Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wyotech

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Txchevy18, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Ok guys I know I want to do something hands on. Im 18 and I cant stand to sit at a desk for more than a few hours. Ive worked at my dads performance shop for a while but, that fell apart and im now w/my grandparents for the time being. I also worked an operator fo heavy machinery and an apprentice Mechanic. I really have an intrest for metal fab but havent had much of a chance to pirsue it. Im 18 and am sick of just living from job to job and kind of sitting in limbo. I graduated in the top of my class but, have never been to intereseted in going to a 4 year college.

I was planning on going to Wyotech but, Ive started to do a little back ground research and have started to find out a scary truth about most technical schools. Seems to be that they are great at recruiting but the promtional stuff is just smoke and mirriors. ALso found that most dealerships look at your diploma from them with out much notice! Im looking at droping close to 40k if I attend for the classes I want and dont wanna get the shaft.

I already know quite a bit but, I have learned it all the hard way. Would I just be wasting my time? I can already do most suspesion mods such as sfa's and ive also built a 4 link setup for a friend. Im pretty good with electrical and am now starting to learn more of the technical side of engines and tuning. But again these have also be trial and error affairs.

Yet finding an automotive shop to work in has been just about impossible. Ive also been offered a job at 4wheelparts off 610 so. In houston,Tx but, its 50 miles one way.:doah: The 8mpg k5 wouldnt help with the fincial stuff right now for that kind of a comute.

Heres a few links I have found concerning this issue.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/results.asp?q1=ALL&q2=Wyoming&q3=&q4=&q5=&q6=&q7=&SearchType=1&Entry=16&DateRange=6&hasPhoto=

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=154842
    yeah im not a big fan of the tech, well after coming here atleast.
    i recomend dont waste your money on it! Found as a replyon this fourm.

So are these a just morons that didnt apply themselves or is this shedding some light on the whole situation?

Btw I looking to attend the Larime, Wy campus 24+ hours away from me.
    Automech/diesel 9mo 25k
    asm 3mo Get an associates degree 8500
    Chasiss Faband high po engines 3mo 7500
    PLus living expenses. 323 mo rent

Any feed back I can get from anyone who has heard anything about wyotech or that has atteneded or is attending I would greatly apreciate.

Thanks
    Cory

Edited for spell check, Was never great in eng.

2. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

wyotech is suppose to be a good school aint never heard anything bad about it i went to lincoln tech in indiana and its like u said there good a recruiting and the rest is bs

3. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

I hadnt either untill I stared todo a lil research after my buddy came back and is now working the same job he left at the same pay. Discount tire.... But now hes 35k in the hole.

I did a little more looking and found out about Texas State Technical College. Seems they are state funded, offer everything under the sun automotive or other wise and the total cost for 5 semesters is about a 1/4 what I would pay at Wyotech for 15mo and there only 5 hours away.. The downside is that is a longer time there and you have to supply your own tools. I applied for more info so I guess we'll see. Www.tstc.com

4. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Search for Wyotech on here. It's come up a few times and there are a few guys there now. It is expensive, but depends on what you want to do. I've got some lengthy replies in the aforementioned threads.

5. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hey man, Im in Wyotech right now and I will tell you how I see it. If your coming to screw off, dont even bother. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. What you put in is what you get out. I pay great attention and dont drink my life away down here. I am really enjoying the school and the guy who said he didnt learn anything in automotive is a complete BS'er. I have learned a WHOLE lot in the 3 months ive been down here so far. 100% placement is off too... its more like 96 or so for auto. Guess what? you gotta put effort into getting a job too! crazy how that works. The people that say bad things are just on hoping for a free ride in my opinion.

If there is one thing that I do not like it is definatly the school housing. Quality is terrible and the restrictions and rules suck. Definatly find an apartment. I got an apartment with 2 other buddies and we are only paying about 75 dollars more a month than we would if we were in housing. The apartment is excellent.

So pretty much, if you come to learn you will definatly gain some knowledge. Is it worth it? I don't know yet but so far its a yes. If you arent going to put any effort into learning then you probably wont get a job through placement and you will probably have the same crap attitude as the rest of them. Any questions just ask. Im taking Automotive/ Chassis fab, high performance engines/ and Diesel

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

a friend went there. He knew nothing about mechanicing from the start and when he got out he still didn't and couldn't get a job and ended up in army. I see it as more of a polish up school. If you are good on mechanicing fundamentals it will take you places.

7. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My brother went to UTI which is pretty close to the same thing. He took every class avalible and graduated with honors. My brother is a quick learner and said that these schools are only good for the people who go in not really knowing anything. There is some good info to be had but for the most part it is alot a basics and not worth 40k. He now works at a local Custom motorcycle shop and says that he has learned more on the job in 6 monthes than he did in 2 years at UTI. He also work for a BMW shop before that and they told him that they would have hired him even without the UTI degree. Before you say that Wyotech is different, My brothers coworker went there and says that he feels the same way, you might want to check out http://www.wizardfabrications.com/ they are a vendor on here.

8. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

....Surprised no one has brought this up yet.

Txchevy18, regardless of what you decide to do, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T STOP LEARNING in a school environment. Your spelling and punctuation are terrible.

That is all.

hahahaha:haha: :haha:

9. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

WIzard fab

YA ive also been considering the wizard fab school ever since I caught wind of it. The problem is that there's not much in the sense of finacial aid and since im on my own that plays a big part into where i choose. My big worry is I go to wyotech and graduate and then find out that the training really didnt help me much. FOr 40 k I can buy quality tool set and brand new box as well as pay for the 2 year college course in waco, that gives me an associates in applied sciences and still have cash left over after living expenses.

