Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTB P30 diiesel tranny adapter for the th400 (for a cummins conversion)

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by camiswelding, Oct 17, 2004.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I am looking for the tranny adapter that went on P30 vans with the 3.9 cummins
    I need the
    adapter (th400 to cummins)
    flange
    flexplate
    starter
    I am gathering pieces for a cummins conversion
    ... Ive found this setup in the "yards" but I want to see if anyone has a super clean one...
    Please Im me
    thanks
    cam

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Something else to consider: use a 727 from a 1st gen dodge. The thing I don't like about the GM adapter is it tilts the motor to one side and the starter isn't as accesible as the dodge/cummins setup. 727s had RH drop NP205s as well, but I bet you already know that /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The Dodge 727 is also very cheap and easy to rebuild, as well as durable and strong as a TH400 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Last time I rebuilt one it took about 6-8 hours (my first time rebuilding one too) and less than $300 in parts including the new torque converter. No special tools are required to rebuild it either /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

this is a good tip.... I wonder how the linkage would work with the stock chevy linkage or if there is a bunch of mess around? anyone?
    my v3500 205 only has 40k miles on it so I think I would like to use an adapter from the 727 instead of finding a whole cummins 727 205 from a truck... but Im undecided about that...
    any thoughts?

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    this is a good tip.... I wonder how the linkage would work with the stock chevy linkage or if there is a bunch of mess around? anyone?
    my v3500 205 only has 40k miles on it so I think I would like to use an adapter from the 727 instead of finding a whole cummins 727 205 from a truck... but Im undecided about that...
    any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 727 and the 205 that goes behind it just missing the female sleeve.
    You can't use your 205 since the dodge is 23 spline and the case is the round 6 bolt pattern and the adapter is dodge specific.
    The linkage should work if you had previously a th400, my waggy had the th400 and this one came out of another later model waggy with the same exact configuration except the tranny tcase.
    If you want to buy it I also might sell, but I was just giving you info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I just got a th400/d20 so might not use the 727/205.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

before you go through the whole swap, let me inspect my stuff, I just seperated 2 th400's from 3.9L's..... Let me get a good look at the adapters and I'll snap a few pics if I can bring myself to sell one....

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The inputs can be swapped, and the bolt pattern can be transfered to another T-case /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ORD does this with doubler kits already, mainly re-tapping the NP203's, but I believe there is plenty of metal on the face of a 205 as well. The adapter would need to come from a 727 though.