Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF??? Loose caliper??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Jan 29, 2005.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Today i was trying to get my rig finished and ran into a problem, my pass. side caliper is loose, meaning i can shake it with my hand and it wiggles ALOT, i have the wedge and curved plate in it, the drivers side is good, i put in different wedge, concave things to try and tighten it up but nothing worked, the calipers are new :what: :what: :what: :what: :what:

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

is the hardware new? Heard it said you should get new hardware each time you change calipers. Still don't get why this setup is better than bolt on calipers.

3. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

get new hardware it "should" fix it. Ive had the same problem it fixed it for me

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't forget the rubber grommet looking things. They're easily overlooked.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you have the bolt slider sleeves on it right ??

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

bolt slider sleeves? you ever deal with a 60? there are no bolts holding the caliper on.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It removes all the shear load from the caliper bolts.

Are you sure the spring things are not in upside down? They should be convex, not concave.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The retainer spring should only go in one way. If it fits both ways it is probably near flat and needs to be replaced.

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

yeah when I got my 60 the calipers shook alot, could only find the hardware at the stealership. But for 15 dolllars a spring :mad: and 10 dollars a freakin bolt (that holds the slider in) it completely took the play out of the caliper and is as good as new. That was a fun job, I completely took that 60 apart and rebuilt the whole damn thing with new bearings and seals, the works. Came out real nice and looks freakin awesome.

oh yeah and that slider spring needs to go in with the little tangs hanging over the slider. the spring should push upwards on the caliper.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

ANY parts store has these products, and I bet they have them in stock. They were used on Ford/Chevy/Dodge and even Lincoln Verseilles rearends. Bendix style brakes are NOT uncommon at all, there is no exuse for that.

When I worked at the parts store, I bought reman loaded calipers, with pads, ALL new hardware, grease, etc., for $32 a side.:grin:

11. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks everyone, I'll try some new hardware, guess i should of mentioned it was a 60 in the first post but hey im a dumbass:blush:

12. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

ok well lets see there, I spend many hours in many parts store and though bendix style calipers are extremely common, I even have them on my f-150, I could not find what I needed anywhere smart guy. you think I wanted to pay out of the ass for some parts I could have found for less than half the cost somewhere else? I looked everywhere, napa guys couldnt even seem to help me with that one.

13. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i found mine at my local autozone for less than $30 and thats both sides. so yeh i guess you could call me a smart guy too.

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

well f@ck, i was trying to help, i looked where I could. I cant help it if my parts guy are dumb asses, I tried everywhere. so next time i wont say **** besides i needed it then not when it was convenient for them to find it for me, dealership had it in stock, i dont need to justify what i do

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You just did, and poorly I might add.

16. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

ok Tim get over it. anyways sapper did ya get your caliper fixed or was that not even the problem?

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Oversized wedgies

If I remember right,they made oversized "wedges" to take up play between the caliper and its support---they are listed in the brake hardware catolog,bendix used to sell them...:crazy: