Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF is the vibration coming from. New axles!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Okiemuddog, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Okay got my 14Bff and D44 installed, now I have a vibe about 45MPH and gets worse the faster you go. This is really pissing me off, I have new joints on either end of the shaft. I had no vibration with my 12B. I know it is the rear driveline beacause my rear seal on my NP203 is leaking now and was not before the new axles. Does anyone have ANY sugeestion, the vibe is bad enough I am afraid to drive my rig. I have 4" lift, I didn't have any vibes before so I would not think it would be driveline angle. What is included in doing a rear seal on a NP203, I am going to have to replace it once I find the vibe. ANY help would be appreciated!!!!!

Krennen

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Have you droped the tcase an inch? If not try that.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> What are the angles at the shaft/t-case and the shaft/axle yoke? </font>

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Measure the angle between your drive shaft and pinion yoke. Then measure the angle between your driveshaft and yoke going into your tranny. These two angles should be the same unless your running a CV. Harbor Freight sells a angle finder for about $5.00.
    [​IMG]

5. Okiemuddog

Well, I found part of the problem, I have a twin stick set up on my 203, I guess while we had the truck jacked up, some how my linkage on the T-case got bent. I just happened to rattle the front shaft and it was locked. I guess this last few days I have been in 4wd and did not know it. It was actually the front shaft vibrating and let fluid leak out the front output, which was blowing back and looked like it was coming from the rear output. I pulled the linkage, straightened it, put it back in, checked to make sure it was in 2wd now and went for a test run. The vibe improved a 1000% I know why my front shaft vibrates, the yoke on it it wore enough that it has some slack in it. I still have a small vibe, but nothing I can't live with till I get my shackle flip to change the pinion angle some.
    Thanks for the help and yes I am stupid. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Krennen

6. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Pretty easy fix. Lowering the t-case might cure the rest of it, but probably not worth the time with a slight vibe.

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Glad you found your problem. I just wanted to add some FYI for anyone else who might read this post. I have seen lots of poeple get vibes after an axle swap. Most of the time folks swap in axles with lower gears which causes the driveshaft to spin faster at a given vehicle speed. Any vibes that went unnoticed with your 3.08 geared 12 bolt will now be much more noticeable with your 4.10 geared 14 bolt. The vibes that would have occurred at very high speed may now occur normal to low highway speeds.

8. Okiemuddog

'79Beast,
    Man that one sooooooo obvious it hurt, of course I did not think of that, but makes it perfect sense. I went from 3.08's to 4.56's, so I increased the driveline speed considerably. I am not sure of what is causing my small vibe now, but I will find it in time. I did drop my t-case right after I bought the truck, I think what is causing my vibe now is that the 14B has a longer and lower pinion than the 12B I took out. I think that since the pinion is closer and lower that my driveline might be binding up a little, but that is a great reason to convince the wife why I need a shackle flip. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I really appreciate the help, this is a great bunch of people on here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

Krennen