Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF is THAT THING IN MY DRIVEWAY???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Sep 12, 2006.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yesterday morning,my sister yells to me "Come here QUICK!--there's a HUGE bird out in the driveway--it looks like a BUZZARD!!"...:eek1:

I thought "yea,right--its probably one of the big hawks I see floating around--we have several red tails and coopers hawks around here,and even a Bald Eagle or two..

But I go look out the window,and guess what??--IT IS A BUZZARD!".:yikes: ..and it was HUGE!...I looked online,it was a "Turkey Buzzard"..had a red head and an ugly beak--it was the ugliest bird I ever did see!..I got a few 35mm snapshots with my camera--have to see if they come out when I finish the roll,and get them developed..

It was eating either a dead bird,or a mouse our many stray cats left in the yard!--they all stared at the Buzzard,but didn't dare approach it!..I was pretty suprised to see THAT thing in my yard,tearing peices of dead carion up for breakfast!...:eek1: :laugh: ..I never knew Buzzards lived this far north,but the info I got online says they go as far as Canada!..:screwy:

Maybe it was a bad omen--my riding mower screwed up right after that--then I get in an argument with my mother..(that happens daily though!)..:rolleyes:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We see them all of the time. The old folks say that if you scare it bad it will puke.

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Well, scare a buzzard is on my list of things to do in life.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

They definitely come that far north. I grew up in Cleveland, OH and the buzzards "coming home to Hinckley Park" was our city's version of the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano every year. Ugly does not begin to describe them. I've got bunches of pics in a box somewhere.

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have heard the same thing, also "If you shoot him while hes flying, better kill him, if not he will puke on you".

6. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

They vomit as a self defense thing.

They eat rotten meat and stuff all day. Their vomit smells horrid and if you were a predator would you really want to eat something that just created a pile of absolute disgust?

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

8. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

nah I have shot a few buzzards in my days, and they wont puke on you if you shoot them. If you shoot them it sounds like a rapid fire beebee gun. They dont have a whole lot of meat on them so you can hear the shots rattling off of the bones and feathers. Its pretty weird, and really fun. You also know its hot outside, if your driving down the road and you see a buzzard on the side of the road up in a tree with its wings spread out airing them out.

Remington

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

http://www.eriezoo.org/turkey_vulture.htm

I gotta find me one of those birds :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ha, Turkey Buzzards are a dime a dozen here.

11. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Them suckers stink too!!Also don't hit them with your truck or it will stink too.