Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTO PS Pump mod??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Boss, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Anyone do the WTO mod to their power steering pump?
    WTO Mod

I purchased a stock PS pump from Autozone a while back and removed the main fitting and drilled it out and notched it (as described in the link above).

But I did not see a flow piston or piston spring come out.
    Is my pump missing this? I stuck a magnet in the pump and nothing.. I don't think our pumps have this, but just wanted to make sure.

Also, for those that done this, notice any difference in steering?

Boss

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

the spring is there. I have seen it done but personally I think the mods to the fitting itself are the only mod you need with that new pump. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Boss

Thanks man, that was the only mod I was planning on doing to the pump anyhow.

Well, mine definately did not have the spring or the flow piston in there.
    I'll probably just take my old on apart, when I remove it, and see if it does and if so, swap it over. I kinda remember it having it last time I took it apart...(years ago)...
    Damn Autozone rebuilds!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Not sure about your new pump, but I've done several and they are all like shown on the WTO site. All I modify is the flow rate (drill and slot). Never had a problem with needing more pressure...

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The piston is probably just stuck in the bore, happens... If you look in there you will see the flat head of the pistion. You may have to crank the engine over to get it to pop out. Or if it's on the bench just work and work with it till you get it out... Oh yeah, autozone pumps or horrible... Went through 1 every 2-3 weeks with my hydro assist when doing the wto mods to them. I went through something like 27 pumps in 6 months...

6. Boss

LOL....thanks for that info...I hate swapping PS pumps. Done enough of that a few years ago.
    You're right, I did see the flat head of it, so I guess it is stuck in there.

What pump brand do you recommend?

7. willyswanter

I had pretty decent luck with pumps from Kragen... But by far the best has been the KRC racing pump, awesome flow and pressure but requires extensive mods to mount and plumb. One of the best things you can do is add a huge cooler, I'm running a 12x10 cooler with a fan on it. Make the pumps last way longer.

8. Boss

Thanks for the recommendation.

I do run a huge Tranny cooler as my PS pump. Been doing that for a while now. I also run a remote reservoir for the pump as well. And ran Synthetic PS fluid (Redline).

But still, after a few years, it croaked anyhow.
    btw, the current pump I'm swapping out is an AGR unit.

9. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Willyswanter,
    Are you having better luck keeping the high flow pump alive? I have gone through 4 pumps in the last few months with a 2" ram on my hydro assist amd am looking for something that will last longer. A couple of them were rebuilds and one was a brand new stock pump, but even it whines really bad at about 2200 rpm.
    I did the flow mods and installed a remote reservoir to try and keep enough volume and am also running a cooler, but I just can't seem to keep a pump working very long.

Russ

10. willyswanter

Don't know yet, truck hasn't left the driveway since I've put it on but seems to be lasting good so far /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'll report back as soon as I get some miles on it.