Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wyotech on Saturday

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Sep 13, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

Anyone heading out to Sacramento on Saturday to check out the new Wyotech building or to sign up? I heard there will be a small rock crawling thing by Xtreme 4x4 or something. I get to go sign up for classes and stuff and hope they accept me when I graduate high school...so who else is going?

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

"Accept" you? Wyotech will take anyone that can pay. Mine was going to be $24,000 for 6 months diesel and 3 months gas with apt. Said no thanks when I found out the local community college was doing Diesel classes for $650 a semester. $2,000 later I have the same training and didn't have to leave home.... :D

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

I will be taking the Hot Rod & Chassis fab and the custom fab and high performance engines...i want to get a job in the hot rod scene.

4. 89GMCSuburban

Good luck, last I checked for the Laramie location, there was a year and a half wait for the class. Not too sure about the new place.

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

thanks, i believe its doubled in size in Sac now...

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i've had two trainees at work. one was in progress from a local tech school, one had graduated from nascar tech in charlotte. neither of these kids had any idea about anything. seems like they fill the kids full of theory, but no practice. i got my exp. on the job. went to school for engineering, drank too much and here i am. going on 13 years exp.

and the "hot rod scene".....looks great on tv....but i dont think that there is any real money there (for the techs at least) unless you own and run your own shop. im sure that they make a living but at what cost? working all night long...prob no overtime. i work alot less hours and prob make as much as they do. lets face it, the "hot rod scene" may go away once you can't buy gas anymore, but people will always need a car (gas, diesel, hybrid, electric, whatever).

ryan

7. PsychoticDeadGuy

ya, my uncle went to wyotech, he said they did do a lot of hands on stuff. my neighbor works at a dealer and they get young kids fresh out of a tech school and he said the only ones that know anything are the ones that have alot of hands on experiance and wyotech. thats why im not going to any of the other tech schools.

8. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

some tech schools have an apprenticeship program that you go to school 3 months, work 3 months, etc etc...most gm dealers are involved. they actually "sponsor" you. what happens at my dealership (and im sure its similar to other places) is that once you complete school, after your first year of employment, they will give you back your first year of tuition ($$$). after the second year the give you back another year of tuition. so you get to go to school for free.

ryan

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

wow. that is really cool. i gotta ask my neighbor about that and the counselors at the school on saturday.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

we are hearing both ways on the wyotech thing in this thread

hmmmm

interesting

some say its crap and others say its great

whhats the real deal ?

i was gonna go to laramie one a couple years ago i even took the 100 0dolalr entry test thing and my fafsa form and all that but was told about how its crap and everyhthing, so i didnt go

i was gonna go for collision and/or diesel

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haven't heard a graduate complain. I'm a present student(not far from grad), and I think the school is pretty good. Needs improvement but hey maybe Sacramento will be that. Biggest problem I've found is just the other students, and there is just no getting around that.

12. 89GMCSuburban

Any school you go to, you're going to enter the real world and know absolutely jack. They teach you to do the job the RIGHT way. Well, there's the right way and the fast way, and I'm sorry to say it, the only way you make money with warranty work is do it the fast way. You just have to not be paranoid about letting something go that isn't done the right way. For example....this guy's getting a clutch. Those cross pins and fork and getting worn. You recommend replacement. He doesn't want it. Put it together as best you can and at least get it out the door. If he drives off then comes back and complains his new clutch is hanging up, they can look to your story where it says "Customer refused cross pins and fork" and tell him you need another 7 hours labor to get it done right. It sucks.

Tech school won't improve your hack skills, time will. You can pay MUCH less at a community college and come out with the same knowledge. Like i said.... $24,000 or $2,000, you come out with the same knowledge. The benefits of Wyotech are apparently that they'll help you find a job for the rest of your life. Well..... There's one guy at work who has been waiting 8 months for this guy to call him back with a job listing, even just one.

It's all in what you want to do. There are plenty of local colleges you'll get the same education at for much less. Just weigh ALL your options, check out some local schools, and make your decision.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh, I know kids going to auto tech programs at community colleges who can't tell me how a TPS sensor works...

The greatest thing I've learned at school is this, I don't think "throw that part at it and see if its fixed". Someone tells me there is something wrong, I think of all the parts that it could be. An education DEFINETALLY saves you a lot of time and speeds you up I think. I mean, what if you think it is a TPS and its really the wiring? If you never break out the DVOM how would you know? You throw a TPS on it and problem persists. Great now you spent money and time you didn't have to. To each his own, I picked Wyotech and so far don't regret it, but I'm still in school.

