Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTO......PS Pump mods....!!!??? !!NEW!! w/ PICS....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

OK, I'm covered in grease, and typing this.....trying to figure out what size drill bit to chuck-up in my drillpress.

I'm doing the PS Pump mods that are on Matt's website:

web page

It talks about drilling an oversize hole in the "main fitting"....it says to drill it 1/16" to 1/8" larger....and then says:

"Typically it's around 5/32"

Does this mean that the resulting hole (the one you are drilling oversize) is 5/32" or that before you even START the mods, the hole is 5/32"? I am checking mine and it's definitely NOT 5/32" already....so I'm thinking maybe the 5/32" is the drill bit size I'm supposed to use for the mod???

Anyone got a definitive answer on this one?....or Matt's home phone #??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

PS. The install of the actual ram is coming out BITCHIN' (up high and behind the high-steer, it's almost invisible) and it should be FAR out of harms way on the trails. I'll post pics once it's all completed.

Progress so far......Tie rod clamp and tabs:
    [​IMG]

My design for an upper spring plate bracket:
    [​IMG]

Shot of the bracket installed. Uses one u-bolt nut and the old unused swaybar hole to mount:
    [​IMG]

A shot of the ram in position....no lines attached yet:
    [​IMG]

....that is all for now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Re: WTO - Matt or anyone who\'s done it......PS Pump mods....!!!???

Greg, I think 5/32" is the size of the fittings BEFORE you mod it. Measure it just to be sure then add another 1/16" - 1/8" to that measurement to mod the pump for higher volume.

3. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    Greg, I think 5/32" is the size of the fittings BEFORE you mod it. Measure it just to be sure then add another 1/16" - 1/8" to that measurement to mod the pump for higher volume.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what the deal is..... a 1/8" drill bit is loose when I feed it into the existing hole (.125") and the next size bit (9/64" = .140") won't go in at all. So my current hole size is somewhere between those two values (~ .133"?) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway, the 5/32" number is .156" adding another 1/8" is like .281" (over 1/4"?!) I dunno, I just don't want to ruin the fitting by misinterpreting the instructions!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

5/32" is the maximum hole size you want to drill. I talked to Matt over the phone about this. He origionally didn't have it on his site so I started drilling and ended up way to big and called him up and since then he put it on his site /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Anyway, start slowly... I would go about 1/16" bigger at a time on the hole. Mine was very small but I screwed up 3 fittings going too far, if you go too far you loose pressure. I ended up under the 5/32" at the best performance.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

1/4" total is WAY too far. I don't rememer the size I wound up with on mine, but I stuck drill bits in untill I found one that barely fit. Went up about 1/32 or so, maybe 3/64, don't remember. I still don't have enough flow but haven't been back in to try again. I hate the mess...

6. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Greg don't go larger than 5/32. we have done a few that went up to 11/64 before they had problems but the 5/32 drill size works the best for all the ones we do.
    Also don't forget to pull all the stock shims out of your piston. If your running Hydro assist then you don't want to add any shims under the spring. Just take out all the ones that come stock. All this will do is take it to the factory maximum pressure.

7. Greg72

Thanks Matt! (and everyone else too) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's a little too late to do anything more today, but I'm glad I waited for the answer..........

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Sorry to ask a differnt question on your post, but does it do any good to drill it out if you dont have assist yet?? Is there any way to get a little more out of the pump. With my x-over i cant turn the tires at all with out moving. THats with a brand new pump and newer box...

9. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

NO you don't need to drill it if you don't have hydro assist. JUst pull all the shims out of the bypass piston and try that. If it's still not enought you can go in and shim under the spring inside the bypass piston but try it with out the stock shims first It will make a difference fo you.
    If you are confused on what i'm talking about go to my web site and look under the tech articles.

www.westtexasoffroad.com

10. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

thanks. Ill give it a try

11. Greg72

ttt

Added a couple of progress pics for anyone interested.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Did you end up getting that clamp from McMaster? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

13. Greg72

Yes.....but unfortunately for me the part number I so carefully collected from you was for a 1.5" tie rod......fine for a Rockstomper one, but exactly 1/4" too large for the ORD tie rod I actually own!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

So I got to buy TWO overpriced clamps instead of just one..... oh, well. If anyone needs the 1.5" style, let me know....I'd rather sell it to someone cheap than deal with shipping it back to McMaster at my own expense!!!

Live and learn.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> D'oh! I guess I should have specified what size my tie rod was. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Oh well, as overpriced as it was it's still a way better deal than the one from MOO. Same price, much better clamp. </font>

15. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If my TR is 1.5 I'll buy it!!!

16. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Man, Not to bash or anything, But I have got to get down there one day and give you some welding lessons.. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    Looks like you are very close- I think it would take very little to get your welds lookin perfect...(Iknow, my camera sucks A$$)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice fab work on that bracket by the way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Greg72

Joe,

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifFINE/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif ......I'm game. Come on down and give me some welding lessons and in exchange, I'll give you my older digital camera. (one of the older Sony Mavica floppy ones). I've got a guest room for you to stay in, a pool to swim in....and I'm told that my skills on the BBQ are better than my skills with a MIG!!!

How's that for an offer you can't refuse? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

ps ..... I can only imagine how irritating it must be to see other people "butchering" the skill you perform so flawlessly. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmmm...

[ QUOTE ]
    ps ..... I can only imagine how irritating it must be....

[/ QUOTE ]

Not like that at all...I hope you didn't take my comments as being arrogant and cocky. Not irritating one bit dude, It's what I like to do, what I'm good at, and I like to see other people able to do the same. "Butchering"? Far from it. You've got the function part down, form is next. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    skill you perform so flawlessly

[/ QUOTE ]
    Do I detect a hint of sarcasm here? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I hope I don't come off that way...I'm way far from being flawless dude. haha, If I was, I sure as hell wouldn't be working were I do now. And my truck wouldn't be on it's 7th month of down time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yeah, I need to give you the Springer Kit, Joe. So hurry up and come down to visit!

20. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm here? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I hope I don't come off that way...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all good, I just want my lessons! Just picked up another 80 Lb refill of Ar/Co2, some wire cleaning pads/solution, and a buttload of new consumables for the Hypertherm......

I'm ready to learn! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif