Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WTO Ram installation.....valid mounting points on axle???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Spent a few minutes tonight looking at possible ways to attach the ram to my D60, and wanted to bounce a few ideas of the group. There are a few spots that could be utilized, but I don't fully understand the forces imparted by this ram. BTW -> This is going into a high-steer setup, so I'm trying to get the ram directly BEHIND and parallel to the tierod and draglink.

For example:

U-Bolt - A longer u-bolt on the driver's side would provide a nice simple way to mount the rod end....just slip it over and secure with a second nut on top! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But is a single-shear connection like that going to be strong enough to steer without bending/shearing off the u-bolt??

Sway bar holes in upper plates - It's a nice blind hole that's not doing anything (thanks to x-over steering) but might make for a decent place to bolt a small bracket to secure the ram....seems stronger than the u-bolt location, but a little fabrication work.

Conventional "top of the D60 Pumpkin" spot - I've seen this a number of times, and I suppose it will work fine, but I don't have a rock ring, so the bracket would have to be made from scratch....

Any ideas, or obvious "no no's" based on what I've described so far????

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've got pics of the steering setup in my gallery, that might help you to "visualize" what I'm describing and potentially give additional ideas..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

What is the O.D. of the 60? Cut off a peice of pipe/tubing to that I.D. and in turn cut the pipe/tube in 1/3rd, from either end, weld an eye to accept the cylinder, and then weld the pipe/tubing to the axle, wherever it fit's good, and is clear.

I don't think a u-bolt is gonna be stout enough.

3. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    I dont fully understnd the forces that these rams put out but I do seem to have a problem with mounting it on any u-bolt or any part that attaches the axle to the spring. I just think that it could work the u-bolt loose or could cause unnecessary force on the u-bolts. That being said I do remember hearing that attaching it to the rock ring (although you dont have one) cause the bolts holding it on to work loose. I dont think this could be the case on u-bolts but I sure wouldn't want to find out. I personally like the "shark fin" style tab welded to the top of the diff mayself. I dunno Greg just some late night thoughts. Later
    -fLeXy K20

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd just position it where it needs to go, add some duct tape and bailing wire... and call it a day. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Maybe thats just me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! BLAZERFEST!!!! You Ready Fartknocker!? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i've seen Keith's and he has his tabs welded strait to the top of the pumpkin. i've heard that there can be issues with welding to the cast pumpkin but i know jack about that subject /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    but as for i being on top of the pumpkin it's a great loacation.

i've also seen this set-up in action, with him turning his 42's and it held.

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Greg,

MOO Can build a D60 Diff Cover with the mount on the top for your hi-steer. I have a pair of their covers and they are bash proof!

Can someone get me some dimensions on where your Hi-Steer bar is in relationship to the axle tube or some other stationary part of the D60? I could make sure the cover could be built. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! BLAZERFEST!!!! You Ready Fartknocker!? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

.....is ANYONE? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

If it weren't for club events, I'd never have the motivation to do a-million-changes-at-once!!!! ARGH! It's the same thing every year, when will I ever learn?

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

If it weren't for club events, I'd never have the motivation to do a-million-changes-at-once!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

A truer sentance has never been written.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Well I just welded the tabs to the top of the 60 and the other tabs to my tierod. Like Beater74 said I turned those 42's with no problem. If it didn't break off on that trail ride I should be good. Several people said I needed to weld it special. I set my Miller for 1/4 and put some nice fat beads on it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Greg,
    I also have an ORD high steer setup with WTO Hydro. I used 2"x3" box about 4" tall welded to the top of the axle tube next to the drivers side spring pad. I then welded a flat plate and the tabs with the ram to the top of the box. This puts the ram parallel with the tie rod. I mounted the fixed end of the ram to my new mount and the other end at full lock turning right clears the top of the diff housing and stops just before hitting the passenger spring. BTW I have 4" springs and about 1" zero rate for lift.
    Hope this helps. Pm me if you have any other questions.

11. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well from what I understand now, the Chunk and the Ears where the king pin mounts are Forged steel and not cast. That being said, Forged steel you can supposedly weld to like normal. That being said, Keith has not ripped his off yet... couse he has not drove his K5 in a few weeks.

Damn boy hurry up and fix it.

Depdog

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Any ideas, or obvious "no no's" based on what I've described so far????

[/ QUOTE ]
    make sure you have enough room for the little the tie rod is going to move back twards the axle while traveling its arc.
    Grant