14. 89GMCSuburban

You are also forgetting that most legitimate shops have test sensors, modules, ecm's, etc. If I suspect an ECM, I replace it with a test one in about 15 seconds and see if that fixes it. Meanwhile, someone else has the DVOM and chewed up all their 7/10ths diagnosis time with it. NO point in DVOM testing wiring and everything when you can pop in a sensor, and if that doesn't fix it, you put the old one back in and keep checking. Trust me, you will see when you get out into the real world and see how the parts counter can work for you.

If someone is in an auto class and doesn't know how a TPS works, they either don't belong in an auto (or diesel) program or they haven't gotten to that point yet. If an auto program doesn't teach you how one works? There should be no program....but that is why you ASK questions about the program BEFORE you sign up. Just going to a high price school to save you asking questions about less expensive schools sure sounds like an expensive way to do things.

I have a wyotech diesel grad in my training program with me. Guy knows how to R&R like a sum-bitch, but my times are higher. Point? We both went to school. His was $17,000, mine was $2,000, we're at the same level, but my times are faster. He also did not know how to change parameters with the CAT ET program. In the end? It's not the school, it's you, and how bad you want it. Now...................for the big question.................. How far do YOU want to go, and how important is a 10 year student loan to you that you HAVE to pay regardless of how much you get paid as a novice.....?

15. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I signed up for classes at the Laramie campus in July and will be starting in January. I am super excited about it, I did my homework and talked to tons of students and I hardly heard one bad thing about the school, infact pretty much everyone I have talked to wishes they could go back, that is how much they liked it! I even talked to Jesse Combs from extreme 4x4 when I was in sturgis this year, she basically told me they just teach you the basics, I then asked her if she thought she would be where she is today without wyotech and she didnt really have an answer for me(think she may have been a little tippsy :haha: ), but anyway she was the only one I heard something negative from(if that is negative?), But who knows if you can even trust what she says, maybe the school pissed her off at some point with being a big tv star now and all? I went and toured the campus last month and was blown away! It was definately more than I was expecting, everything is kept very profesional, instructors look top notch and seemed very nice and helpful, and it was just a posotive atmosphere! I would find it hard to beleive that any local technical school would have a facitlity to match Wyotech's. Oh and I am signed up for 6months auto tech, 3months chassis fab and high performance engines, and 3months business management. I am also thinking of signing up for the hot rod class once I get down there. Yes it is expensive, but this is your career we ar talking about here! I mean most people dont even think twice about going out and droping 30k on a vehicle! Plus you only live once, I say if you can do it, go for it!

16. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Oh and another thing about Wyotech is they have job fairs like every 3weeks(or is it months?) where people from all parts of the automotive and diesel industry come in and look for perspective employees, you can be ill be attending every one of those! They also have a 93% placement rate!

17. 89GMCSuburban

Yeah, but the guys that drop $30,000 on a truck can AFFORD it! :crazy: I have enough of a hard time paying all my bills at $14 an hour.

You taking your truck to Laramie? If so, some definite wheeling trips should happen with you just being up the road....

18. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I made the mistake of taking my emissions problems to the autotech guys at the community college i was attending(for ag business). Ive never seen anyone throw so many sensors at something to see if it works. Funny thing was it just kept throw O2 codes until I replaced the mass air flow a year later. They need to be teaching that very thing that your are learning everywhere.

19. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Haha, yeah im just hoping I get a job that will pay my bills once im done with school. Im hoping to get a job in the aftermarket industry more than be a technician but I understand that I will probably have to take a regular technician job for a while anyway to get the experience, and im fine with that! The main reason I picked Wyotech over a comunity college course is for the specialty courses, and I will worry about the cost in the end.

I am hoping I can take my K5, it is still in the completion phase so weather I get it done in time is the deciding factor :doah: . I still have to install the front D60 and rear 14ff as well as get both rebuilt and regeared, install the SYE I have, get front and rear driveshafts made, and i some other small details. My wallet is what is slowing me down :doah: , I have everything except the gears, rear locker and driveshafts which is going to be a huge hit especially trying to save up and get supplies for my move! So hopefully I can do it, if not I have a '93 4runner that is mostly stock but I do wheel it and that will be going with me for sure so I will have something to wheel with at least!