Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTF

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaun, Jun 8, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

So we bought this chev y from a farmer and it seems to be changed. My friend has some questions about it so I will post it on here to insure I dont lead him in the wrong direction

"I just started tearing my 1971 K10 project apart. I opened the rear diff to start cleaning it up and found it wasn't opened, but had a posi or locker of some kind. We started looking closer and found the axle perches are 2" wide (from a car?) instead of 2 1/2" and have some really bad welds on them as well as the shock mounts. But what I really need help with is the gears in the rear, a 12 bolt, but the gears are stamped with a 3/83 manufacture date. So if anyone can help...PLEASE?!?!? Oh yeah the whole gear stamp if anyone can decode it: 1 GM 339635 11 41 3 83. I'll post pictures of the posi lookin thing when I get to work tomarrow. "

The questions we have are

Do they stamp replacement gears with thier production date?

Would there be a factory posi with replacement gears in 83 (the gears have a GM stamp on them so we know they are GM but 12 bolts stopped in 81)

Are cars rearends the same width as trucks?

What dumba$$ would weld 2 inch wide perches on when the springs are 2.5 inches long?

I think those are it thanks for the help.

-Shaun

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no 12 bolt in 83 car or truck, 12 bolt were gone by end of 82, and started in 64

does this "posi" have clutch plates and springs both ?

and 2" wide perches with bad welds sounds like home made perches and welding

you should get pics of all this, you sure its not 10 bolt cover and 8.5" axle from a car or trailing arm and coils 2wd gm truck 64-72 years ? what is width from backing plate to backing plate ? about 55.5" ? most full size rear wheeld rive cars did have extremely close same axle widths as the trucks, but totally different axles cept the 8.5" 10 b olt, and the s-10's 7.5" 10 bolts. both shared carriers and gears and parts with car versions, car and truyck 12 bolts totally differend cept for ring gear diameter, no parts interchange they dotn evne lok like the same axle at all

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

HAHA I answered this in the other forum. If the posi has 1 small window and 1 big window on the other side then its a car, if it has 1 big window and onthe other side another big window, its a truck.

4. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

We figured it out it is a gov locked 12 bolt. Must have bought new gears from gm in 83