Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTB Driver side battery tray

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1 FN HI K5, Oct 3, 2001.

1. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I spent about an hour calling every aftermarket catalog i have to buy a battery tray that bolts in on the driver side of my blazer. I know they came on some sub,one ton's. Does anybody have one they want to sell? If not i will have to search every junk yard around. Later 1 FN HI K5

2. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

You could buy one for the right side and mount it on the leftside of the radiator, and yes you would have to drill holes. This just one of my NEXT projects.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

GM did make one, I have one. I found mine at the old Blazer-Net site. I don't belive the pass side one will work too well cuz one side of the braket is long and one side is short. The long side would have to be cut off and there goes most of the support you need for a heavy batt!
    I too looked for after market and could not find one....
    They are out there so keep looking......
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

4. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

well i think i was gonna weld mine .more durable

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I have the side plates for the driver's side battery (the tray is rotted out) and the relay for the dual battery setup. You could weld a tray for the passenger's side into the side plates and it'd look pretty much right.

6. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

How much do you want for it???

72 K5 - 33's on stock susp. and lots of rust! But at least it's payed for!!!

7. 1 FN HI K5

Steve im interested in them let me know what you want for them. 1 FN HI K5

8. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

LMC has the sides and bottom for sale separately.

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

9. 1 FN HI K5

Sorry Steve i havent got back to you but i found one for only $25.00 cant pass that up thank you anyways. 1 FN HI K5

10. K85 Octane

K85 Octane Tacklin' Fuel Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That's right, it's a 13 year bump!!!

I'm looking for a driver side battery tray for my '68. The LS intake I'm using sits right in the way of the passenger battery. Someone makes them on Ebay but it's $150 + shipping. If they are the only ones that supply them, well I guess that price makes sense. :(

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Build it!!!!

It's been a long time since I've looked at one closely, but isn't the tray nothing more than a flat center section with two side panels tack welded to it?

How hard would it be to cut the spot welds off and flip the side panels around? The firewall mounting flanges might be facing the wrong way, but you can probably resolve that with a strong vice and some foul language! :D

-G

12. ashman

ashman It's not a bronco Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Octane, I just went through this myself. I'm putting a 6.0 in and ran into the same issues. I built my own tray but Greg is right, I think the stock one taken apart and rewelded would work. That is how I was going to do it but my custom electric fan bracket was in the way.

There are a few pics in my build thread but if you want more details I can post a few more for sure.

13. K85 Octane

K85 Octane Tacklin' Fuel Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes please.

I think I tossed my original tray. Should have used that for a sample. I have a brand new tray in the garage, just wrong side.

Figured if I could find it already produced, it would look better than modifying my own. (Yes, the C10 build is held to higher standards than my K5) :D

14. AJs72K5

AJs72K5 blub-blub-blub-blub Premium Member

15. ashman

ashman It's not a bronco Premium Member GMOTM Winner

unfortunately, I forgot to take pics before I installed it, but I'll show you what I've got.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Basically I just copied the tray from the passenger side but with the long and short sides flipped. The bolts you see on the left hand side go through holes that were already in the rad support. They look like the mirror of the ones on the passenger side but there are no built in threads so you'll have to run a nut on the other side.

The shorter piece bolts to the side of the big support next to the radiator just like the stock tray does but that was a bit of a pain to do. If it wasn't for the electric fan bracket in the way (the aluminum bracket in the pics) I would have changed it up a bit and just bolted it to the front of that support.

either way, it wasn't hard to build and certainly better than spending $130 imo.