Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wtf? energy sus.? update, new problem*pictures*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Apr 5, 2006.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

they only make the tranny mount for a 89, not the motor mounts?
    jegs says there is no listing for the motor mount for a 85-89 trucks

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What's different '84 to '85 on Chev motor mounts??

Just as an FYI, I tried to put energy sus. poly mounts in my truck, which involves removing the rivets in the stock motor mounts, and replacing the rubber with poly. Wouldn't you know it, the "stock" (really aftermarket) pieces wouldn't fit the poly, they had modified the design a bit in an apparent attempt to use less metal and rubber, which wouldn't allow the poly to fit in there.

MAYBE there was an actual change like that in the motor mounts, (it didn't affect fit to the frame or engine) but I've never heard of such a thing.

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I have the Energy Suspension clam shell motor mounts for my 1 ton crew cab with a 454 in it so you just need a better source. call Energy direct. I needed a spicific bushing for a custom application and I talked to a rep at a truck show about it. he did not have the info right in front of him but gave me his number and said to call him at work and he would help. so I called him on the following Monday he gave me all the part numbers I needed, went down to 4WP got my buddies discount, bought everything I needed. could not have been any easier.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya just the guy at jegs was dumb
    i called summit and got them

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I had a really good experience with Energy. I went to the big 4wpw truck show, and talked to the rep about a full body bushing kit for my '73 K5. He pulled outtheir catalog and circled a p/n. So I went to the counter, showed the dude the circled p/n and paid up. A few days later, I got my body mounts, buttheyt were for the later year blazer. I looked at the catalog and the guy had circled the wrong p/n. I hadn't bothered to check before ordering. The difference between the two kits is only 2 bushings, the ones for '73 are taller than the later years. So I needed to swap these two for the taller two. I asked if I could swap individual bushings in the kit. I immediately got an apologetic email. Two days later, I get the missing bushings in the mail. But, they were the wrong ones again. I emailed again, and the rep from the show called me, was extremely apologetic, and had the correct ones overnited, with a whole crapload of stickers, an Energy banner, and a nice ball cap. I wasn't in any hurry to put them in, so the time lag, although only a few days, didn't bother me any. But the customer service and communication was excellent.

BTW, I replaced the engine mounts in my '73 with the poly inserts from Energy. They went right into the stock clamshells, no problem.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the ones that I put in my 85 S10 were the same way. I just squeezed them together with a vice and welded up the rivetholes to hold it together.

7. dyeager535

Heh, I didn't try a vise, I was pissed off (due to fit, not the results since I had to try something) because I bent the mounts trying to pull the halves together with bolts. I said screw it at the time, next time an engine or trans mount fails, I'll swap them all out, but I have yet to see an *engine* mount our style that has actually failed.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the ones I replaced in my S10 were in fact failed. The bushings hadn't been destroyed but they shifted badly in the clamshell. The one motor mount was just leaning against the clamshell. S10 uses the same clamshell mounts as a k5.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

my mounts were failed, rubber torn apart, fell in pieces when i took it out

anyway question????????
    the urethane mounts that are supposed to fit inside the cllam shell dont, they are too wide by about 1/4 inch on each side

can i cut them down?

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

nothin?

11. dyeager535

Only thing *I* can say is that maybe you've similar issues I did...cheap aftermarket mounts that have clamshells not the same as stock.

I don't have a set to look at, but IIRC the poly blocks have grooves cut into them to line up with the clamshell to hold them in place. As long as the block is held into the clamshell firmly, I don't see a problem...if that much rubber held, then that much poly will too.

I'd probably still rather keep them fullsize, but that would involve comparing your clamshells to a stock GM one, if you can find and ID any positively as stock. No other ideas from me. :(

12. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

not sure, I will look at mine and check the fit. can you post a pic?. I do know there tight as hell.

13. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

The ones that I picked up are exactly like what you say. I was planning on cutting mine down. Just been busy fixing the dd and havnt gotten much done with the blazer.

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

15. dyeager535

I call BS, (not on you, that energy would make that big of a mistake) and say that those are not GM clamshells.

As I said before, the stuff that was on my engine crossmember was not GM stuff, and the clamshells didn't fit. I was thinking it was "front to rear" clearance that was the issue, not the width.

If you've got one local, go to a chain auto store and see if they have any enginen mounts in stock that are larger than what you are dealing with. That's why I ended up buying new rubber mounts, I realized I needed different clamshells, (the "right" size) and might as well get new rubber mounts and wait until those fail to add poly.

16. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Dale, Mine are just like that. And they are an off brand not the energy suspension ones.

17. kram

kram Registered Member

wow

i can't belive this thread. i just did mine. 88 v2500 sub.
    i had bought the mounts back in jan. so i get the driver side out
    in 15 min cut the shell apart 2 min.
    then spend an hour sanding down the insert to fit!!!!
    way too wide just like the pic.tried grease and a press no way.
    used a large scotch brite pad in a drill.not hard but messy.almost an
    half inch per side so i could press it together.then i had to do the top and
    bottom also.i'm not complaining mind you i'ts a very tight fit now.
    the sheet said gm 3 bolt shell type.
    mine was actually a 4 bolt type but the crossmember only has holes for
    2 on the top and the rear bottom??

tomorrow pass side i'll send pics.

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

look at the clamshells, there is no way the could be any wider, if they were, the bolts could not fit in it.

19. dyeager535

I dunno, when mine didn't fit, it was just how they had made the clamshells that they woudln't fit.

I see what you are talking about with the bolts. Does energy have a 1-800 number or email contact you can hit them up at? I'd be curious to see how they respond. Don't know what else to say, I don't understand why/how anything as common as SBC engine mount pieces could be made wrong.?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya they have a e-mail, e-mailed them with no responce