about this idea a while back...sounds like it would work to me

Later

7. scotty85

seventy4blazer,you are close.

hopefully i havent let anyone down in their expectations of the "cool factor" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif of why i want em,but here it is: i simply want to remove my axlesahfts to flat tow my rig to the trails. since i have OBA,it would prolly take me about 10 seconds per side to buzz the shaft off,and put the cover plate back on. beats laying on the ground with a wrnech to remove muddy bolts from a muddy driveshaft /forums/images/icons/grin.gif also,now the ring and pinion wont spin.

thanx for the responses!backyardbuilt,let me know whatcha find out...

scotty

8. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you will have bearing trouble doing that. The ring and pinion spinning is what pushes the 90W out to the hubs to oil them

9. scotty85

i had wondered about that.i was thinking if that was an issue i could put a small pipe plug on the cover and squirt some gear oil in before i go.once the oil is in,it cant get back into the axletube,so it will lube the bearings.

if im going to close-by trails(bout 15 miles or so) i just leave the driveshaft in and let it spin. sometimes i pull it to trails about 75 miles away. i dont really want to let stuff spin that far.

i think it would still be easier to repalce the shafts and squirt in some oil than to lay on the ground with a wrench removing the drivesahft u bolts.also,id like to keep the R&P from spinning since i swapped the gears in there myself. theyre pretty close,but definately not perfectly set up.i dont drive it street,only on the trails,and i dot usually have a set of gears in place long enuff to worry bout wearing them out in the woods.but,id still like to avoid unneccessary wear with it spinnig on the ride over.

your thots? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

at any rate,hopefully sooner than later ill have a trailer and not have to worry bout any of this crap /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

scotty

10. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I have someone checking but he is not sure usually toss them after they break, I thought the gear oil getting to the bearings was just becuase of the design, you should still run grease in them from the feedback I got.

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

By removing the shafts you will definately have trouble keeping bearings in the hubs. The rotation of the carrier is what makes the gear oil travel the length of the axle and into the bearings. You do not want grease on the bearings as someone just said, they are lubed by the differential gear oil. Why go through all this trouble when all you have to do is put the transfer case in neutral for flat towing?

12. scotty85

well,there are a couple of reasons:
    my driveshaft is "home shortened" and therefore not really balanced.yes i could remove the driveshaft from the rear axle,so it and the xfer wont spin,but that involes layig on the ground on my back turning a 1/2 inch wrench. i could buzz the shafts off,put put the plates on with air tools,and squirt a sufficient amount of oil to keep the bearings lubed. i can do all this without havig to lay on my back in the mud /forums/images/icons/wink.gif i cirrently have to put the rear drivesahft back onto the rear axle,or remove it completely, to unhook the towbar and pull into the driveway. with no rear axleshafts i couls simply unhook and put it in 4wd to pull in the driveway /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

also,i really dont want the r&p to spin. ill prollynot have the current gears in there long enuff to wear out from being flat towed,but they will wear slightly faster,and if the diff has been contaminated with water i could wait till i get home to drain and change it,since it wont be spinnig,and thouroughly mixing the water and oil together,and eating the bearings.

most importantly,in the unlikely event that i did break a 14 bolt ring,pinion,or spider gear,i would be prepaired and could pull it safely home without havig to disassemble and rmove broken parts,or having fear of broken parts getting wedged in somewhere they shouldnt and locking up the rear wheels.

i think adding a plug and fillig the hub with gear oil would keep them sufficiently lubed. if you disagree,let me know,id be interested in your opinion.

yeah,it does seem like alot of trouble,and like i said,i do leave the shaft in and let it spin to go to closer trails. but the further ones,the piece of mind i think would be worth alittle extra trouble.

eventually ill ahve a trailer,but in the meantime,i think it would be kinda cool to flat tow my rig with front hubs unlocked,rear axleashfts out,tranny ad xfer in gear /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

thanx again-
    scotty