Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF!! (Starter Problems)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72BlazerTravis, Jan 4, 2003.

1. 72BlazerTravis

72BlazerTravis Registered Member

Got my new starter and went out to put it in today, damn thing absolutely refused to line up!! The top bolt would NOT go in. So finally I manhandled the thing in there AFTER 5 HOURS and cranked it over. It sounded really wierd but it started the Blazer. So then I shut it off, started it again (or tried) BZZZZZZZZZZZZ thats all it does now, it will not crank the engine and acts like the starter teeth aren't even touching the flywheel. What the hell I wasted away the whole day on this thing and it won't even work??? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. TED

TED Registered Member

I think the correct starters for our Blazers have a cast iron nose cone. The ones for newer 350's use an aluminum nose cone. I bought the kind with the iron nose cone and haven't had a problem since. Almost sounds like you have the wrong starter if the bolts were that tough to line up. When it did work the time you started it, did it sound like a bad grinding noise? The teeth may have been barely contacting each other and the starter could have shifted just enough that they are no longer engaging. That would cause that buzzing sound that you talked about. I ended up going under mine with a flashlight and having a friend turn it over so I could watch the teeth engage. Just make SURE that you have it in neutral! Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    His profile says he has a 305. I don't have any experience with a 305 but could it be the starters don't interchange and somebody sold him the wrong one??

Another suggestion would be to find a shop to rebuild the starter you took off. Probably be better than a rebuild from a warehouse. Then in all the spare time we all have find another one at a junkyard and have it built and you will have a spare.

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Did you shim the starter. ??? There should have been some thin pieces of metal that came with it, usually one or two. If the teeth are engaging too deep or too shallow you will have problems. Sounds like a shimming problem to me.

John

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Also, not be rude but please edit you post, you accidently used a couple of inappropriate words on there.. Thanks.

John

PS. I use the same words when I am under the truck too.. LOL

6. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

On my 71 c10, when I bought a new starter, they sold me the wrong one. The part number on the box was right, and it was brand new. There were minor differences between the housings, but everthing lined up right. I was able to start the truck 4 or 5 times, and then the teeth would grind. I'd drop it, bolt it back up, and be able to get another 4 or 5 starts. After I ate up the flywheel, I went back to the parts store with it and when they pulled another one, low and behold, it was exactly like my old one. This one works fine. I have been using it since 1997. This happened to me at Autozone, I'm not sure what comapny remanufactured it though.

7. 72BlazerTravis

I pulled it back off and noticed that the little round washer deal that hold the keeper in place came off. My Dad is going to help me with it tomorrow. The part number of this starter is a match for the one I took off and yes it has a cast iron nose cone. I think the reason it wasn't lining up well is cause this engine has headers on it and it's kind of in the way. Hard to get it lined up when you haven't got any room towards the passengewr side of the engine because of the header. I'll deal with it tomorrow. if not I'm going to junk it. Well maybe not, I'll wait and do that when I price a new clutch. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

I've got a 350 in a '71 Jimmy with manual transmission and Heddman Hedders. I have to remove the pass side header to R&R the starter. Also there is no room for a mr. gasket type starter heat shield. I get the lifetime starter from checker auto but replace the (mexican) solenoid they supply with an Accel solenoid from the hot rod shop. Had no problems since. But it is a big PIA! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the starter bolys are 3/16 inch wider on a 350. found out when i wentto a 350 from a 307. same deal for a 305 but starters arent to expensive atleast.

just my .o2 nathan

10. 72BlazerTravis

Okay get this crap. I redid all the starter crap today, starter with banging in the header a bit on that side for clearance with two mechanics both who have had 20 years at least experience. The top starter bolt was too long for one thing and the bare part of the bolt (where there are no threads) was going into a the stupid starter hole. We got a different bolt that was shorter, problem fixed. Well it fired it up on the first try, second try, same thing, it wasn't engaging the flywheel and it would just spin. So we manually turned the flywheel a little and tested it with a push button starter setup to test it, it was engaging the flywheel. POP! After about 4 tries it broke off the little round thing that holds that keeper in place, broke it right off. Now the starter works fine and it's broke!! Man this is really getting on my nerves. I'll probably end up having to get a whole new clutch housing for it with fresh bolt holes for the starter bolts to go in. What a wierd day. Broken starter but it starts it everytime now. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. FirstGenBlazer

FirstGenBlazer Registered Member

I had to get a new started a long time ago so I got it from checker (simply because they have the lifetime warranty) and I had nothing but problems. I replaced it the first time and it would work for a month or so, then the grinding. I replaced it again and again it only lasted about a month. This time I got another one from checker and had it installed (just so I knew it wasn't me screwing something up) and guess what, it does the same thing in about a month. I have replaced it twice since then (the checker auto parts guys were really starting to give me funny looks after the forth starter). As far as I know it works now but I havn't started her in a long time (waiting on restoration). I still dont know what the heck the problem is. I should just invest in a descent starter I guess. After that many installs I can get a new starter bolted up in less than 20 minutes (if I'm going slow). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif