Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wwaaa...a plastic fender?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by PeteH, Jun 4, 2005.

1. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

someone gave me a PLASTIC fender off of (what I think) a silverado. Looks like a 1999 and up type bedside fender off a silverado...but i cant seem to find exactly where it came from. It has z71 decal on the side and its PLASTIC.not even fiberglass. anyone know what years or what chevrolet/gm trucks had plastic bedsides? Its not a stepside just a normal straight fender.

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Must be from a truck with a composite bed. I think GM calls it the probox or something but yeah its all composite...

3. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

sweet found this on a site...
    The box's fenders and outer tailgate panel are made of reinforced reaction injection molded (RRIM) materials, chiefly polyurea with mica filler. The one-piece inner panel and the inside of the tailgate are formed by a structural reaction injection molding (SRIM) process and consist of a 50/50 mix of urethane and glass fiber. The interior of the box and tailgate are painted with a dark gray "spatter paint" that provides a tough, pebbly surface as well as protection from ultraviolet rays.

The use of composite materials reduces the total weight of the truck by approximately 50 lbs., which improves fuel economy and payload carrying capability. The tailgate alone is 15 lbs. lighter than a current steel tailgate.

4. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

anybody know where i can get another one of these fenders? i need a right bedside fender