Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF.. Please help... I'm going crazy!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Sep 27, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Am I smoking an enormous crack rock, or did GM make a PITA oil sensor.... I'm trying to take off the idiot light sensor in favor of some aftermarket gauges.... I took off the little plug on the sensor (just to the right of the distributor) and put some aligator vice grips on the rubber base of the sensor and tried to unscrew it... I got it to budge little by little but It wasn't unscrewing....... then it hit me.............. I bet the whole sensor unit comes out... you know the 2 inch long metal rod that goes into the block just under the manifold.... well, it wouldn't budge one bit...

I know some of you have installed aftermarket mechanical gauges.... PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU GOT YOUR OIL SENSOR OFF... :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Whoever tells me how to do this will be my hero, and keep me from having a nervous breakdown from frustration... :doah:

2. 78Suburban

:bow: oh yeah, and since I've messed with it, it has developed a small oil leak :doah: I gotta get this thing fixed.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

First off Vice grips is NOT the way to do it. You'll end up scarring everything up and make it impossible to do it the right way. there should be a 9/16 or 5/8 nut built into the oil sending right above the threads on the sending unit. The fitting that you said wouldn't budge should screw out just like all the bolts on that thing. If you can't get enough torque on it use a cheater bar. Try tapping the block with a wrench or screwdriver around the fitting and spray some wd 40 on it. I used a 9/16 wrench on the square part of the fitting and it screwed right out.

Is there still a wire connected to it? the rubber base you described sounds like the wire connector. If so pull it off before you do anything.

4. 78Suburban

that's just it, I couldn't find a place to put a wrench on.... I guess I'll go and look again tomorrow.... the plastic/rubber thing is shaped like a dome and has a metal terminal coming off the top... the wire was plugged onto that terminal, and I unplugged it....... guess I need to climb over in there and take some pics.. :rolleyes:

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Ok...I'll try to explain this the best i can without pics... bear with me.

think of where the wire plugs in as the top of the unit. then as you go down right where the sending unit meets the threads that screw into the fitting there should be a nut right where the unit and threads meet. Its 9/16 IIRC.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

They're not fun, I've broken two of 'em off.

7. Buckshot62

Buckshot62 Newbie

iirc some of the old ones didn't have wrench flats.I acquired a socket made to remove/install them many years ago.If you would like i can see if there is a name on it or take a pic for you :D

8. 78Suburban

yes, please find out what socket takes this one off, because there is no where to put a conventional wrench....... and I've already started a leak...

Where exactly is my mechanical gauge fitting going to screw into, the metal rod that sticks up? or the block, below and behind the manifold???

9. mikey_d05

there should be special little grooves in the body to slip a socket onto as previously mentioned but when I did my first one I couldn't get one of 'em in town so I just used a big socket that fit on the flats of that ring. I don't remember what size it was however.

10. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

well, the sender might have to go into the block, I dont think that extension piece is deep enough to let the sender seat. Be careful, because when I tried to get the old sender out, I broke the extender. Theyre pretty fragile when theyre old. You can still get them through the dealer. I was going to make one out of brass fittings from NAPA, but I decided with the factory, 1 piece design. I have a guage, but the ideas the same.

Dirtwarrior I think is trying to describe the oil switch, which is right above the oil filter. That is the switch for the fuel pump.

I was able to get mine off pretty easially once I broke the extension :crazy: . I tried many ways to get it to work, I ended up taking it to Sears and matching the flat spots on that metal piece to a big wrench. Unfortunately I forget the size right now. Im gonna guess 1 1/16. I do have the special socket, but I dont think I ever used it yet, so coudnt tell you if they were the right size. Lisle made it im pretty sure. I can take any pictures or measurements you want, but Im not gonna be at the truck till Friday morning. Good luck.

11. 78Suburban

I swear, I wish I had never messed with the thing and started it leaking, the idiot light wasn't that bad....

I am so very confused....... so my new gauge fitting is going to screw into the extension, or the block? if it screws into the block, that's going to be really, really hard to do.......

12. 78Suburban

ttt

I see where the wrench is supposed to fit.... so the whole thing is supposed to come off I guess.... I think it's right in between 1" and 1 1/16".....

ANY IDEAS HOW TO GET THIS THING OFF??????

do I need to take of my distributor for better access?

13. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

OK, well, i remembered it wasnt 1 1/16, its metric. 22mm maybe?? I cant remember cause I dont have my tools here. To get at the sender, I threw a piece of carpet over the block, and layed right across the engine. Thats really the only way to get to it.

The sender for your aftermarket guage is probably has a deep reach. If it doesnt, then yeah, if the threads match, use it. It doesnt matter how it gets the pressure to it.

If your haveing trouble getting the sensor off, you probably wouldnt want to pull the distributor, thats a whole 'nother potential can of worms. Just pull the cap off, dont take the wires off.

Let me know what you see...

14. mikey_d05

I pulled the cap on my dizzy and had enough room to get enough leverage to break it in half. :crazy:

I always did it perching myself in the engine comparment, like actually sitting in it.