Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF are SHIMS doing under my front axle???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Oct 2, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've gotta tell you I'm not too excited about this. I was putting in my bluetorchfab diff cover last night and looked over at my front axle perches. I almost wet my pants. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've got 2 shims shoved in from the front on each side. One is a solid shim, and one has a big groove cut out of the center, lengthwise. The passenger grooved (furthurmore known as POS /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) one is cracked, and the driver side POS is trying to work its sorry assss out of there. I was dumbfounded. I've found some real dumbass things in this truck since I've bought it, but stacked shims??????????

My question is why you would even need a shim in the front in the first place? You have a CV joint in the driveshaft so vibes shouldnt be a concern. Dan has shims (singles) in his as well but he says they came with the truck too. I took some pics last nite, and hopefully danny will get off his lazy butt today and host them for me... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Maybe they were trying to fix death wobble or some other handling problems by adjusting the caster /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Can't I do the same thing by cutting and rotating the knuckles? A little more time consuming I know, but I hate things that are done half-assed!

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

There was a post about this I think, maybe a month ago. Shims used to adjust castor IIRC. Search for HarryH3 posts, I think he 'splained it.

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Is one of the shims part of the leaf spring pack? If its bolted to the pack I wouldn't let it worry you too much, but the grooved ones that could pop out would certainly cause me concern. I can't remember off the top of my head if my lift springs came with a shim installed or not .. hafta look.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm not sure if they're part of the pack or not...no way to really tell i guess unless I stripped the spring pack down. I think i'm going to try sliding the grooved shims out, tighten stuff back down, and see where that leaves me.

7. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

They are there to SHIM it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I think most lift springs come with them attached to the pack.
    If you have double shims the P O might have put it there for alignment purposes. Yes cutting & turning the axle would be the right thing to do but you know that doesnt always happen.

Keep in mind if you do deceide to cut & turn them that the frt end is in good shape first.

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes cutting & turning the axle would be the right thing to do but you know that doesnt always happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often does this happen at all? Seems like a lot of work for a few degrees, some steel shims bolted into the spring pack seems like a pretty good way to go, or even a tapered zero rate if one wants a bit more lift.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have ran small shims under mine for years. They came with my 4" Ranchos and I kept them when I threw the Superlifts under. I'm ditching them when I put in my '60 though.

10. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

how much lift are your springs? I know 8" front springs have them from the factory that way.

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

4" lift stiff ass procomps. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yes cutting & turning the axle would be the right thing to do but you know that doesnt always happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often does this happen at all? Seems like a lot of work for a few degrees, some steel shims bolted into the spring pack seems like a pretty good way to go, or even a tapered zero rate if one wants a bit more lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt mean to come across as shims are WRONG.
    I do agree with you on the tapered zero rates & "the steel bolted in part".

I do think stacking shims is about as wrong as stacking blocks.

just my 2 cents.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah I have to agree, stacking shims sounds pretty stupid.