Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF? Security Light?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by Confedneck, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

howdy all, and happy morning.. my mom has a 99 s-blazer, 4 door 2wd.. this morning it wouldnt start and the security light was flashing, not real fast, just steady.. so i pop the fuse cover and pull the fuse that says "SIR" thinking its security something relay... it fired right up after i put that fuse back in.. anyone have any ideas, ever had this problem before??

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, isn't the SIR circuit for the airbags? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Confedneck

nah, the airbags are SRS, supplemental restraint systems.. i dont know, but that did the trick.. its at the dealership right now...

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Read the owners manual. My 2003 Impalas manual says that if key is in run position but not running that it is normal for the security light to come on . It is just a P.O.S.T or power on self test. You'll only need be alarned if it comes on when driving. I am sure a 99 Blazer would be the same case /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    As for starting right up it was a coincidence or just something loose under hood you moved by accident.

5. Confedneck

no thats not it.. this was actually a problem.. the security light wasnt flashing to prove out, there was a hard fault.. anyways we got it back, it got a new ignition case and tranceiver for the security system..

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well I am glad its fixed for you. I hope it was under warranty, dealers are expensive. I hate these newer obdII computer vehicles. I only have a new car for wife, she's never even started a carbed vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Confedneck

yeah, extended warranty covered every cent of it.. otherwise i would have bypassed it with a resistor.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif