Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wuz A K5 UPDATE 12/12 w/Pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DBLAZER, Dec 5, 2002.

1. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Yes folks, that's right. The "K5" is back in the shop and finally on the home stretch. The last time I posted anything it was with the pictures of the bobbed rear end. It then sat for about 6 months while I got the money and comps together to finish it up.

About two weeks ago, we (JUSTIN HOLT @ Rocktek Engineering) and I pulled the K5 into the shop and got back to work.
    The first thing on the agenda was the removal of my old 14bolt FF (which is for sale BTW for 350$) and the removal of all the springs and hangers and such. We then cut off the 35 some odd inches of frame that was protruding from the ass and of the rig. We pulled the new 14bolt in and put about where we wanted it. We then set about pulling my Atlass so we could install the KLUNE V. we wanted this so we could determine how far back I wanted to push the axle. The Klune is supposed to push the tcase back 6 inches. Well, with the adapter and the "foot" it totals out to about 7.5". So we got it put together, and back in the truck. I will give a more detailed post on the Klune later on down the line if yall like. But for now I will say this.
    When I received it I was very impressed with the product. The Klune itself is a very cool looking piece. They have put a whole lot of time into engineering this thing. The directions, well, they lack something to be desired. I was unimpressed by the lack of goo pictures and the way the directions did not apply to my applications at all. The install took us a couple of hours, but a lot of that time was spent deciphering the pictures and directions. Understand this, I know most people say I don’t need the directions, however this is a very expensive piece a machined aluminum, and I wanted to make sure it was done right.
    With the Klune in we decided to push the rear axle back 6". We measured and measured and measured again and then we set the axle in place and got to work fabbing the upper coil buckets into the rear frame. Justin had already prebuilt the upper and lower coil mounts. We decided to mount the rear buckets IN the rear frame, so we notched the frame, mounted the upper mount and the set out to boxing the frame back in so it would have strength. The lower control arms were built and installed. We used forward leaf spring mounts as the upper mounting position on the frame. The upper arms were then fabbed up and built. We used a thinner DOM tubing for the upper arms because of the way we bent them and ran them up to frame. They are basically a y with the open end arms mounting on the frame and then coming up to the center and forming one arm that is mounted on a new crossmember with a 1.25" heime joint. We then installed the Skyjacker 8" Coils.

With the rear all done we used a fork lift to twist it up and well, let me say that I am very excited to get this thing out on the trail because it all seemed to work very well.

With all that done, Justin put some very serious time into the belly skid and the new crossmember that we were going to need to support the 700r4, the Atlass and the Klune. It is hard to describe what the new belly looks like, but put simply, it is very tucked up and very smooth and very COOL!!! It has a very flat center section now that will slide up and over anything!!!

With that done we turned the truck around and last we set to taking it all apart we removed the axle, pulled the leafs, and removed what was left of the core support.

As it sits now, the radiator is al that is left up front. I am going to lower it two inches and tuck it in closer to the engine. I am trying to achieve as much visibility as I can. We sat and stared at it last night for hours planning and playing with my "new" Ford Taurus headlights. I think we have it figured out which direction we are going to go and how the front will look. I think.... That’s all for now, I gotta run!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see more pics at my WEBSHOTS PAGE

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Wuz A K5 project UPDATE!

Okay, what is a "Klune" ???? Also PICS !!!!!!!!

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The Klune-V is an overdrive or underdrive unit added to the tranny/t-case combo to do just that...give you more power or more cruising range. There are options between them when deciding what you want to use it for. They are also costing a pretty penny to buy, too.

4. thatK30guy

Nashu, is there anything left that is still an identifiable GM part on your truck? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

The CAB!!!!! pretty much kinda sorta!!!!

6. thatK30guy

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

awesome truck!!!

8. a2b

a2b Registered Member

never seen a bobbed k-5. pics would be great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Klune is a planetary reduction box...a doubler of a different kind. 2.72 low range and 1:1 high range using a NP241 planetary set.

You might be thinking of the Gear Vendors under/over drive unit Wes.

Rene

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

WE DEMAND PICS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

sounds sweet, lets see some pictures.

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

click my webshots in my sig...although mine's not as hacked as nash's...it's one of the first bobbed K5s in existance.

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

actually now that i think about it, it's actually probably almost as hacked as nash's.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

you can gert klune Vs down to 5.3:1!!!!!

imagine a 5.3:1 klune and a 4:1 doulber behind a PAIR of 465s!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hello class, can we say overkill???

imagine it with a manual and 3:1 gears in the 203!

6.55 x 4 x 3 x 1.96 x 5.13 axle = 790:1 crawl ratio.

and hey, if that wasn't enough, you could get 3.33:1 portals
    PORTALS

And then your crawl ratio would be 2631:1, rounded down /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifListen folks, I have been very busy BUILDING, not taking pics. I have had a year of pictures, I am reaady for the real thing. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

OK, I will get some pics up this weekend, either here or at Rocktek.ws wich byu the way already has pics of the bobbed body on it. I will get updated shots ASAP!!!

17. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Man... Nash you've been a busy person lately..
    Nice work.. I like your truck now. but I drooled over it when you wheeled with us at the Slab along time ago..
    Can't wait to see the completed project. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Dude thats sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I really like the box under the seats. That looks like a good way to fix a floor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for the rest of the truck...I wish I had the balls to do that to mine . /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

19. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I got to see this "thing" the other day---this thig is awesome. the way the rear is made is real trick and excellent fab work. Nash is a cool guy to boot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif some day ill have to show you around Las Cruses.

p.s. I think you're gonna have to change something in your sig. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

It used to look like this /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    now it looks kinda like this--> [​IMG]

20. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

OK I added Pics!!!! DANG!!!