Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTB: Parts or complete Hickey Sidewinder

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by SilverMiner, Nov 30, 2005.

1. SilverMiner

SilverMiner Registered Member

It's probably obvious from the photo of the gear that I did something supremely stupid (long story, & not very flattering) - and stripped the helical gear of my old Hickey Sidewinder winch.

It's worked perfectly well for nearly 30 years now, and if I can find a replacement gear it may live for another 30. The number cast into it is: HE101311A

The very talented machinists at the mine where I work offered to cast a new gear, if it weren't for the unknown helical cut of the teeth and the time required to figure out the keyway. Also, that original gear is all aluminum - as is nearly the entire winch, as far as I can tell.

Anybody got a dead Hickey Sidewinder they'd be willing to sell the gear out of? They are simple to remove, and the gear alone is nowhere near as heavy to ship as the entire winch.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wish i could help as i've allways wanted a sidewinder for my chalet. Settled for a period 8K Ramsey that is hidden behind the bumper. Needs a lil work but she'll be just fine.

Unfortunately you just missed a brand new sidewinder with brackets for a period bronco on ebay. Asking price was $475....and he got it. I would suggest you bip over to www.67-72chevytrucks.com and make an inquiry in the 67-72 K5 board as several of those gentlemen still own sidewinders. Matter o fact they posted some pics and what not for me last week. That web site is my second home it seems. One of the guys over there owns an original vic hickey preped 74 K5....

Also unfortunate....mr. hickey passed away last year so there is no expert to ask. Also hickey sold the rights of the sidewinder to advanced adapters somewhere in the early 80's....and of course they no longer manufacture parts orthe winches.

Hope any of this info helps...until then haveing a machinist make a new one....preferably out of steel this time is going to be your best option.
    I'll keep my eyes out for one until then...

Doug W.

3. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

4. SilverMiner

SilverMiner Registered Member

I checked out the 67-72 K5 board as you suggested - thanks for the pointer. I'd been focused on 73-91 rigs and hadn't realized they had a pretty active forum for them as well. By any chance did Jimmy72custom send you higher resolution scans of the Hickey manual with the exploded diagram??? The manual for mine was ruined by water nearly 20 years ago, and I never missed it until now.

Well, unfortunately going the machinist route is looking less feasible - money wise, anyway. The Boston Gear rep didn't give me a hard quote, but suggested I might have nearly the cost of a new Warn sunk into it once I'm done.

So hopefully I can find a gear to replace it, because I'm just goofy enough to want to keep the rig more or less original. The first owner (I'm the second) must have gone nuts either at the dealer or with the Hickey catalog, because near as I can tell my old '78 Jimmy has a about a dozen Hickey items tacked on to it and in it, from the gas tank to the push bar/front hitch/winch

[​IMG]

This is an older scan, and she looks a bit different today (Cooper Disco 33's, and the running boards are history) but it shows a few of the classic 70's aftermarket goodies.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  5. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Haven't touched bases with Jimmy72custom as of yet...gotta make a run into town for supplies as we are casing break...been out here 7 days allready and was prepared for the average 10 days it takes us to drill a well to 7500 feet.
    When i get back i imagine i'll have at least 24hours for the casing concrete to cure so i'll have plenty of f-off time and i'll follow up on that.

I don't think our website www.blazerchalet.com has a sidewinder manual...just the hickey catalog.

Would like more current pics of your 78 and some shots of all the hickey gear...thinkin we need to do a hickey page anyways. I'll pay for the film....developing etc.

You might just call advanced adapters...since they did buy the rights from hickey in the 80's....i know they don't have parts but they do custom machine a whole lot of parts....just an idea....

Keep in touch...there are not many of us retro type individuals around anymore...lol.

Doug Wright