Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wyotech

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Apr 22, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

always see the ads on speed channel, I'm thinking I may go to Wyotech. either for their Street Rod & Custom fabrication course or their Chassis Fabrication & High Performance engines course. Leaning way more towards Street Rod & Custom fabrication course. Really want to learn and get into that stuff. Working in a rod shop is my true dream /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Ever known anyone or yourself gone to Wyotech? I'm pretty certain the chassis/engine course would be the same stuff I can pick up on my own out of magazines and from old rodders, where as the body work and such it something I really need to be taught.
    http://wyotech.com/specialtystreetrod.asp
    http://wyotech.com/specialtychassis.asp

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

so how much is it, how long are the classes?
    I need to do something to /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I'm going to Techskills tomorrow to look into some networking and admin stuff /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't know yet, they are suppossed to send me information and call me very soon and talk to me. This is the first time I'm REALLY considering a school. Its like 4 hours from home so I can drive home on weekends and such too.

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

When I was in high school (1983) we took a field trip to Laramie, WY to tour the school, it was pretty good then but Ive heard its really nice now. I also owned an auto repair shop and got a few resumes from graduating students when I was looking for a mechanic. Seems like a very professional school. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've been thinking about getting some type of apprenticeship at a hot rod shop or something, but school is probably the best bet, I'm sure I will start out right back as the bottom of the barrel but at least it will be easier to get that job.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What would you do after you learn that stuff? Open up your own shop? I am considering something along those lines eventually...

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

My brother just got out of Wyotech about a year ago. He loved it. He went through the deisel course and he says now he has 2 associates and 4 of those mechanic certifications. Its pretty pricy though but if you get top of your class you get all your tuition back a full set of snapon tools and a great contract with a company. They not only teach you mechanics but you also learn shop management and you have to wear a tie and stuff to class. Its a really good school.

Nick

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Talk to people who graduated from there and see how their job placement service is. I've seen many people go to trade schools only to be screwed because so many people require experience(regardless of what you know or where you went to school) and the businesses that don't usually pay very low...

9. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been thinking about getting some type of apprenticeship at a hot rod shop or something, but school is probably the best bet, I'm sure I will start out right back as the bottom of the barrel but at least it will be easier to get that job.

[/ QUOTE ]

While you are young get education, trust me. You'll never regret education down the road. You're going to a well respected tech school, close to home, cant do any better than that! Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wanted to go to UTI for similar stuff(theirs is more like the chassis and engine course I don't want so much) and they are in like Arizona, being close to home is definetally a big plus.

11. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    I wanted to go to UTI for similar stuff(theirs is more like the chassis and engine course I don't want so much) and they are in like Arizona, being close to home is definetally a big plus.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go to UTI in Phoenix you'd have to hang out with people like me, be warm in the winter and hot in the summer and go rock crawling all the time /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif, you'd be better off sticking close to home till you graduate. You'll do very well.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

warm in the winter hot in the summer, would be too much of a shock to the system for cold blooded me, I'm plenty happy in a tshirt and 20 degree temps thank you.

13. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    warm in the winter hot in the summer, would be too much of a shock to the system for cold blooded me, I'm plenty happy in a tshirt and 20 degree temps thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a big change for me coming from up North, but I really like the Fall, Winter, Spring......but the summers are loooong and blazing hot. I guess thats what the swimming pool is for.

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

You can never go wrong with education.

The more the better!!!

Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but the summers are loooong and blazing hot.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Quit yer bitchin! There's no humidty over there! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I was seriously thinking of going to Wyotech on the GI Bill when I get out of the Marines. I requested the info package and got a video and stuff. You should get contacted by a recruiter type guy. I think his name is Ryan Robine. I changed my mind though. I already have an AS degree in Automotive Technology, but I really want to learn how to paint and do custom body work/hot rod stuff. It kind of seems like the only place your really going to make some bucks doing that is in California. I could never live out there. So basically I would only be taking the class to pursue a really cool hobby, not to make money. I just can't justify it right now. I think I would feel a little out of place as a veteran, being 27, married, and already having a degree in a class full of 19 year old ricerboys wanting to learn to paint. So I took a job instead. I'll probably regret not going a year from now though.
    If you do it and can afford it take all the extra classes you can. They have all kinds of cool stuff. Oh and don't shortchange yourself by not going to the shop management portion of the school. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    Quit yer bitchin! There's no humidty over there!

[/ QUOTE ]

When its 120 deg we tell ourselves......at least its a dry heat! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there are a few rod shops around here, sure you'd get rich and famous in Cali but making a living doing something I enjoy is all I care about.

19. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Me and a friend actually signed up to start at wyotech in Blairsville, PA this past january, but things didn't go as planned to say the least..

First off the school is crazy expensive for only a 12-15 month program, i mean granted your getting special hands on education but still $$$.

Second, they had to have been the most unorganized, unhelpful school ever. From not returning phone calls, to misplacing tuition info, to not offering housing and because it's such a short tech school you don't get much financial assistance.

Third, they glorify the classes like hot rod, chassis fab, high performance engines, but what they don't really tell you is before you can even think of taking those, you have to take 9 months of either A. automotive, B. Diesel, or C. auto body. Then it's only 3 months of the cool classes (hot rod, chassis fab, high performance engines)

But really when it came down to it, it was all about the $$$. You're at school from 7:30-4pm or 4:30-1am, and since there's no dorms you have to work full time to afford an apartment, and feed yourself (no cafeteria). But once you get past that stuff I still think it was a cool school when we went and took the tour /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Maybe you'll have better luck since you live in PA allready. Good Luck!!

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

oh and i know your into tatts, not sure about piercings but they are real strict on dresscode /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif example: no visible piercings anywhere. no facial hair other than a trimmed neat mustache. sideburns no lower than your earlobes, and have to come straight down. hair no longer than your eyebrows in front, ears on the side, and your shirt collar in the back. just a few examples...