Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF is wrong with people?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Confedneck79K30, Mar 24, 2007.

?

Should The Woman Be Charged?

Poll closed Apr 8, 2007.
  1. Of course, she killed someone

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. NO, she saved an already dead hog

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Im nekkid and with a hog right now, leave me alone

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  1. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

before you read this, and get bent out of shape at me, GTF over it...
    this woman's lack of common sense is outrageous... I personally think she should face charges of some sort...
    what do you think?

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770323065

short story is, dead hog in road, instead of locking on the brakes and hoping you dont hit it, swerve INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC and kill someone... BULLSHAT I call...

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Stupid fo(ker....

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

It is a natural reaction to swerve when you are about to hit something. Sounds like an accident to me. Unfortunate for sure.

4. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Great poll.:surepal:

5. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Agreed :rolleyes:

6. Confedneck79K30

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    look i can do that too...
    :surepal: :surepal: :surepal::surepal:

it's a simple question, dont like it, dont read it... like i said at the beginning of the thread...

i asked an honest question, gave my HONEST opinion, if you can't handle that, i'm sorry for you...

7. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I don't have a problem with your opinion, just your poll. Don't post a topic if you don't want to discuss it.:wink1:

8. Confedneck79K30

im ready to discuss it, but like i said, i think that natural reaction would be to lock on the brakes and attempt to stop short... the parts of corkscrew i have traveled, there is plenty of room to go OFF the side of the road, about a 15-25' shoulder, i just cannot fathom why she wasnt charged with anything? maybe it's a law enforcement ideal that she didnt do anything wrong, although she DID kill someone?

9. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think maybe manslaughter.

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Were you there? Kind of hard to make the conclusion that she's a murderer without knowing exactly what the circumstances were. God forbid you should have jury duty any time soon. :doah:

11. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You do bring up an interesting point as to the responsibility of drivers to be aware of their surroundings.

It seems to me that if a driver were aware of their surroundings they would have known that there was oncoming traffic and that the lesser of the problems was to hit the hog.

I wasn't there, but from the information presented, I wouldn't have expected someone to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid an obstacle. Seems that maybe some charges would have been at least applied.

I'll be interested to see if Bubba has a thought on whether this was handled correctly or not.

On another note, she was driving irresponsibly if she could not 'stop in the assured clear distance ahead' and thus a ticket should have been issued?

We're only a short mental jump to this scenario:

Swerve in a neighborhood to miss a a dog. Run up on the sidewalk and hit children on their way to school. Should there be charges?

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

You have some good points there. Maybe Confedneck was a little too hot to articulate. :dunno: I don't know if a murder charge is in order.

13. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't know the laws well enough to really know what should be applied.

Seems to me that involuntary manslaughter would have been a fitting charge for the scenario presented.

(I failed as a driver to be aware of my surroundings and safely control my vehicle. Due to this, someone died.)=involuntary manslaughter in my mind.

Even if it were later overturned due to circumstances we don't know about.

Anyway, that's just my more than $.02.

14. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

it was an accident, its not like she ran a red light or something, she was trying to avoid a collision, but she made a poor choice swerving into an oncoming car, i would say revoke driving privledges. even if they do try her for manslaughter she will only go to a picnic prison in the woods or some crap for a couple weeks

15. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

If there is some outside factor...speeding, cell phone, etc, I'd be for charging her with something. If it was purely a bad split second decision, I think her injuries and guilt are punishment enough.

Just my opinion, I don't know what the law is.

16. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Sorry, in drivers ed, we were taught to hit something than to try to swerve to avoid. We have so many folks that would swerve to avoid hitting deer, end up upside down in the ditch and complain that their insurance wouldnt cover the damage. hard to prove why you were in the ditch if there isnt any dead deer around. Same thing applies here. HIT THE DAMN DOG/HOG/WHATEVER!! Involuntary manslaughter. Driver responsibility to be aware of the surroundings. My apologies for the harsh words, but accidents are caused by someone not being attentive or bad decisions based on ignorance/negligence (sp?).

17. Confedneck79K30

yer right, hope im not a jury any time soon, i missed my last call to jury duty...... im very objectionable and when i believe something, i believe it... i honestly think she should be charged with involuntary homicide or manslaughter, reckless driving resulting in death,etc...

no i was not there, but i know the road... and i cannot believe in my wildest imagination that were a dead animal in the road in front of me (especially a wild hog, which around here get to be 300+lbs) that should be able to be seen for a good distance (enough to stop), and would attempt to stop, or choose to hit it, instead of another car, coming towards me, say at a combined speed of 120mph or so... id take the 60mph speed bump, that with heavy braking could be a 15mph ramp... then id call authorities and tell them about it...

at the least she should be fined, ticketed, something, i was just appalled that they let this woman off scottfree...

18. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

The lady made a bad decision. Belive it or not we need a new catagory of punishable laws for idiots behind the wheel. You kill someone because your a poor driver you should be made to ride public transportation or some thing to that effect. If you have x amount of tickets, your picking up trash on the side of the freeway ect... The lady goes heads up with on coming traffic to avoid the lesser hazard, she should have to pass a mandatory skills test to be relicenced. As should all drivers involved in "at fault" stupid ass instances. I see so many people every day that depend on the skill of all the other drivers on the road that it's ridiculuos.

19. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't be driving faster than conditions allow for a safe speed, etc. Be aware of your surroundings at all times and always have an exit plan.

Nothing good can ever happen on a road called Corkscrew Rd.

20. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I investigate serious and fatal collisions and have done so for the last 10 years. Vehicular manslaughter requires a criminal act that results in a death. i.e. DUI, reckless driving, criminal speeding. You can be completely aware of your surroundings until the unexpected jumps out and bites you. Every second of the drive time, you are requiring a new exit plan. Human limitations vs extraordinary expectations. I don't think it is humanly possible.

Reckless driving requires a disregard for persons or property. Essentially knowingly driving with disregard for the safety of people or property. Swerving to avoid the hazard doesn't come close unless she was aware that other traffic was coming and didn't care.

I see a bad decision based on the news article but no criminal intent. The news rarely reports the facts as they occurred.

I would suspect that the roadway hazard (the hog) was significant in size. Its easy to say - "Drive over it" skid to stop, etc. but by not being there and making a literal split second decision complicates things. EDIT: ALso the driver's experience. 19 years old. Limited driving experience.

Corkscrew Road looks like a typical Florida roadway.