Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF?!?! Warn Lock Out snap ring....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Sep 1, 2004.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

WTF is this thing? Never seen one before...is it normal? Its the retaining snap ring that goes in the end of the bearing hub to hold the manual lockout in.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/171149953/181149663wXgUdj
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/171149953/181149694SXuAsH
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/171149953/181149727yyUTNv

what the hell happened the regular snap ring? These things are a pain in the ass to get out! I ended up ruining one of them getting it out. Anyone else have this type?
    I assume I can just get the 'normal' snap ring and replace these?

Anyone know where I can get a pair. I really dont wanna buy a whole set of hubs just to get the snap rings /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone know where I can get a pair. I really dont wanna buy a whole set of hubs just to get the snap rings

[/ QUOTE ]

I just threw a pair in the scrap last weekend /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

i can't tell ya where to get some...but get ya a set that are for the Superwinch locks...much more user friendly!!!! you could always use a coat hanger and bend to match the diameter and cut a little extra for the spring to keep it in the hub...the ones that come w/ the superwinch are about the same size in diameter as a coat hanger...

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Try a local OSH if you have one down south.
    Somewhere by there nuts and bolt section should be an area that has things like funiture clips and wheels and cottar pis, Well they also have Automotive snap rings that size too.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I looked in lowe's last night, but they dont have anything that big. I have no clue where an OSH is around here, which means its probably too far /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

what hub? 60 or 44/10bolt? i have one of the originals if you need it for a 10 bolt/44.

if you have the originals just use those.

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

If all else fails I believe you can get a "service kit" from Warn with the snap rings, screws and o-ring - don't know how much though. If you can't find any let me know, I've got a parts box that may have a couple of the regular ones in it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Have you dealt with or seen the ones in the pictures before? who's genius idea was it to use those things? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've seen them on 1/2 & 3/4 ton hubs, they're a real PITA!

I found the service kit, Warn part # 11714 (this kit is listed for part #11690, D60 standard locking hubs). I believe this should have the regular big snap ring but you'd better ask just to be sure.

10. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've seen that ring before the groove that it sits in on mine wore down, and it won't stay on. It hold the actual locking gear into the hub right. I don't have it on one of my hubs and they still work the same /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Napa won't warranty my hubs cause I lost my receipt /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hard to get out? I don't know what to say, but my Warn 35 spline slugs have those and I couldn't be happier. Requires nothing but a small flat blade screw driver or pick to pop them right out. Stick the tip of the screw driver or pick under the little "toe" on the end of the coil, raise it up out of the groove, lever the tool up and behind the coil to get it started coming out, and slide the tool around the hub to walk the rest out. Takes all of about 3 seconds to remove without needing special lock ring pliers or fighting those heavy ass single round (as opposed to coiled) clips that you have to fight with multiple screw drivers and/or needle nose. Not that the old ones were really difficult (more frustrating than anything), but I *LOVE* these new Warn rings...

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hard to get out? I don't know what to say, but my Warn 35 spline slugs have those and I couldn't be happier. Requires nothing but a small flat blade screw driver or pick to pop them right out. Stick the tip of the screw driver or pick under the little "toe" on the end of the coil, raise it up out of the groove, lever the tool up and behind the coil to get it started coming out, and slide the tool around the hub to walk the rest out. Takes all of about 3 seconds to remove without needing special lock ring pliers or fighting those heavy ass single round (as opposed to coiled) clips that you have to fight with multiple screw drivers and/or needle nose. Not that the old ones were really difficult (more frustrating than anything), but I *LOVE* these new Warn rings...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

13. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Holy crap, you like them? I did as you described and man I had a hell of a time /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I am a mechanical idiot, but those Warn hubs were a breeze to install. A pick, some snap-ring pliers and a screwdriver, with three swearwords and and a stubbed toe (don't ask) those things went in quick. Very user friendly to me.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If all else fails I believe you can get a "service kit" from Warn with the snap rings, screws and o-ring - don't know how much though. If you can't find any let me know, I've got a parts box that may have a couple of the regular ones in it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I destroyed one of those rings and had to spend the $25 to get the kit. Definitely pissed me off.

Tim's Offroad can get the kits for ya if you need them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

For once I disagree with you, Russ. I can't stand those stupid snap rings. I always have to fight to get them to go back on.

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

On? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif That's even easier. I use my bare hands. Just sort of peel out one end, start it in the groove, and work it around the coil as you feed it into the groove. Maybe it's just one of those things that if you don't spot the "knack" right off, and nobody shows you, then you just have a hard time. Take a good look at them and I think you will see that there is a VERY easy way to get them off and on, but it's nothing like the "normal" type lock rings. Seriously, give me nothing but a pick or small screwdriver and I can have it off AND back on in well under 10 seconds with no damage, busted knuckles, or even a swear word... <shrug>

17. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have those on my 60 hubs. pain in the dick to work with but will not come loose

18. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I have to agree Russ, I dont see what the problem is. Put your screwdriver under one end and take it on around to pop it out. Just feed one end on around to put it back in.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    On? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif That's even easier. I use my bare hands. Just sort of peel out one end, start it in the groove, and work it around the coil as you feed it into the groove. Maybe it's just one of those things that if you don't spot the "knack" right off, and nobody shows you, then you just have a hard time. Take a good look at them and I think you will see that there is a VERY easy way to get them off and on, but it's nothing like the "normal" type lock rings. Seriously, give me nothing but a pick or small screwdriver and I can have it off AND back on in well under 10 seconds with no damage, busted knuckles, or even a swear word... <shrug>

[/ QUOTE ]

With the old ones, I just bent the tip up, and I could get a screwdriver behind them and they came right out.

These I have to "work it" a bit to get them out.

I've kinda got a trick to get these out now so I don't destroy them anymore.

Usually on the re-install it's that last little bit that doesn't want to walk into the groove like it should.

20. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I dunno...it was like there was NO room to get a screw driver in there...i could barely get a pick in there. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Oh well... /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif