Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF?!?! Outrageous shipping quotes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Oct 15, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I won a pair of D60 caliper brackets on eBay and just got an e-mail back from the seller in Pennsylvania telling me the shipping for these will be $32.90!!! I was only expecting around $10 to $15 for the shipping! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Anybody else have this problem with high shipping costs?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That is pretty rediculous.
    I just ordered DeskTop Dyno from Summit (haven't gotten it yet). The program is $40. But, the ground shipping - for a freaking cd-rom - is $7.95. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I think that's a little rediculous also.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sound like he's making some money on the side. It might be fun to call a shipper in his area and get your own quote. Then tell that guy to go there..

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I won a cd on eBay...and the guy wanted $7 shipping from Los Angeles to Freakmont.. I told him **** you! You need /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I now ask the seller what the shipping costs will be before I place my bid. If it's too much I pass /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Go to UPS.com and get a quote, if it's less then tell the dude that you'll have UPS pick them up at his house, just pay UPS with a credit card. </font color>

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have seen people mark up shipping cost alot. If you have his zip code, go to the ups website and check charges yourself. You can call ups and have a call tag issued and pay ups for shipping and bounce him right out. When I had my UPS account, I would issue call tags all the time for stuff I bought. I'm sure I saved myself a couple hundred!! some people are just greedy!!

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

See if he will just send them collect--that why you know you are paying for shipping only. I would also check different shipping companies ie UPS, Fed-Ex and DHL. Just my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Try pricing it when you DONT have an account with them.
    I dont think the guy is trying to make money off of you, he might not have an account with them.
    If you have to use a "third party" for shipping, they charge you like 50% of what the shipping charges are.
    Good Luck!!!

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Not that I'm defending the dude, but it seems lately, shipping cost is way expensive. I just shipped a Tcase through UPS, (yes, UPS). I got a quote from them through their site for $67. When I went there to ship, it weighed exactly what I entered in for quote, but the price came out to $100 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!

Another one. Liftblocks. I think I got quoted like $10 or so to ship. Ended up being $20some to ship! Sheesh!!

Needless to say, I ate the rest of the shipping fees (like usual), but I don't trust the damn UPS rate quote anymore. I always get burned when I do...

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Big difference between UPS pricing and Mail Boxes Etc. - tell him to go direct to the UPS hub or do as suggested above and have them pick up the item on a call tag.

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wes, check the shipping for FedEx ground. That's what I used to ship you that 30 pound flywheel and it only cost around $9 to ship. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. HarryH3

Hey Heavy4x4, you have to check the fine print. Summit charges a $7.95 "handling fee" to ship anything. So if you order a $5 hat, it'll have a $7.95 shipping fee added to the price. But I've ordered over $500 worth of parts at one time and they still only charged the single $7.95 handling fee. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I just make sure that I order all the stuff I need at the time and get it all for one handling fee. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Shipping is getting expensive. I sent a D60 locker to NY and it cost almost $30 for the 4 hour trip.

15. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

another thing the fawkers on ebay do is raise the price of their "shipping costs" to like double what they will be.
    This way they make that much more money than what the item sold for. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I bought a snowboard off ebay for a good deal and then when i recieved it it cost like 1/3 of what the guy said the shipping costs were.

16. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Wes, I just bought the exact same stuff 2 weeks ago from Ebay. I bought 2 D60 caliper brackets for a friend from a (GREAT) seller named "rgfparts", he was in Maine and shipped them to me in Alabama for $15.00 freight on Fed Ex ground.

I agree with Shaggy, check on having the stuff picked up and cut the seller out of the freight altogether. If he gets mad it's because he was killing you on freight.

17. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Oops. Guess I didn't know that. That is actually kind of nice how they do that (in fact it helps them because it makes the customers want to buy more stuff at the same time)
    It all doesn't matter now though, because I'll be getting DeskTop Dyno today. Summit is always good about shipping quickly. Ordered on Monday, receive on Wednesday. I can't wait.

18. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Depends on where you go to ship. Most places charge a fee to ship for you. If you dont go to a UPS counter, your gonna pay more. Mail Box Ect. Charges a 20% fee to ship to UPS or Fed EX from them.

Fed Ex Ground is the cheapest thing going and Saturday is a NORMAL delivery day for their groud stuff.

Depdog

19. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I print out the quote and take it with me. Then when they try to tell me something different, I pull it out and say then why did your site give me this?? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifThey usually match it on the spot, no questions asked. If they don't I ask to speak to the supervisor. I usually get my way.

20. HarryH3

Next time you can be a smarter shopper! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif And like you, I've always had terrific service from Summit! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif