Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wyotech

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Txchevy18, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Ok guys Ive got a few questions on wyotech for those attending, considering it or have already been.
    I was acepted last may to the larmie campus and was scheduled to begin in june but that didnt happen. My dad kicked me kicked out and basically I had no way to afford to get every together and get myself up there a 24hour drive one way on 40's w/ a carb, with the way gas prices were.
    Well Im starting to get back on my feet now and am in the process of getting things together so I can attend. I was called yesterday day by a rep from the school telling me I could go in nov., but I dont see my self able to make it by then, hoping maybe march/april or next june. I am applying for financial aid so hopefuly that will help. I want to take auto/diesel (6mo) , The bussines course (3mo), and metal fab and hi performane engines (3mo). Well Since ill be up there over a year what kind of cash do I need saved to beable to survie w/ ou a job so I can soely focus on school. I really want to open my own shop but would rather have some guidance rather that just try and wing it.
    Also is the snap on discount worth it or should I look at other avenues to get my tools. Also any idea on other cost that I will have to cover?

From what I was told $400/month for rent. $100 tool deposit, Im figure atleast $1600 in gas money as long as prices hold out thats there and back w/ a lil left to get to school and maybe a lil offroadin. And about 2k for just extra stuff im forgetting and food. IM pretty much on my own as of now so I figure Ill get a job up there anyways since I ill probally take nite classes.
    Any tips or suggestion yall have im all ears.

Thanx
    Cory

2. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Here is a few things I experienced while there. Try to take ASM first. I know that if it had been my last class, I probably wouldn't have taken it. If you can do it first, that will make Chassis Fab your last class and leave you in a better state of mind to get going with your career. ASM sucks, but it's worth the 3 months for extra piece of paper.

When I went, I got an extra like $5-6k added on top of my loan for living expenses because I wanted to focus just on school. I got a check from the school once a month for I think it was $575. Don't stay in school housing. Almost all of if it is ****ty and then you have them up your ass all the time doing room checks and what not. My 5th week there, I came home a little late for lunch one day and the "maintanence" guy was in my apt snooping around. He must have been up to something because I couldn't get the door to unlock and when I finally did, he was standing in my face when I opened the door. I moved out a week later. I found a room for rent with some locals for about $250 a month (cheaper than the school housing). You can also rent a house with a few other guys and split it to make it cheap too. It was tight on the $575 (rent, food, gas, smokes, etc.) a month that I got, but I made it on lots of sandwiches and hamburger helper. If you can control yourself, you can live there pretty damn cheap.

As far as the Snap-On deal, it depends on what you are going to be doing when you graduate. You have to ask yourself if the $10k loan for tools is something that is going to help you or if it's just to say "I have X amount of Strap-on tools."

If you are wanting to work a little. It may help to start in June. That way the college kids are mostly all gone and there will be more jobs available. Laramie is a little town with a lot of labor available, so that's something to think about.

With the little money I got each month, I was still able to go out wheeling with my buddies and do stuff. I'm really good at managing and stretching money though. You'll also discover when you get there that there is lots of opportunity to do lots of part swapping with a few thousand other gearheads just like you. That helps a lot with any builds you have going on.

There is a few guys on here that are up there right now. Maybe they'll chime in on recent goings up there.

3. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

THat sounds about what I was thinking. Any other suggestions r welcome
    Thanx
    Cory

4. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

bump for the night crowd. Anyone have any other experinces?

5. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I didn't attend Wyotech, but I was able to find a well paying job that really worked with me and my school schedule. They ended up paying for me to get my ASE Certification and I was making more money in my part time college job than I did when I first graduated and went into the Air Force. All I'm saying is that jobs like that are out there, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss having a part time job while a full time student.

6. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Ya the recruiter that I talked to said teh same thing about asm. Right now my course schedule should be Asm, auto mech, diesel mech ( hydro and drive train), And metal fab.

Im also seriously considering taking them at nite instead of during the day. Ive heard its more relaxed at nite since there isnt any tour or head guys walking around. :D

Ill more than likely end up work some kind of job. Im sure ill need cash to feed my 4x4 addiction exspecially when I have acess to all those tools.:bow:

Also, I deffinetly plan on staying some where else after the first month or so. I have heard some horror stories about there housing...

Fabjunkie: Where did you et your loan? Did you have any1 co sign? Ive been have a little trouble finding a loan with out crazy high intrest rates.:doah:

O ya I Got a 400 scholarship that I recived from the local corrvete club so I guess Ive got gas money to make it there now:laugh:

On a side not my recruiter metioned that having a 4x4 IS a big plus up there to beable to make it to class after it snows true or total bs?

Thanx guys,
    Keep it comin

7. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Definately do nights. It is a lot more laid back, and in my experience, the instructors in nights are cooler and let you get away with a little more. Get to be buddies with the instructors too. Just don't be a complete jackass or stick your nose up there ass and they're pretty damn cool. It pays off later when you're in chassis fab and need to change tires or do an alignment after doing an sas. :wink1: When I was there, they didn't have ASM nights, but I think that has changed. Another benefit to nights is that you can run errands, etc during the day when everything is open. The town shuts down around 5-6.

