Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF...Truck overheating when it is 10 degrees outside?1?!?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Feb 7, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Okay, I woke up this morning at my girlfriends and went outside to start my trcuk...I let it warm up for a good 10 min then got in and headed to my house...Even by the time I got to my house, there was no heat, which is really unusual for my rig...it usually heats up pretty quick...So I drove it around the neighbourhood a bit to get a littlie heat in her...Well just as I was passing my house for the third time, I could smell the oh-so-sweet smell of coolant...I pulled into my driveway and poped the hood as steam billowed out and and water puked out of the coolant resivour....Now what is the deal? I had NO heat in the truck but the coolant in the Rad was hot enough to overflow the resivour? Did my coolant like freeze in the engine last night or something...whats the deal gang...I am gonna pick up a new rad cap., coolant and t-state today at work...Oh and there was enough pressure in the colling system to make coolant pukle from the intake manifold at the junction witht he cyl. head...Possible a stuck t-stat?? Lemme know gang...I really appreciate you help...

Chris

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Your radiator is probably frozen. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Sounds like you don't have enough antifreeze in the coolant. You'll need to get the radiator warmed up, then drain out some of the coolant and then replace it with straight antifreeze. Then use a coolant tester to see what temp you're protected to. Any parts store will have the Prestone coolant tester. I have all my junk setup to withstand at least -34 degrees F.

3. rodriscoll

rodriscoll Registered Member

Yes I would say definetly stuck thermostat no heat and overheating are a sure sign

4. HarryH3

When you first started it, all of the coolant was most likely frozen. But the engine heat thawed out the coolant in the block. But with the coolant in the radiator still frozen, the coolant can't circulate to transfer its heat to the radiator. It eventually will thaw out the upper radiator hose and then force the coolant out of the overflow tube because the coolant in the engine is HOT!

I'll bet your low temp last night was way below 10 degrees. I'm at least 100 miles south of you and the low here was 2 below zero last night. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

Yup, i'd say your radiator, also check to see if the clutch on your fan.. before you start it up in the morning try to turn the fan with your hand(engine off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) if it's hard to turn your cluch is o.k. and it "sucks" but if the fan's easy to turn then your fan clutch is bad and that's your problem.. the fan's not sucking air through the radiator so it's not cooling the water/coolant.. that's what happened to my car and when i took the radiator cap off the water would look like a Geizer and shoot coolant like 5 feet in the air, it sucked but i bet it was a good show for the passers-by ... good luck.

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I've seen cars freeze the radiator driving down the road. Lived by the top of I80 over Donner Summitt. Flatlanders would come up from Sacto etc. and not have enought antifreeze in the system. The radiator would freeze up while they're driving down the road. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

If the fan is hard to turn when the motor is cold then the clutch is bad. The reason for the clutch is that when you fire up the motor and the water inside is cold you don't want to pull tons of air thru the radiator. As the motor warms up the fan pulls harder to keep it cool. That's the way I understand it anyways.

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

That happened with my Crew Cab last winter when it got cold here. My friend that works at a radiator shop told me that usually the coolant in the heater core freezes, so theres no heat in the cab (just cold air) and theres not very good circulation of coolant.

My radiator was fine. He suggested putting a heater in the cab to thaw out the heater core. I just waited until it got warmer out to drive it, drained some coolant then added more antifreeze.

9. fortcollinsram

I think harry got it.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just replaced the t-stat, cap, and coolant and she is good to go...Thanks for the help gang...

Chris

10. HarryH3

Didja spend $3 for the coolant tester? I use mine every fall to check all my rigs. It's much less hassle than swapping an engine because of a cracked block. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It's got a rubber bulb that pulls some coolant up into the tester, then a needle swings up to indicate what temp you're protected to. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It's easier than falling off a log and takes the guesswork out of mixing the coolant. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Picked mine up at Walmart. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. fortcollinsram

lmao...I had to dish out all of $1.89 (that is with my discount /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) at Napa...Should've used one in the first place, then again, hindsight is 20/20 Thanks for you help Harry...

Later
    Chris