Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTO - Ram Assist......installed but not very "assisty" yet???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

WTO - Ram Assist......installed but not very \"assisty\" yet???

OK guys (and Matt if you're logged in!),

I installed the entire WTO ram system and made some mods to the power steering pump. Got the whole system bled (as far as I can tell) but I'm not getting much "assist" yet. I can't turn the wheel with one-finger or anything like that, and even when driving at higher speeds I don't detect that it's doing much..... I started off with very small PS Pump changes so I wouldn't overdo anything, so let me tell you what's been done so far and maybe somebody can suggest the next step???:

Step 1: Main Fitting - WTO instructions call for this to be drilled up to 5/32" (.156") to increase low-rpm flow. My existing fitting was a little over 1/8" diameter (.125"+) so I didn't want to go all the way to 5/32" right away. I used the only intermediate size drill bit I have... 9/64" (.140") Maybe this was not a dramatic enough change from the original bore size?

Step #2: Flow Piston - The flow piston on my pump had two shims in the assembly, a thin one, and a thick one. The combined thickness was .066" and I removed them both as per the instructions. I did NOT modify the screw in the assembly figuring that the factory would have provided adequate clearance for a zero-shim setup, and it shouldn't be bottoming out yet.

The second step on the flow piston is to cut the "slot" into the end of the part. However, when I called WTO they said not to do it that way...simply open-up the existing hole to 5/32" (.156") which I did.... I did NOT drill all the way through the piston and create TWO holes in the end of the part, as I don't think that was what I was told.

SO.....that's where I'm at now. Any suggestions about which part I should go back and modify MORE? As I mentioned to Matt, I am looking for a very "streetable" ram-assist here. I don't want it to add LOADS of assist and make my steering all sluggish on the street, so please keep that in mind when making your comments.

Thanks All!!! It's Saturday Night on CK5, so I'm expecting lots of views and comments on this post!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: WTO - Ram Assist......installed but not very \"assisty\" yet???

Well as you know I spent over 3 months getting mine to work right and in the end it was a bad pump to start with... You may want to check with that first. My pump worked fine with just the box but with the ram it pooped out.

Next, once I got a good pump, I only drilled the fitting out and thats all and I have loads of steering power. I drilled my fitting the first time and did the slot in the end and the shim under the spring in the piston, this was too much and I actually lost power.

Depending on what Matt suggests, I would get a new fitting and put it in stock and see what happens...

Like I said, I spent 3 months chasing this around and it ended up being a bad pump.

3. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I spent 3 months chasing this around and it ended up being a bad pump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then.... if I have to, I will declare today as "Day 1 of 90"!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. willyswanter

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'll be arranging a support group on tuesday nights /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'll be arranging a support group on tuesday nights /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

See you there.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Well, maybe to see how good the assist really works, try pulling up next to a curb and turn your wheel into the curb from a dead stop and see if you can turn /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. willyswanter

Well the real test is the "Rod" or "Savage" test. You start the truck, get out, reach through the wheel well and if you can turn the tires easily by just turning the steerin shaft with your hand, it's working good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

When I could finally do that, I knew I got it working well. Before I got a good pump, I couldn't turn the tires while sitting still at all, and the steering was real slow. But now it keeps up with me and I can steer whenever, wherever. At Blazer Fest I was actually completetly crossed up and tried to steer and the ram actually bent the tie rod trying to make the tire turn which was pushed into a mountain turn /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Hmmm...interesting... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'll have to try that out and see what happens.