I got a federal loan with a co-signer (mom). You said that your dad isn't helping at all, but that might make it a little easier to get one with out the extra income, but may be harder due to no co-signer. Talk with the ladies in the financial dept up there, they really do help with stuff.

The need of a 4x4. Well I'll put it this way. I left my hubs locked for over four months so I could just reach down and kick it into 4wd. Kept me from having to get out of the truck several times. Especially on nights. You'll start at 4:30 with it 60* outside. When you get out at 1:40am, they'll be a couple feet of the white stuff on the ground. :D

8. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Wow thanks fabjunkie youve been a great help thus far. I cant wait to go Im sick of working bs jobs and not making decent pay check each week.

I talked to my grandparents and found that they are willing to help me out and that my granny on my mothers side has 2k waiting for me if I go.:bow:

I have tommrow off so i think im gonna go by teh banks and see what kinda of lans I can get with a cosigner. I may try and leave in to weeks if I can make it all come together.

As to the strap on tools my dad runs and offroad shop in town and all he ever had was craftsman tools. I figure If I break mine ill ugrade till then there a 10th the price and get teh job done just the same.

A few more questions what are teh requirements for inspection u there? smog, lift laws, tire size ect.
    And btw fabjunkie what corsues did you take and were they worth it. I have to friends that came back and are unemloyed... And out of curiosty where do you work now?

Thanx
    Cory

9. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

well im into my last three months and i have got to say make sure you have about $9000 in extra cash. i had about 6k in savings with help from mom and dad paying housing and im on my last penny. look at it this way save as much money as you can. i make lunch and i have a freezer full of deer meat for dinner. with your situation your gonna want to make sure that you have enough to live on, (housing if you go that route) and of course food, gas, and other expenses. since you will have to pay more than i do since i have help from mom and dad, you have it a little tougher. but also take into consideration that your truck needs money to, sometimes when you least expect it. i spent 2 months and $1000 fixing my blazer before i came up here, and i felt like the thing was bullet proof. but i was soon proven wrong and all the little things you forget about start breaking so save some extra for that and try to keep a budget. sometimes at the end of the month you have some extra, dont just go out and blow it, save it incase you truck might break down and your gonna need it. also keep perfect attendance. it was a life saver in EMS and Drivetrain because you have some good tools and a dry floor to work with. Any other questions ya need about wyotech just ask, im still here until december

10. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I sent you a PM... I'm attending Wyotech right now

11. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Well tommrow Im goin to the bank tommrow im going to the bank to see about a loan. I was thinking about 8k or so to live on and cover insurance and my cell and stuff. I m hoping mine will be close to bullet proof for a lil while. Im in the middle of a 1 ton swap 60/14 w/yukon 4130 shafts and super joints along w/ a detriot. X-over w/ hydro assist ,ss brake lines, 52" spring swap and 16" travle procomp resivour shocks(i got em cheap) I hope to pull the motor in a week or so its started knocking after I lost my air filter for a mild rebuild and a set of vortech heads. Hopefully I wont have any trouble out of it... knock on wood...

Btw what cell phone carriers work u there?

12. Seafarer76

Seafarer76 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would definately see about rooming with someone here. There's always someone in need of a roomie. I am here at the university for another couple years, and if you can't find a tech'er to room with, give me a pm and I'll ask around at my school.

As far as cell phones, Verizon has the best coverage around here. Cingular has coverage, but you can't get a Laramie number. Qwest is iffy.

13. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I don't think Wy has inspection and pretty sure there is no smog. With some of the rigs running around Laramie, I wouldn't worry about lift laws or the like.

I took ASM, Auto (full 6 mos), Chassis Fab, and Street Rod. I worked for a rod shop for a while right out of school, but wasn't making enough. I went back to drafting cause it paid the bills easier. Overall, I feel it was worth it. It's good for self discipline and the overall knowledge you gain. I don't typically use what I learned there day to day, but was definately worth it. I know that I can walk into just about any fab shop with a couple projects that I did there to show the prospective employer and get the job.

Like buffblazer said, go for perfect attendance. There's not a lot that comes from it, but the accomplishment is nice. My two goals while I was there were perfect attendance and at least a 90 grade average. I got the attendance the entire time and came out with a 92 average. I could have done better on my grades, but I didn't push myself to do it. There were a couple other guys that were in most of my classes (one was the Valedictorian when I graduated) who were really striving to be at the top in each class. I knew what it meant to them and wasn't going to battle for it. With that said, I was still in the top 2-3 people of each class. The stuff isn't that hard if you're commited to it.

I don't know what the bank is going to do for a student loan. This is what I did and is probably your best bet. Like I said, talk to the ladies in the financial dept up there or to your recruiter. I did all my paperwork through the school.

14. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

MTChevy what class are you in right now? but regarding cell phones, i have Altell and it works good, i can call anywhere and i really dont have problems connecting or losing them, but when i leave laramie, i start roaming in colorado all the way down to oklahoma. no emissions laws either, if they did i know that i would fail. also the first thing you will here when you get up to laramie, is that the police cant stand tech students. but the police are not as bad as they say, most of the people that say that are the ones that do stupid things and deserve to get in trouble. other than that there cool, i have never had a problem with them and usally they will be nice and help out if you need it.

15. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I'm taking automotive, then chassis fab/hi po, then the 3 mo diesel