Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF is wrong with people?? ROTD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the beast, Apr 12, 2005.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Are people out of their minds when asking a price for a D60 front? I mean a 14bff is only worth MAYBE $200, but the prices for D60 fronts is just getting out of hand. Is a 14 bolt that much inferior than a D60? I didn't think so....

There's a guy in the FS forum asking $3000 for a completely DIS-assembled D60. Now I'm not not knocking this guy. I don't even know him. So if he's here or you're one of his buddies, no offense meant.

But when the hell is too much?! If I were to buy that axle (nevermind have delivered half way across the country, assemble, and install) it would end up costing me more than my truck and all it's mods to date, including the purchase price of the truck!!

Even people on Ebay are starting their bidding at almost $1000 cause it says "rock crawler" in their ad.

I'm ready to start boycotting 60's like I'm boycotting middle eastern oil...

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I am rebuilding a HP D60 from a 1979 F350 SRW right now and plan to sell it for around $800. Mainly because of the demand for the SAS value. Should be a fast and easy sell as most i see on e-bay start around $1K like you said.

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

That's the great thing about the F/S board. When people ask waaay too much $$$ for something, they are usually ignored, and after a while may get the idea.
    Having said that, I am glad I scored one for $150 :D

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its just simple supply and demand, 14ff are a dime a dozen because there are tons of them out there, a 60 is more rare so its going to cost more. If i sell a 60 for 500 bucks the price is set at that, untill someone sells one for 600 bucks, the more people pay for them the higher the price will get. I only paid 200 for mine though :blush:

5. nkldrgr

nkldrgr Registered Member

Check www.craigslist.com People on Ebay know what they have...people on craigs list don't always know what they've got. I bought mine from there. I don't even think the guy had "dana" or "60" anywhere in his post. He had something like "one ton chevy" and "big axle" but axle was spelled wrong.

I got mine there for $600.00 Trevor at WFO Concepts helped me get all the rebuild parts I need to make it as new as possible. All in all, I may have a grand in it total. That is totally rebuilt.
    Good Luck

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the laws of supply and demand therefore tell us that a D60 (even one in pieces) is worth more than your rig. ;) dont feel bad, my D60 (actually assembled) is worth more than anything else on my truck...

j

7. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

I'm thinkin I'm stayin' with the D44 and get some beefy shafts for it. If a Dana 60 is starting to get above a grand to START, I'm thinkin I'm not down with that at all. D44's are pretty good for everyday stuff. Only when you get up to big blocks and 44" boggers and rocks the size of a small country while your right foot is to the floorboard do you have problems. I know I just opened myself up to the "I love my Dana 60" people but not EVERYBODY needs one. I'm not meaning to start anything here. I just had to let that out :D

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i will keep the 3 i have and be done with it. got some good deals on them:D

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just bought a completely working 1985 K30 Duallie for $1500 with a Dana 60 in it. It is funny how an entire truck with a Dana 60 is considered worth less than a Dana 60 (out of a truck) in pieces is :grin:.

BTW, I just got finished putting a 1" body lift (from ORD) on it, and 6 brand new 33" A/T tires (all the way around) on it. I will post some pictures of it when I can get around to it.

10. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I've heard from many folks the 14bolt is stronger than a Dana60, Furd and Mopar guys included. Personally wouldn't know, don't have either. :D

11. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but you can't go buy a 14bolt front out of the classifieds... Sure, they can be made, but that will cost you more than just buying the 60

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

The 14 bolt rear is stronger than the dana 60 rear. That is not the issue being discussed here, though. We are talking a dana 60 front out of a 1 ton. They are a very different animal than the rear 60s.

13. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just curious how many people have had problems with there d60 breaking besides bad ujoints and poor maintnence. as for all the guys who's d60 cost more then your rig, u know it was worth it(if u use it).i know i sure enjoy seein a fullsize soaring through the air and bein able to drive it home maybe with some broken springs and hangers( hint: need more videos :thumb: ) but, atleast you put on a good show :saweet: :thumb: :waytogo: :pimp: . guess what im tryin to say is that those big bux sure are worth it. not tryin to make trouble. but, dam im jealous :1zhelp:

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I think for a front axle the 14 bolt is the most inferior axle of them all!!

If you put a stock $200 14 bolt in your front end you will have one of the most useless 4x4's in the world. That is where the price difference starts.

15. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Haha, I hope everyone gets your joke. Sounds like there may be some confusion here. :D

--Adam

16. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean.. it's pretty crazy.

I paid 1350 for my D60/14BFF combo. They both cam out of the same truck, and were in running condition when removed. The 14 had a Detroit locker, so minus the worth of the 14, and the DL, and that's what I paid for my D60F.

I have my eye on another one as well. My Fahter in laws buddy, who lives down the road has a 89-91 V3500 SRW that took a dump on him ( the motor). He wants to get rid of it, but isn't sure what it's worth. It's a beat farm truck. So, to keep from "taking advantage of him" .. I'm just letting him sit on it for now, since it's not advertised .. and will see what he wants for it later. If he sells it before I get a chance at it.. then so be it. I don't want to pay too much for it, and I don't want to lie and say it's not worth anything, and sell it to me for cheap. And, I could use a little time to build up some money from just spending a bunch.. so I'll just see what happens.

If I get it cheap enough, I may just re-sell it for more .. or sit on it for a while and see what I want to do with it. It would be nice to have around in the event I wanted another project.. or whatever.

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You do realize that D60's are subtantially more rare then 14bff's. I can go to any junkyard in Phoenix and pickup 15 14bff's in an hour. I would spend all day looking for a D60.

It is supply and demand. Alot of people want D60's because they four wheel hard and break D44 stuff. Since there are not alot of D60's available and they are saught after the price goes up.

Sure it sucks that D60's are expensive, but that's life.

Harley

18. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Due to the lack of hardcore wheelers in Wisconsin... haha... I may be able to find some good prices on both 14ff and D60s when I go to the yard this weekend... hopefully I'll find some good enough deals that I can justify the purchases with the wife...

19. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The thing I hate about the Dana 60's is the hidden costs...you pay a grand just to get one into your garage, then you will spend another grand getting it setup to work in your truck and running. And then after that initial investment you probably have death wobble. It almost seems better to buy mog axles and be ahead of the game for not much more money :grin: I'll probably just end up with a 60...someday...when I find a deal on one.

http://www.krazyk5.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2

20. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Are we going into overkill range then? I mean is a 60 really necessary for anything under a 39" tire? If it's a comp buggy or something then yes I can see the need. But for those of us running hobbiest type rigs (even if it does see pretty serious action), have we pushed ourselves into thinking we NEED a D60 front, thus driving the demand and prices up?

I almost agree with trcksR4me. I'm tempted to find a set of rockwells and go that route. Those should never break!!

Could you theoretically upgrade the components in your 44 and have nealy the same strength as a basically stock 60? Probably be a hell lot cheaper as well.