Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF??? I just heard the carnage in Manhattan...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Geez, the oil tanker blows up and the freakin gas stations are already changing the price of gasoline here in Central Missouri. Tell me this... Why the Hell are they raising the price on gas that was already in their damned supply tank!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Now, don't go out and do what all stupid americans do and wait in line for hours to pay $5 per gallon.

The prices will be fine in a few days. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I work at a gas station and we get deliveries often so if you don't raise the price previous to taking a delivery you are kind of losing money on that delivery since you are paying the higher price for it but not charging the higher one. My boss doesn't make more than a couple cents on each gallon of gas.

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree with sled-dog. I have a good friend who owns a gas station/convience store and it is amazing how little they actually make off of the gas sales. It is usually less than $.04 per gallon.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I think my boss makes like 4 cents to like a max of 6 cents on the gallon. It adds up of course but people sure like to think the gas price is just people trying to make money. well I guess it is but not the business owners.

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I've heard it is about 4 cents a gallon profit or so most stations make. Why stations like Arco have the mini marts.... another source of making money. I hate this gas price gouging. It's all a bunch of lies, and they are getting away with it and screwing us. But why not... like any government offical cares. They don't pay for their gas anyhow. They just use credit cards provided by us, the tax payers... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I hate it all too. Someone came into work the other day and started talkingabout iraq and all, they were like yeah well at least if we take them the gas price will go down... no wait it most likely won't. I said yeah, the price will remain the same because now we became used to it and the cost to them will go down dramatically. Even if the gas companies lower prices the government will probably just add taxes and keep the price where it is. Like ChevyCaGal said, what do they care they don't even pay for gas?

7. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

The refineries are the ones making all of the profit. Saw a break down on the news the other day, went something like this:

Assuming 2.00 per gallon:
    .60 for the crude oil
    .80 for the refinery
    .50 for the state taxes
    .10 for the station

Or somewhere in the neighborhood of those numbers. Bottom line, gas station wasn't to blame, but the refineries who enjoy a nice incestual relationship with eachother.

refinery #1: "should we raise the prices?"

refinery #2: "sure, why not"

Then this morning, one of the consumer groups was talking about the differences in oil, and hence gas prices, on the west coast as compared to midwest and east coast. Out here, a barrel of oil costs $50 (roughly), where as everywhere else, it costs $35. The oil companies have no valid reasoning for this.

People shouldn't be protesting war, try gas prices. (insert typical liberal comment about war = oil interests here)

8. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Got Wheeling on the mind, "WTF??? I just heard the carnage in Manhattan..." i was thinking the ORV in Kansas!

But that is a bad deal, not making light of a bad thing!

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The refineries are the ones making all of the profit. Saw a break down on the news the other day, went something like this:

Assuming 2.00 per gallon:
    .60 for the crude oil
    .80 for the refinery
    .50 for the state taxes
    .10 for the station

Or somewhere in the neighborhood of those numbers. Bottom line, gas station wasn't to blame, but the refineries who enjoy a nice incestual relationship with eachother.

refinery #1: "should we raise the prices?"

refinery #2: "sure, why not"

Then this morning, one of the consumer groups was talking about the differences in oil, and hence gas prices, on the west coast as compared to midwest and east coast. Out here, a barrel of oil costs $50 (roughly), where as everywhere else, it costs $35. The oil companies have no valid reasoning for this.

People shouldn't be protesting war, try gas prices. (insert typical liberal comment about war = oil interests here)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a slight difference in that. Refinery's do make good money, I won't deny that. I wouldn't have worked in one as long as I did if I didn't make money. The downside is, people get "lumped" a lot of times. The sales department is very rarely part of the "refinery" What looks like a refinery making a lot of money, is in all honesty, the marketer making the money. It goes to the same company, but not exactly the same location. I grew up in a refinery. Been around it all my life. I'm no expert, but I'm familiar with the way it works.

10. Mudzer

No matter what the breakdown is, the point remains - gas stations or anybody in the petrolium industry are capitalizing from the current events. Heres a point.

When the oil prices go up per barrel like they did this morning - Do the suppliers of automotive oil like (Wal-Mart, AutoZone, Napa, O'Reilly, and others) raise the price per quart of oil? NO, so why do Refineries raise the prices, which leads to the raising of Gasoline at the pump? And, do said Gas Stations receive a call on the <font color="red"> Bat Phone </font> telling them to raise the prices that particular day?

Enlighten us oh attendant of gas!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

they do make a call to their suppliers and their suppliers do tell them how much its gonna cost them. I will definetally admit that most stations you see raising the prices are anticipating cost more than they are being told their new costs. And why do the refineries raise the price like that? they can! plain and simple, we need gas they supply it they can charge what they want cause as was stated before their all in freaking bed together and say hey lets all raise prices.

12. Mudzer

Makes sense, but dont the Gas Stations "anticipate costs" on gas they currently have in their supply tanks and don't these costs only cost the Gas Station when they refill the tank? If so, thats definate robbery! But, I heard you can report such activity to the District Attorney and they will assess a fine to the Station in question. Happened in St. Louis on 9/11 - they raised the prices - even without the price per barrell went up!

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was saying kind of saying that, that they were anticipating the next delivery and charging tha tmuch for whats in their tanks whicH I agree is wrong. I know at work we don't raise prices till the end of the night so once and a while you get lucky and pay the previous price for the more expensive shipment we just got. No difference just cost to us.

14. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I can see your arguement: gas station paid lower price for what is in tank so why up prices until they have to refill their supply.

Here is my take. The gas stations tanks are full. Oil prices go up. The station raises the price of gas. They sell all that they had and order some more at the higher price. Then oil prices drop and due to competition they have to lower their gas prices. They are losing money on that shipment of gas, so any they made selling the cheaper gas for more money is now gone.

I think it all works out in the end.

Mike

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I guess sometimes it works out that way.

16. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Not saying every one should drive ricers,but,normally I spend average20$ a week in my 88SWB.When gas went to 1.85 here I had 1/2 tank.been nearly 2 weeks and still have 1/2.Have only put 10$ in 2WD toy.Would rather drive 88,but,it will only get fed to go wheeling.Saves wear on the swampers too.If we can make demand go down the prices should go down too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

WEll.... At autozone... Oil is at an all time low. THe "Coastal" brnad of oil is only 99cents a quart !
    There ya have it.
    Blake

18. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Gas

[/ QUOTE ] when you consider I think its 3.8 liters for gallon canada isn't better, as it may appear. My friend in canada says where he is is 89 cents a liter, or 3.11 canadian a gallon. Thats about 2.09 a gallon american