Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF File... Headers and Air Cleaner....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 6, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

So I call Summit and order their dynomax knockoff headers for my blazer, specify all the necessary things like manual transmission, 350, 4x4, etc... and when the shop installs them, they need to cut part of the frame to get the headers to fit. I call Summit back to tell them about it, and they say they'll need a bill for the cutting to do anything about it... ok, I'll call them back with the info when I get the bill...

I put a 600 holley on top of my 350, and tell the shop to find me a chrome air cleaner for it. They get one and try to put it on, and it doesn't fit because of the 2 screws on top of the carb... it is designed for a 5 1/8" neck, but just plain doesn't fit. I had the same issue with the Q-Jet air cleaner when I attempted to use that instead. Again, I called Summit for a new air cleaner... they have 1 air cleaner with a 1/2" drop on the neck, and then they have the K&N with a 1 1/4" drop on the neck... both are in the $70-150 range, and I don't think I should have to pay that much for an air cleaner that mounts up to a holley carb. What the hell am I doing wrong? As of right now, I'm driving around without an air cleaner, and I'm worried since it's a brand spanking new engine.

So, my question for you guys is, who makes an air cleaner in the $20-50 range that will sit on my carb without hitting anything in the engine compartment? 14" is too big as well, since I have an Accel distributor cap which is about twice the size of a stock one.

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Sorry I have no advice for where to get an air cleaner, but please, DONT DRIVE AROUND WITHOUT AN AIR CLEANER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dirt will kill your engine way faster than you think. Dont drive it until you get some sort of filter on it. That is all.
    -Harrison

3. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

Holly or they should know call there tec dept.
    I get the # of stuff i order before hand just for that reson all the manufacters have web sites and tec departments.
    Ive even had part # and had parts guys tell me so and so dose not make it!