Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wtf is wrong with my deck!!???

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Oblin Goblin, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Ok, this is driving me crazy. A few weeks ago I replaced my alternator. When I got the electical system hooked up again, my stero wouldn't turn on (its a Pioneer DEH-P5200). It was getting power and I was able to get a CD that I had left in it out but it wouldn't turn on. Eventually After checking the wiring and messing with it for a while I just gave up. Then a couple days later I was driving and I tried to put a CD in and it took it! Everything worked! I left the CD in for a few days and while it was in there everything was fine. Yesterday I went to put a new one in and it wouldn't take it. Same problem again. I did manage to get a CD in. I kinda forced it and it finally took the CD but it still wouldn't turn on. Then today, with the CD still in it turned on and played when I started my truck up. Then when I went to drive home it turned on for a split second and then shut off, and refused to come back on again. What the hell is going on here?? Some times I can get it to give and take CDs but when it does it does so reluctantly, the CDs come out really slow. I've checked the wires to the deck coming from the battert and ignition switch and they're both getting 12 volts. Anybody know whats going on with this thing? I know its a pretty complicated problem but I was hoping someone might have had some experiance with a problem like this before.
    Thanks

2. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

ok i put a new cd player and 3 1/2 speakers in mine and when i got it all hooked up i decideed to put a new dash in the the problem happened the unit i have is a sony and most units have a thing where they will cut of if any speaker whire is tuching meatal or anything like that so id suggest u cheack to see if any of ur conections are grounding out and cheack all ur speakers

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Oblin Goblin

Thanks. I checked for grounded speaker wires and didn't find anything. The audio repair places around here wern't sure exactly what was wrong with it but they quoted $100 to $120 to fix it. Since thats about 2/3rds what I paid for the deck I decided to get a new one (deh-p740). Should be here by Thursday /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

can i have your old deck? i will pay shipping

5. Oblin Goblin

You've got dibs on it if I get rid of it. I'm gonna try to see if pioneer will issue a free repair on it since its less than 2 years old. They gave me a free repair on my amp cause I only had it a year and half when it quit working. I'll see if I can do the same with my deck. I'll be getting rid of this one no matter what since I've already bought a new one. If I can get it fixed I'll sell it for money, if I can't its yours for the cost of shipping and you can try to fix it if you want.

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

intermitted ground problem is what it sounds like. Some people think the Antena lead is going to be a good ground and it's not.

Check that and let us know what you find out.... I like working on old decks so put me in line for your old deck.....

7. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

Isnt the antenna lead blue?

350/208/3.73Gov-Lock/31's

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're talking about the blue wire, that's usely a power antenna/remote wire used to (1) raise the power antenna, (2) turn on a amp. Deffently NOT a ground !!!!!!!!!!

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Marshall, What I was talking about is that a lot of people just plug their antenna in and don't run a true ground and that is wrong. The antenna isn't a ground for the radio. I've also heard people say that their deck cage is making the ground and that they don't need to connect the Black Ground wire from the deck. I not saying that any of these are what are going on here but I wanted to remind him to check the ground, he stated that he had checked power but not ground.