Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF...degree shim in front springs...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jul 27, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I began installing my front 6" lift springs today to gain a little altitude over the 2" lift the previous owner had put on...Upon removal of the front springs, I found a shim mounted between the spring and the axle with he fat part of the shim facing the rear of the axle...what the hell was this for...it is obviously not for driveline angle (although I must say I have never had any vibes) because it is mounted the wrong way...could it be for the camber angle and to help retain the "on-center" steering? Basically, should I toss these with my 6" springs or put them back where I found them?

Chris

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

They are alignment shims, used to dial in the caster (not camber).
    Positive Caster is like the front forks on a bike.

At some-point, someone installed the shims to get the front axle caster dieled in to the requested 8- degrees positive. (8 degrees is ALOT of caster)

Toss 'em (or keep-em hang on to 'em, just incase), install the axle and new springs streight-up and have it aligned after XXX miles, after the spring have had a chance to softend up a bit.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Whoever installed your springs was an idiot. Those shims are to bring driveline angle up when you do a lift. Yes, you'll lose some caster this way, but it's the only way without cutting and welding that you're going to get a decent driveline angle.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I used the shims on my 2.5" front springs,but they are facing the right way. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif