Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTB kohler motor model 662 23 HP

Discussion in 'New England Region' started by jason m, Mar 4, 2007.

1. jason m

jason m 1/2 ton status

this is a little of topic but i am looking for a kohler motor model 662 for my melroe skid steer, the one i have is cracked and need a replacement. the can be found in mid 60's to late 60's skid steers and generators. let me know if you see any in your travels or if you have one thats for sale, thanks jason.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I 'll keep my eyes open..

I have not seen any Kohlers lately--I do have a 25 hp 2 cylinder Onan horizontal shaft motor though(I think its a CCK-MS model)..--not sure if that would fit in its place..has a 1-7/16" shaft..electric start...

I see these kinds of engines ocaisionally in junkyards, and scrap yards around here,since many are used in cranberry bogs,etc...unfortunately since scrap prices have risen,it is increasingly difficult to grab onto any such "treasures",because the scrap yards are SO busy,you risk getting killed by heavy machinery that is constantly unloading trailer trucks,etc--

The one place I used to buy lots of engines, and stuff like this no longer lets me roam through the yard,unless its "slow" that day..owner has had a few lawsuits over "customers" crawling through the piles of scrap that got injured..:mad: --ruins it for everyone else!...but I will keep my eye outfor one ,if I see any I'll post up here...:crazy:

3. jason m

jason m 1/2 ton status

if that motor you have had a 1 1/2'' shaft i would grad it in a heart beat, i have a 582 kohler i put in there and made a speedy sleeve for the shaft but i cant keep it tight no matter what i do. the 582 has the same 1 7/16 shaft like the 25 HP you have. thanks for looking around for me, and if you do see one or any other motor that has a 1.5'' shaft let me know. what are you asking for the 25 HP you have, thansk jason.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I will...

Have you tried using the "green" Locktite stud and bearing mount stuff??--everything I used that stuff on needed a torch to remove it later!...or maybe you could put a shaft collar on the crank,they have a set screw,that might keep the sleeve in place..I've drilled and tapped the end of the crank on some engines I had,that the pulley kept coming off of,and used a bolt and washer to retain the pulley...

The Onan I have has sat for three years or more,but its in my dry garage,and I spin it over often, so it wont seize..ran very well,came off a "Roper" tractor AFAIK....I'd like to get 300 bucks for it,I see them selling for 400-500 online often...there is one on "Craigslist" right now for 400 bucks,but another ad has one for 15 bucks,a guy in Bellingham has it,says he's cleaning his yard up..but he wants to keep the carb off it,and I doubt its in great shape for 15 bucks!..no shaft sizes listed in the ads though...probably 1-7/16" like mine most likely..:(

I also have a 4 cylinder "Y69" Continental engine/bellhousing on a factory "skid" with a huge radiator, and "feet" on it I'd sell cheap--thing is an ingot,heavy as hell!--has a 1" shaft coming off the flywheel..came from a bog pump--had it running a few years ago,but wont start now without some tinkering..probably will need refurbishing..I only kept it in case I find a Lincoln Welder or similar unit that uses that engine,or a Cub Cadet IHC tractor..doubt that'll happen anytime soon,unless of course it sells,then I'll stumble across one cheap that needs a motor,right??..:rolleyes:

I'll let you know if I run across a Kohler..I assume yours is a horizontal shaft motor,and has 2 cylinders ,right??..I know someone who owns several 12-16 hp one lunger Kohlers,and a vertical shaft 20 hp,but no 2 cylinder ones right now..:crazy:

5. jason m

jason m 1/2 ton status

i did'nt try the lock tight, the problem i am having is the speedy sleeve i made i think it a little out of balance hence making the T/C vibrate and lossen the set screws holding it to the shaft. yes the motor i need is a 2 CYL horazontal air cooled motor with a 1.5'' shaft.
    the next step if i cant find a motor is to take the crank out have it machined down to 1'' and make a thicker sleeve that will bolt on. i hate to go thru the trouble but the skid steer work's fine just need a good heart, hydralics work fine, steering is great even the tires are good. one other idea is to locate another tourqe convertor for a 1 7/16'' shaft that will take a large belt.

realy thanks i can use any help i can find, i did find a guy in ohio that builds repalcement motors that bolt into the place of the 662 but he wants close to 1800.00 dollars for one, you do get everything but thats to much for me to spend, thansk jason.