Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTB sm465 bell housing

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by beater74, Jul 17, 2003.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

just like the title says i need a SM465 cast iron bell housing

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have an aluminum one from a 76 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup. $25 plus shipping and you can have it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thanks for the offer but it's for my buddy and it's going behind his 500cu caddy putting out 500hp/500trq /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and he wants a cast iron housing

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Good luck, don't think there are any 465 cast iron bellhousing. They were using cast aluminum at least as early as the 60's, and I personally have never seen a cast iron one.

Bellhousings typically don't break, I used to worry about them breaking too because of the AL, but there are people here that jump their trucks and don't break them. I don't think even the 435HP 427's had cast iron bellhousings.

6. kennyw

The only cast iron bellhousings I have seen were used with the SM420's (different pilot diameter than the SM465) in the 1966 and earlier trucks. Plus he has a BOP patterned motor so he needs a BOP bellhousing and not one from a truck. It may be best to look in the summit catalog for this but expect to pay around $300 at a minimum. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. kennyw

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thanks guys thats just what he told me he wants. i'll be sure to tell him he's looking for a needle in a hay stack.

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

There is such a thing as a 465 cast iron bell housing . It was made from 1968 to 1972 and has a 5-1/8" index bore . You could use a SM420 cast iron bell housing that has a 4-11/16" index bore and have a machine shop enlarge the hole .
    From what I have seen the trucks used a cast iron bell housing up until 1973 and most passenger car applications used an aluminimum housing .
    I know none of this matters because you are looking for a B.O.P bolt pattern but I thought it might help . Tell him to get the steel Lake Wood racing bell housing and drill it for his block pattern . Good luck , Tom

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck, don't think there are any 465 cast iron bellhousing. They were using cast aluminum at least as early as the 60's, and I personally have never seen a cast iron one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had one in my K5, wuth a SM 465.
    I dont need it because when I put in my NV 4500. I have it, but it would be far to ship.

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey I just pulled a 465 outta a '72 C20 and it has a cast iron bellhousing. A magnet sticks to it so it isn't aluminum...
    PM me if you want it.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

Bellhousings typically don't break, I used to worry about them breaking too because of the AL, but there are people here that jump their trucks and don't break them. I don't think even the 435HP 427's had cast iron bellhousings.

[/ QUOTE ]

so false that its not even funny, the cast iron bellhousings came with two pilot hole diameters and were used with all manual trannies before at least 72 in the trucks anyways, i dont know in the cars,

aluminum wasnt around til no earlier than 73

5 1/8" are the 69-up ones and the 68 under 465 and 420 and 435 and 435CR bell housings

you wont find an aluminum one in trucks before 73

alot of ppl apparently know very little about the 67-72 trucks... and earlier even..

i wil have one soon from a 71 C30 dually 465 truck, i dont even need to look i already know its cast iron with cast iron astarter nose just like all the rest of the 72 older trucks were.

i bet some of you have never seen a three bolt chevy cast iron starter for these bellhousings, they ont bolt to the engine block they bolts through bellhousing only and bolts go across not vertical, i have three such nice working starters here still, the inspection pans for these were two piece, one flat piece of tin across in front of flywheel and another under the bellhousing acting as the pan

also there were no such thing as tailmount tranny mounts for the manual; tranny trucks, they were all mounted at and on the bellhousing there are two mount holes tapped into these cast iron housings for a special rear engine mount crossmember

in fact here is an auction for one, notice in description the bototm mounting pads, those are the rear engien mounting locations, the tranyn simply just hung off the bellhousing free in the air no tail mount crossmember, not til 73 in the trucks

here is a car iron one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2425021260&category=33733

notice no rear engine mounting spots, its not a truck one 72 and older

there were only two casting numbers for the truck iron hpousings before 73 that im aware of, the large pilot one and the smaller pilot one.