I dont plan to go up there and party. If im putting fourth the cash for this then Im getting evey pennys worth out of it. Ive talked to several friends who went and said alot of the class is busy work and not worth the cash. Though while they di learn some most say they learned more teh first 3 months onteh jobs then they did at the school. Also have 2 friends that dropped out of uti after 2 months of their bs and are now in debut colse to 10k. Also that the pretty equipment you see in WYOTECH'S commercials is really there and it statys nice because no one is allowed to use it. Instead they use 10 or so mototrs that have been torn apart and rebuilt a 100 times, some wont even run due to improper assembly pior to testing. Also have seen may pics and from talking friends that class sizes of 50 plus to 1 or 2 teachers are also common. This all from friend sthat have attended so it makes me a little leary. Cosidering a buddy built an aut trans then waited 4 days to be signed of on the tranny. For the 4 days they basically bs'ed.

Im a jack of all trades but a master of none in a sense and would rather hone my skills and not have to sit and be taught the basics for the entire enrollment. Just having a hard time signing teh dotted line after having a second recruiter come by the other nite. HE at first acted liek he wante dme to sign up that instant but after hearing my background and knowledge kept saying things that seems to make me wonder if he was trying to get to give up on the idea like it wasnt for me and kept mking comments about how bad it is up there. Maybe he saw me for me and didnt wanna screw me like the others?

SO confused not sure what to do now...

10. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

Ya Thanx for that one... Im dislexic so that doesnt help much either. Most of the time I think of a word to write then skip it completely. ALso this crappy keyboard isnt helping me much. O well.. lol

11. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm gonna be going to Wyotech at the West Sacramento campus starting January 2nd, '07. I'm taking auto(6 months) and chassis fab-high performance engine(3 months). I went to Wyotech in Laramie in 2001 to take the diesel course, but I had financial aid problems so I couldn't finish. I didn't really enjoy my time in Laramie outside of school when I was there so because of that I won't go back to that campus. I have been told that the West Sacramento campus will have the diesel course by this time next year and if they do I might take that to finish what I started in Laramie.

Scott

12. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

some places also like to train you from the get go just so you know what they want you to know type deal. Where I work they send me to all sorts of schools and they pay for everythng, even my travel time and food and all and its knowledge for me no matter where I work later in life. Knowledge is something no one can take from you.

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

then dont go to UTI... i went there, graduated in 04. sure its a great school but wyotech is much better... you wont be disappointed with wyo.

14. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

i live in rock springs wyo and wyotech is in laramie i was looking into going there but the cost kept me from going
    i started working in body shops washing cars and moved up the ladder that way to body man/painter i seen many wyotech guys come threw they had the knowledge they just didn't know how to use it most of them got fired
    if you are willing to move anywhere there placement program is probably pretty good

i have a buddy that had his 69 chevelle back halved there the quality is just ok

but most places wont hire without experiance or schooling unless you start at the bottom

15. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

I work in sales at a high end antique/classic/muscle car/ street rod restoration shop in central NC. We have hired several guys out of Wyo Tech and they didn't last long here, they where unproductive and seemed to know it all, which wont float in my business. just my .02

steve

16. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Why not just go to A&M to get some engineering under your belt? Or talk to some of the local fab shops. I know there is not much there in Texas City. But there is a tranny shop there in Galveston that is mostly performance stuff. Or there is a shop that build off road trucks out off of 1488 in Magnolia When i was there in April I did not get a chance to see the trick but it was all tube chassis and it was blue. I will see if i can get the name of that place for you.

Some one said it earlier that most places today would rather have field experience over a book smart person. However a degree could help eventually. (just my .02 and that does not mean much...)

17. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

The A&m idea isnt to bad but, they cost an arm an a leg in tuition, I was accepted so I may look further into that though. I'm also going to look into a local engineering class around here. Im kinda starting to understand what yall are saying. Even when you can write down the exact step on how to do it, doesnt mean that you can actually preform the work to a T as well. I may go and see about a couple of big shops in this area and see they need some help and start at the bottom.

The exp. over book smarts is also a good point. I talked to a shop owner today and said he would rather have a guy with a year of exp. than a guy with a year of training.

I think the shop your refering to is All out Performance In magnolia, but i may be wrong.

Thanx guys keep it coming
    Cory

18. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ive heard a lot of guys say that about uti grads also... soon after i graduated from uti, i realized that i was book smart as all hell but had no practical knowledge or experience... so far, 2.5yrs later im doing very well for myself working for a concrete pumping company here in vegas. the education i got at uti helped me get where i am now but it wasnt the soul reason for it...

19. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

I think I may just try and see about finding a local shop and starting from the bottom and working my way up. I would be getting the expereince and knowledge the hard way. I would really like to open my own shop later on so I may persure some kind of education in engineering and buissnes.

On a side note I think I will finsh the k5 first before I go talk to the local shops. I figure I might have a better chance of being hired if I have proof of my work and knoiwledge on hand vs a stock dd and the mention of a project im working on..

Thanx alot guy yall have been a big help!
    Any other stuff you can add fell free to do so.

20. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

check out the fab school.
    a buddy of mine goes there and said if you wana do it right go there.
    ive HEARD that its better than wizard fab but i have no actual experience.
    if i had the money i would go to the fab school.