Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wtf is so great about cellphones?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hack500, Jul 9, 2006.

?

what do you got?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2006.
  1. I do have a cell phone and don't mind being tracked everywhere I go and who I call

40.4%
  2. I have a cell phone and didn't realize that I'm being tracked constantly.

8.5%
  3. it's part of my job and I'm being paid well enough to not care.

23.4%
  4. I don't want or need a cell phone.

27.7%
  1. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

society has existed for thousands of years without cellphones or constant communication technology. so can someone explain the psychological disorder of needing a cellphone? and no I'm not just being a smart-ass I actually want to know.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

extreme convienence, after having one for some time, and then for some reason or another losing it, or being shut off due to non-payment:doah: it gets kinda weird NOT having one,,,

but then again, after not having one for awhile, ya start to get used to it again.:crazy:

BTW, there's no nekkid option

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

There used to be no cars either.........................

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it makes things so much easier. Especially for someone like me with a horrible memory. I very often end up somewhere asking myself... why am I here? What was I sent for? Where did I leave that? Why did I lock my keys in my car? All of which are much easily answered(or fixed int eh case of the keys thing) with a cellphone call. Now when I lock the phone in the car... well hasn't happened yet...

It relieves a lot of boredom for me. Nothing to do? text some friends and have a quick mini conversation. When I lived at school didn't have a land line. Monetarily no reason to.

Tracking issue? You realize you are on the internet and your service provider can and is tracking everything you do? Random sites are tracking you, this site is logging your IP address.... want me to continue?

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

where is the tin foil hat option?
    jeez you kidding me
    tracked everywhere i go?
    you bet, i am sure the government has enough money, spare time, people, etc, to track me and every conversation i make
    gimmie a flippin break

yes i have a cell phone, i also used to think they were garbage, but now, if i get stuck on the side of the road, i can make a call and get help a lot sooner than walking my fat ass to the next exit.
    Or i can call and get dinner reservations on the way to the spur of the moment dinner, and any hundreds of other useful calls i can make.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's like having a portable e-mail computer, mini phone book, telephone, calculator, and answering machine in a package you can carry in your pocket.

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I've had cell phones since the time of the small suitcase ones. I feel absolutely nekkid without it. Kinda like being without my beltknife. Really weird. Anyway the only time my phone is being "tracked" is when I make a 911 call.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I have a cell phone cause I would look pretty focking stupid driving down the road with phone cable dragging behind My truck..............

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i wont go from one end of the house to the other without it... ive got a V3 razr right now but in october im getting something with a web browser an keyboard in it.

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I had one up until about 10 days ago. That's when I "dropped" it against the wall. 5 times. It was the weirdest thing....

I'm kinda liking being inaccessible. My life has really seemed to slow down since I "dropped" it. Or maybe that's because I stopped going to work. :dunno:

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am required to carry one 24/7 incase of a nuclear issue then I get recalled to sit in a room and input data and all that kewl stuff:doah: . Once again running toward the danger:D

Ira

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Real men don't need to hide thier actions

13. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have one but dont like it. My mom made me get one so she could keep in touch and know what I was doing then made me pay for it. Ive got all the cheapest options and all it is used for is calling people. No texting no internet none of that. sometimes I like being unreachable so I can get away but its kinda nice to have in emergencies, like breaking down, being able to get a hold of when something happens to people close to me and keeping in touch with friends and relatives but that can be done with a regular house phone. when I live on my own I will prolly own only a cell phone just because it would be easier then having both but in a world without emergencies where friends and families live close enough to just go visit each other I would prefer to have neither because I hate talking on the phone.;)

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you too huh?
    hey come on in to work, the first target
    ya, sure good idea

15. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Forgot to mention, you (well, I anyways) can talk to whoever I want wherever they may be as much as I want between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. and all weekend. So long distance is essentially free. That's nice when you're in school and your family, friends, and girlfriend, are all in different zip codes.

16. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I've got a cell phone because I need one to be accessible 24/7... something about mission essential personnel. If there's 5 feet of snow outside... I get a phone call letting me know I gotta tunnel my way to work.

But anyways, the main reason why is because I don't see the reason for a land line when I can take my phone with me anywhere in the country.

17. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Definetly needs a naked option. Just to make my point I will go make a naked cell phone call right now:D

18. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I've come to love mine. I actually take it with me when I go to the mountains. It'll get a signal a lot of crazy places.

19. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Yup, they can track you,,we have a system at work that our men "punch in and out" at different construction sites via their nextel...gives us the lat/lon to show where they are at....

don't want to be bothered or tracked????
    most people forget,,,they do have an off button......:D

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

cell phones are very handy. If your rig breaks down 500 miles from nowhere, for example, you can just call for help as opposed to walking 25 miles in 100 degree temps to the nearest gas station. lol!

They help me coordinate with my parents or wife when we are gonna do family stuff too. If my wife is at the store buying food, she can call me at work and ask if I need/want anything.

Also, punctuality is VITAL to keeping your job where I work and I take the bus to get there. If I get stuck in traffic or the bus breaks down or whatever, I can use my cell to call work and let them know whats going on ahead of time. If I do that, its no harm / no foul. If I don't call and just show up late, I get crappier scores on my year-end review and therefore get a smaller annual raise. I prolly also lose out on some overtime and other perks. Not good.

Having a cell phone also allows me to not even have a landline phone at my house. This is good because I don't get 1/100th as many salemen calling... and my cell phone can always be with me where ever I go. I also save $$$ as previously mentioned because my long distance is "free".

I don't wear a watch and I don't carry a Gameboy with me... but I have a clock/calender and games on my phone that work well enough. Its handy.

I'm not worried about tracking. Believe me, if the government wants to know your every move.. it ain't hard for them to find out, whether you have a phone or not... or even if you have a aluminum foil hat or not. :thumb:

Lastly, if my wife is in trouble because some POS has broken into the house, I don't want her to not be able to call me/the cops because the creep is lurking around the house between her and a phone. Not good... not good at all!

j